What is YOUR goto move: Side Control Edition

in no particular order........ kimoura, americana & far side armbar

twister side control into the electric chair than stoner control..

fucking names like these irritate the shit out of me..

combat stance.. bow and arrow choke..

c'mon!

Rickson Choke -

Lol, I'm sure it's a pretty common technique, but as with many other BJJ techniques you may call it something different.

Anyway, say you're in side control on the right side of your opponents body. If they get loose with their near arm, you feed your right arm under their arm and grip their collar. You then work to grip their far collar with the backside of your hand facing your opponents head. Once you have both grips your pull/drive your far hand across their neck trying to put their collar on the mat. I suck at descriptions, so hopefully that makes sense.

I like to go knee-on-belly, trap the far arm b/w my shoulder and head and move to north-south kimura.

i like to throw my leg over there head in a reverse triangle fashion and get to work on the far arm while hes worrying about the triangle

trap one arm in your legs and triangle it, cross face and keylock/kimura

i think im the only big guy (6'3 205) with crap side control.

the problem is the whole "control" part. no matter how low my hips are i cant ever seem to pin a guy down.

I generally work for the mount the bait an armbar with half assed choke attempts.

Are your knees on or off the mat? I had the same problem for awhile in side control. I'm 215 and people where just squirting out all the time. My problem was that I was constantly on my knees and so my weight wasn't really on them. I got into this habit trying to be nice to smaller people and didn't realize I was doing it all the time.

I asked one of the upper belts that I outweigh by at least 40 pounds how he makes himself feel like a ton of bricks on me. It's hard to describe but what he showed me was to get my hips low and on the person and then get onto my toes but with my knees barely hovering off the mat. Now my weight is actually on them and also I'm pushing into them. Once I got that down its was a whole diferent story. When someone your own size lets out a deep grunt you know you've got good pressure.

I do though still try and be careful with smaller less experienced folk. It sucks enough to be the new guy. Much less the new 160lbs guy getting steam rolled by an experienced 215lbs guy.

trap arm + keylock (but im a nub)

i use the keylock to set a lot up, mainly the darce, but i usually prefer to mount or kob before submitting.

Are your knees on or off the mat? I had the same problem for awhile in side control. I'm 215 and people where just squirting out all the time. My problem was that I was constantly on my knees and so my weight wasn't really on them. I got into this habit trying to be nice to smaller people and didn't realize I was doing it all the time.

I asked one of the upper belts that I outweigh by at least 40 pounds how he makes himself feel like a ton of bricks on me. It's hard to describe but what he showed me was to get my hips low and on the person and then get onto my toes but with my knees barely hovering off the mat. Now my weight is actually on them and also I'm pushing into them. Once I got that down its was a whole diferent story. When someone your own size lets out a deep grunt you know you've got good pressure.

I do though still try and be careful with smaller less experienced folk. It sucks enough to be the new guy. Much less the new 160lbs guy getting steam rolled by an experienced 215lbs guy.

Yeah, its exactly what im doing, plus im not smashing their face with my shoulder like i should... just bad habbits that i need to fix.

trap one arm between my legs causing a "branch up" position, then neck crank him opposite side. If i lose the position, then i go straight to "knee on belly" which sets up just about anything.

I like to bring my knee/shin and pin down one of their arms. From there I'll do a far side armbar or kimura from N/S. I like side control for taking a second to slow things down for a moment but most of my top attacks come from mount or N/S. Side control, not so much

You shouldn't really be worrying about submitting the person at this point if you don't have controll. You should start with knowing how to controll the person and keep them locked down rather than going straight for a submission. Especially if you are the bigger guy.

Perhaps the guys at your gym can see the pass coming and get the escape ready for when you pass. Then I would just prefer to go to north south because it has even more controlling abilities but less opportunities to set up submissions.

I'm a Catch guy not a BJJ so maybe I can give you something different.

Kimura or key lock first because they are the easiest and have a high success rate. I think most will agree.

If that doesn't work get your arm closest to his head under his head and dig your forehead into the eye brow bone or cheek bone. This hurts like a S.O.B. trust me. Your opponent will try to stop you from doing this by pushing your head away with his available arm. Wait for the pushing pressure and simultaneously snap your head up and push his elbow with your available arm (not the one under his head, duh). His arm should cross his face/neck. Now just trap his arm across his face with your head. Once his arm is across his face/neck and trapped you can submit him a bunch of ways. but I like these 2

#1 Lay your free arm next to the side of his head while your head is still trapping the arm. Grab your free tricep with your hand that is under his head and squeeze with your head while sinching your arms together. Get on your tip toes for more pressure. Depending where his arm gets trapped you will get either a choke or a pain submission.

#2 The Cobra choke.
If you can get this you are a stud. While you are trapping his arm across his face/neck reach under his head with your free arm and grab the wrist of the trapped arm. Now pull out the arm that was under his head and slide it through the gap between his bent elbow and his neck. Pull his wrist while forcing your forearm (that is between his elbow and neck) into his neck sinching off blood and oxygen. You may have to lock a leg to prevent rolling but if you do it right a roll won't save your opponent,

Do you BJJs know this stuff? If not what do you think of it?

Pfft. All these boring kimuras and keylocks! It's all about the triangle. This is my #1 move from any position. The guy's technique is off a bit, but the general move is the same. You also don't need the scarf hold to set it up, you can just do it straight from side with what I think of as the reverse grip (that being your left arm across his face and the right checking the hip).

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W3yLixy8Pvw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W3yLixy8Pvw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Back