What is your biggest regret in your life thus far?

You just described most jobs. I don't want to speak for anyone but I think one of the reasons people feel this way about leadership is because training, in general, is awful. I can't speak for the military but training especially in corporate environments is trash so when you are learning how to do something you usually feel bad because the people teaching it are bad. As George Carlin once said "Garbage in, garbage out."
That's true but I felt that in the military it was just more extreme. In my corporate jobs, there was at least an attempt at efficiency because the company would lose profits. I had shitty bosses but none as bad as the officers in the Army. And plus in corporate jobs, being incompetent doesn't usually lead to guys getting killed.

It's hard to say that I have serious regrets because reality is 70% of the world population would kill to have the life I have had, especially my childhood.

It's also tricky because most of my regrets can be spun as positive.

For example being more aggressive with education and career in my early twenties could be something I regret not doing but the trade-off would be I'd end up like half of my highschool classmates where they're working some soul-sucking job 50 hours a week and they're all miserable. They would trade their office jobs for my lower paying but more freedom less stress job/lifestyle.

Divorce/marriage could be a regret but I could spin it as I'm not longer in debt (sold the house) and I have way more freedom now so once again negative is a positive

You would all be replying tl/dr if I listed them all.

I guess in brief...career. I also regret most of the women I have been with as they were not as they seemed or not right for me.
I also regret some of the friends I've had over the years as they were people I should not have let in my life.

In short, I regret not listening to my instincts on a lot of things and not spending more time with those that were important to me.

But I guess we are to learn from it all and it shapes who we become.

Earning 250k a year for years in my 20s and wasting nearly all of it. I could have 30 fucking houses. I could be retired at 40. I did have some good times tho.

Last edited:
It's hard to say that I have serious regrets because reality is 70% of the world population would kill to have the life I have had, especially my childhood.

It's also tricky because most of my regrets can be spun as positive.

For example being more aggressive with education and career in my early twenties could be something I regret not doing but the trade-off would be I'd end up like half of my highschool classmates where they're working some soul-sucking job 50 hours a week and they're all miserable. They would trade their office jobs for my lower paying but more freedom less stress job/lifestyle.

Divorce/marriage could be a regret but I could spin it as I'm not longer in debt (sold the house) and I have way more freedom now so once again negative is a positive

I understand what you're saying, but to fair you are conditioned by your environment. So it's inevitable you or I will take it for granted. We never grew up poor or struggling for the necessities.

So we tend to complain about the smallest minor trivial things. But it's normal considering how we grew up.

Being talked out of buying apple stock by an investment advisor in 1997. Steve Jobs rejoined Apple and immediately bought NeXT. I was NeXT user and kind of knew that this was going to be a gamechanger. One of my friends, who is an investment advisor, talked me out of it.

Being talked out of buying apple stock by an investment advisor in 1997. Steve Jobs rejoined Apple and immediately bought NeXT. I was NeXT user and kind of knew that this was going to be a gamechanger. One of my friends, who is an investment advisor, talked me out of it.

Wow, that's crazy. Are you still cool with your friend?

Pissed away my teens with depression and BPD, when people tried to bully me in high school I turned to over the top violence and ended up fighting all the time and being even more lonely.
It's ok now but had to lose my virginity at fucking 19, didn't have any stable, good friendship until my 20s. Think if I managed to be more relaxed and confident I could've had a good time in high school and be less fucked in the head.

Allowing my (ex)wife to talk me into moving our family to europe in an effort to save our marriage.

We might have been twins separated at birth.

A mix of both.

I’m very selfish with my time and prefer to be alone quite often. Most women, not all, require more attention than I’m capable of giving. And I recognize that unless by some miracle I’m able to find a woman that has that same requirement, that it’s unfair for me to say to someone, “hey want to spend the rest of your life with someone that’s going to treat you like a roommate 50% of the time?”
I’m also not naive to the notion that this behavior definitely contributed to my ex-wife cheating on me.
So checking out of relationships altogether is a more emotionally secure venture.
And honestly it’s freeing.
Are there times I get lonely? Absolutely
However, the loneliest moments in my life were when I was surrounded by people that shared my name and DNA. So being a misanthropic loner with dogs is better for everyone involved, in my view.

i feel you sherbros

Probably just how everything turned out

Back