• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social What is the "liberal elite" and why is academic so liberal?

The social sciences tend to have more left leaning professors, that's true. However some academic fields do attract a fair share of conservative thinkers such as economics and philosophy. I'm doing a master's in management sciences and I'm surprised at how openly progressive my professors seem to be. Maybe @Fake Doctor could weigh in as I know he's a PhD candidate.

Yeah I'm calling you out Fake Doctor! Where you at homie?

Edit: forgot to mention that theology does tend to have many conservatives amongst its ranks for obvious reasons.

Just left my office. Will update this later. I'm actually quite interested in this topic and would have got to it without a prompt :)

Edit: Ok, this is an interesting question and there are a lot of different facets to it. I'm going to comment on the humanities side of things far more, for reasons that should be obvious.

First off, what is the academy? Well, it's a place of ideas. Specifically, of dealing with the ideal - idealism. This isn't just in the colloquial sense, but the academy got its start with the Socratics (Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle - specifically Plato, but Aristotle is very important for its development as well). Plato's philosophy, in general, was focused on the ideal - Platonic forms, which is literally the borderline divine idea sphere which informs brute materiality with its metaphysical content. Basically, individual things are what they are because they participate in ideal forms - so truth (see: what Plato thinks is real), for Plato, is based in the ideal.

Platonic thinking is the origin of the academy. As Alfred North Whitehead interprets - I think accurately - "The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato." (from Process and Reality). Basically, he's saying that Plato's idealism is the defining characteristic of European philosophy at large, whether the thinkers are engaging in it (what we might call metaphysics) or responding to it. You only start to see real systemic challenges to this idealism in the last few centuries, and figures like Baruch Spinoza who buck that trend are one offs, while figures like Descartes, Kant, Leibniz, etc, who operate in various spheres of the ideal - they operate in metaphysical framings.

Why does this matter? The tradition that the academy comes from is defined by this idealism. That systemic opposition I spoke about has a variety of forms, but let's say that Friedrich Nietzsche is a great avatar for this. He brings in some really interesting point about the relationship between the ideal and the real. It's a bit complicated, but let's give it a go. This is from Nietzsche's The Twilight of the Idols.

"How the ‘Real World’ at last Became a Myth
HISTORY OF AN ERROR

1. The real world, attainable to the wise, the pious, the virtuous man – he dwells in it, he is it.

(Oldest form of the idea, relatively sensible, simple, convincing. Transcription of the proposition ‘I, Plato, am the truth.’)*

2. The real world, unattainable for the moment, but promised to the wise, the pious, the virtuous man (‘to the sinner who repents’).

(Progress of the idea: it grows more refined, more enticing, more incomprehensible – it becomes a woman, it becomes Christian…)

3. The real world, unattainable, undemonstrable, cannot be promised, but even when merely thought of a consolation, a duty, an imperative.

(Fundamentally the same old sun, but shining through mist and scepticism; the idea grown sublime, pale, northerly, Königsbergian.)

4. The real world – unattainable? Unattained, at any rate. And if unattained also unknown. Consequently also no consolation, no redemption, no duty: how could we have a duty towards something unknown?

(The grey of dawn. First yawnings of reason. Cockcrow of positivism.)

5. The ‘real world’ – an idea no longer of any use, not even a duty any longer – an idea grown useless, superfluous, consequently a refuted idea: let us abolish it!

(Broad daylight; breakfast; return of cheerfulness and bons sens; Plato blushes for shame; all free spirits run riot.)

6. We have abolished the real world: what world is left? the apparent world perhaps?… But no! with the real world we have also abolished the apparent world!

(Mid-day; moment of the shortest shadow; end of the longest error; zenith of mankind; INCIPIT ZARATHUSTRA)*
"

The error that he's giving a history of here is, to simplify, Platonic metaphysics - or, Platonic idealism. It's the idealism that the academy was built around, and still (i'd argue) operates within. The distinction he's giving here is between the world which Plato said was real world (idealism, the forms, etc) and the apparent world (the brute world of materiality - what you see around you). He's saying that the real world (IE - Plato's idealism) being treated as real is an error, and the actual real thing (brute materiality) was always the actual real, but the dominant prejudice of the Western tradition is to treat the ideal as the real, when it is in fact the unreal.

Where does this leave us? With idealism/metaphysics, in a Nietzschean schema, being a dominant error which is a framing that dominates over the actual real (brute materiality). The academy has its roots, and much of its existent bias, rooted in the error side of the history of an error. Academics come into the university and theorize about stuff - they operate in ideal framings which they bring to the point of theory. The rest is beyond them - the academy is the place of ideas, of the ideal, and academics aren't generally the ones who bring their own ideal framings beyond the academy. (side note - there is a modern branch of thinking that stems from the Nietzschean reasoning, ironically as it is primarily feminist, which tries to break away from the ideal framings which are the hallmark of the academy - things like Haraway's god trick, Hayles' focus on materiality and the posthuman, Drucker's focus on feminist data analytics, etc. The irony is, the people who study this stuff don't realize they're basically deriving their framings from a rampant misogynist)

Given this general framing, the whole premise of "the real world has a left bias" or something is actually argued against by major intellectual framings in the academy itself. The real world (in the estimation of the academy) is the ideal framings they operate in - not the world of brute materiality. Nietzschean framing counts this as a gross and long standing error, and the real world/apparent world valuation is (in reality) inverted over that holdover from Platonism that dominates the academy. The academy is specifically a space where the limiting factor is supposed to be human reasoning - so, theory framings and whatnot - whereas the brute material world beyond it has limits of practice. The ideas, the theories, that arise within the ideal space of the university are brought into the world beyond the academy and tested not by reason, but by their ability to perform in a world of brute materiality and simple practicality. The long and short of it? In Nietzschean terms, the "real" world is much more rightly considered to be the world beyond the university, where the rubber hits the road, and we bobble heads are basically ideal-framing machines who come up with a bunch of theories in a rarified environment which distances itself from actual reality (the world beyond the Platonic academy) as much as possible.

Does reality have a left wing bias? Not according to the Niezschean school of thought. That whole framing is, itself, a bias based on the 2500'ish year error of Plato's ideal framing, falsely inverting reality and the apparent world. The people who operate in that framing, according to Nietzsche, don't have damned thing to do with the real world, and they live in a bubble of error propped up by centuries of habit, biases ingrained deeply into thought, and the core of the space they inhabit. In Nietzschean terms, the whole academic conception of the real is a bias, and an inversion of reality.

That's the type of bullshit answer an academic would (and did) give. But, I like to think of it this way... If you want something done day to day, I don't call an academic. They're - we're - useless bobble heads who blabber on and reason our way through this and that, and need people to do our paperwork, change our tires, make things actually run, etc. Watching a bunch of professors organize tables in a conference hall is like watching cats try and fuck a doorknob. When it comes to actually getting things done, navigating that world of practicality, the ideal framings of the university have offered remarkable utility in navigating the world - but the academics themselves have rarely been the ones to navigate the apparent (see: the Nietzschean actual real) world to make those ideal framings navigable.

The longwinded, academic blowhard answer? The academic (see: the general mode by which the academy operates) notion of reality is an inversion, and the people who bring the ideal framings of the academics out into the apparent (see: real) world don't tend to be academics. They might be educated, but academics are the useless tits who hang around university forever. Not without their utility, but they don't even live in the apparent (see: real) world by the estimation of some of the greatest critics of the academic tradition to ever lived.

Anyways, just wanted to thank you for saying I was a PhD candidate! I think the last time you guessed my education level you said I was an MA. I guess I blew right past my MA thesis and my Field of Study. At this rate, I should be a real Fake Doctor in a year or two ;)

(side note: The sections "Biology and the Drive to Knowledge: Perspectivism and "The Origins of Reason and Logic" - if I can recall their names off hand - from Nietzsche's The Will to Power [Kaufmann translation] are great reads in this area)

(other side note: I'm not proofreading any of this, so if there are errors or sentences that trail off, deal with it)

Last edited:
I don't mean to disagree with you for the sake of disagreeing, I just think you should back that claim up with a source.

I was always under the assumption that mathematics and physics scored highest in the IQ department.
IQ test success has primarily been boiled down to motivation to do well on the test, rather than an accurate all-encompassing measure of intelligence. doesn’t account for socioeconomic factors or mental illness impediments like ADHD.

IQ test success has primarily been boiled down to motivation to do well on the test, rather than an accurate all-encompassing measure of intelligence. doesn’t account for socioeconomic factors or mental illness impediments like ADHD.

This is extremely wrong. Lmao. I interviewed with McKinsey when I was in undergrad. Part of the application process was essentially an IQ test.

Many businesses like that use IQ tests to screen candidates. It is literally the most accurate predictor of success.

<Dany07>

i literally don’t even know what to say to this lol i guess it’s better to be completely ignorant and uneducated than the opposite. sure man.

There are a lot of people with high degrees that are less intelligent than people who never graduated high school.

Yeah, the start of this thread isn't biased whatsoever...but anyways by definition: "willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas:
"they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people""

Education tends to be about learning new ideas, being exposed to more things beyond what you may have been raised on, etc. If you have a narrow point of view, which is just fine, then academia may not be for you.

And cue the "WOKE" retorts.

Yeah, the start of this thread isn't biased whatsoever...but anyways by definition: "willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas:
"they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people""

Education tends to be about learning new ideas, being exposed to more things beyond what you may have been raised on, etc. If you have a narrow point of view, which is just fine, then academia may not be for you.

And cue the "WOKE" retorts.

The research that has gone into correlating social liberalism with education has nothing to do with present left wing ideology.

I took a questionnaire used by one of these studies to determine whether someone is a social liberal or a social conservative. Some of the questions were:

1) Should gay couples be allowed to get married?
2) Should marijuana be legalized?
3) Should women be allowed to work? (LOL)

I gave the 'socially liberal' answer for every single question even though I am in actuality socially right leaning.

The following questions were not part of the questionnaire as they have nothing to do with liberalism:

1) Do you support the concept of equity?
2) Do you support compelled pronouns?

This is extremely wrong. Lmao. I interviewed with McKinsey when I was in undergrad. Part of the application process was essentially an IQ test.
so not an IQ test, just essentially an IQ test.

anyways, this overarching study dives into clustering & networking into the brain to track brain processes but also cites in the introduction a lot of the main studies that have debunked intelligence quotient as an accurate measurement of cognitive ability:

https://www.cell.com/neuron/fulltex...m/retrieve/pii/S0896627312005843?showall=true

plenty of refutations that came out after “The Bell Curve” to dispute its validity & lack of accounting for socioeconomic factors.

so not an IQ test, just essentially an IQ test.

anyways, this overarching study dives into clustering & networking into the brain to track brain processes but also cites in the introduction a lot of the main studies that have debunked intelligence quotient as an accurate measurement of cognitive ability:

https://www.cell.com/neuron/fulltext/S0896-6273(12)00584-3?_returnURL=https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0896627312005843?showall=true

plenty of refutations that came out after “The Bell Curve” to dispute its validity & lack of accounting for socioeconomic factors.

Even LSAT results strongly correlate with IQ. Aptitude tests in general do.

You can find individual studies that say essentially anything. The overwhelming consensus on IQ is that it is one of the most legitimate concepts in psychology and, again, that it is a more accurate predictor of success than any other.

Having said that, I do think that motivation to do well on a test will influence results. And I do not think that an average black American will care as much about doing well on an IQ test as an average Asian American. But my prior comment had to do with University students. I don't think psychology students are going to try significantly less hard than math students.

Last edited:
There are conservatives in academia. It's the administrative side that is quite liberal but they are also quite cutthroat.

A majority of Republicans are creationists. And believe that climate change is either a hoax or not caused by humans. Trump is the frontrunner for their presidential nomination, and they actually nominated him twice already. Big portion profess to believe that tax cuts for the rich are so stimulating to the economy that they pay for themselves. They're totally obsessed with the idea that transgendered people are taking over the world. Etc. It's very hard for an educated person to fit in with the party these days.

BTW, it's kind of a myth that people move to the extreme left as they get more education. What actually happens is that uneducated people tend to have a mix of extreme left and extreme right views, and as people get more educated, they tend to become more consistent, which usually resolves to being consistently liberal.

This. Case closed.

4u2asbxtn0m_tvkapje3bq.gif

Even LSAT results strongly correlate with IQ. Aptitude tests in general do.

You can find individual studies that say essentially anything. The overwhelming consensus on IQ is that it is one of the most legitimate concepts in psychology and, again, that it is a more accurate predictor of success than any other.

Having said that, I do think that motivation to do well on a test will influence results. And I do not think that an average black American will care as much about doing well on an IQ test as an average Asian American. But my prior comment had to do with University students. I don't think psychology students are going to try significantly less hard than math students.
depends on what you mean. some majors require more motivation to succeed in, which isn’t necessarily a function of intelligence.

Academia? Lol they are artists too I guess like Hunter and his art pieces

A majority of Republicans are creationists. And believe that climate change is either a hoax or not caused by humans. Trump is the frontrunner for their presidential nomination, and they actually nominated him twice already. Big portion profess to believe that tax cuts for the rich are so stimulating to the economy that they pay for themselves. They're totally obsessed with the idea that transgendered people are taking over the world. Etc. It's very hard for an educated person to fit in with the party these days.

BTW, it's kind of a myth that people move to the extreme left as they get more education. What actually happens is that uneducated people tend to have a mix of extreme left and extreme right views, and as people get more educated, they tend to become more consistent, which usually resolves to being consistently liberal.
Consuming more academia doesn’t make someone switch to a liberal or become more liberal. It’s all the other subjects that push that way by design also the campuses themselves. America Colleges are the most woke institutions on earth

It's because academia is all theoretical. Most libs beliefs are also theoretical. They're all for the poor and downtrodden but they live in Lilly white neighborhoods.

They're all for open borders because they see themselves as compassionate but they also aren't living anywhere near the border.

Prob cuz those who pursue higher education are comically smarter than conservatives. Going tens of thousands of dollars in debt to get a communications degree to pursue a career bartending at applebees is the goat move. Now we just need bidgoat to bail everyone out.

Back