• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies What is the best vampire movie of all time?

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) is the only possible, sensible, reasonable, sane and correct answer.

Don't agree?

Monica Bellucci... Bride of Dracula, and Sadie Frost "Lucy"... Fuck you, I win.

Interview with a vampire
Dracula (1992)
Nosferatu

Looking forward to the Nosferatu Eggers film later this year.

How dare you?

GOAT Vampire movie.
jpzw.gif

That isn't the question I've asked myself. There are a lot of decent vampire movies. What I am wondering is why there aren't more great werewolf films? The best is probably An American Werewolf in London, and that's over 40 years old. How the Hell have we not produced a superior werewolf movie in 40+ years?!

I'm not talking a werewolf action flick, which is where they seem to have been going in recent memory. I'm talking old school horror werewolf. Like An American Werewolf in London. A "The Terminator" style werewolf movie.

The Howling and Dog Soldiers are probably the best two and those are both old as fuck.

The Howling and Dog Soldiers are probably the best two and those are both old as fuck.

The Howling was good when you consider the time it was made and the budget it had, but it doesn't hold up very well. Dog Soldiers, I am not so sure about. I think I started it and didn't finish it.

What I would really like to see is a very dark and truly terrifying werewolf movie. I think An American Werewolf in London was the closest we ever got to that.

Silver Bullet is a good movie from it's time, but also suffers from aging. I'd probably put it 2nd overall. The werewolf wasn't as terrifying as the one in AAWIL.

To do a good werewolf movie these days, I would place the setting somewhere in a remote village or town in Europe with legends of werewolves. There would be a string of gruesome murders much like Silver Bullet, but very graphic without showing but brief glimpses of the werewolf and never fully visible. To make it really bad, you'd have to quickly establish the victims as characters you care about. Show a small boy taking care of his little sister or something, maybe even saving her as they are attacked. Have that series of events occur in this way, so the victims aren't just cardboard cutouts that you don't care about.

One thing I love about AAWIL is the two friends walking on the road at night and then you hear that howl. That howl was done so perfectly, and it grew louder as it closed in. I also like the bar scene and everyone's faces when they hear the howl, understanding what it meant. Something like that to signal when the werewolf is closing in.

There would have to be an investigation into the murders with the initial belief that a wolf or some large rabid dog is killing people. I'd love to see an expedition into the woods only to have the crew attacked and killed - much like in Silver Bullet.

Hell, now that I am thinking about it, a mix of Silver Bullet and AAWIL is about perfect. The only thing I'd really add is that the attacks need to be brutal and agonizing to add to the fear. Graphic and well done scenes. Plus, they never show the full werewolf. Leaving it to imagination is always worse, with only glimpses. The plot could center around more than just a cursed lycanthope, but could include a reason why the werewolf is now targeting that town. Something more than a new place to prey, but something else. Perhaps revenge for some past wrong. I don't know, I am typing out of my ass with these ideas. But this is more along the lines of what I'd like to see. I do think the main hero would have to be someone who should have no real chance against the werewolf. Silver Bullet uses a crippled kid, and that's a good idea.

There's just something about remote small town settings where the people have to fend for themselves, surrounded by nature and darkness that really creates a nice setting for a film like this.

You guys already listed the best ones. Here are some ones for your consideration that might not be on the radar:

1. Lifeforce--Space Vampire naked the whole movie.
2. Fright Night both the 80s and the remake are fun.
3. Daybreakers--Sam Neil, Ethan Hawk, Willem DaFoe.
4. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night--Iranian movie very good.
5. Let The Right One In--Swedish version.

As for Vampire Movies, I noticed no one mentioned Midnight Mass. While it is a show and not a movie, if you're looking for vampires and quality writing, Midnight Mass is here you need to go.

The Howling was good when you consider the time it was made and the budget it had, but it doesn't hold up very well. Dog Soldiers, I am not so sure about. I think I started it and didn't finish it.

What I would really like to see is a very dark and truly terrifying werewolf movie. I think An American Werewolf in London was the closest we ever got to that.

Silver Bullet is a good movie from it's time, but also suffers from aging. I'd probably put it 2nd overall. The werewolf wasn't as terrifying as the one in AAWIL.

To do a good werewolf movie these days, I would place the setting somewhere in a remote village or town in Europe with legends of werewolves. There would be a string of gruesome murders much like Silver Bullet, but very graphic without showing but brief glimpses of the werewolf and never fully visible. To make it really bad, you'd have to quickly establish the victims as characters you care about. Show a small boy taking care of his little sister or something, maybe even saving her as they are attacked. Have that series of events occur in this way, so the victims aren't just cardboard cutouts that you don't care about.

One thing I love about AAWIL is the two friends walking on the road at night and then you hear that howl. That howl was done so perfectly, and it grew louder as it closed in. I also like the bar scene and everyone's faces when they hear the howl, understanding what it meant. Something like that to signal when the werewolf is closing in.

There would have to be an investigation into the murders with the initial belief that a wolf or some large rabid dog is killing people. I'd love to see an expedition into the woods only to have the crew attacked and killed - much like in Silver Bullet.

Hell, now that I am thinking about it, a mix of Silver Bullet and AAWIL is about perfect. The only thing I'd really add is that the attacks need to be brutal and agonizing to add to the fear. Graphic and well done scenes. Plus, they never show the full werewolf. Leaving it to imagination is always worse, with only glimpses. The plot could center around more than just a cursed lycanthope, but could include a reason why the werewolf is now targeting that town. Something more than a new place to prey, but something else. Perhaps revenge for some past wrong. I don't know, I am typing out of my ass with these ideas. But this is more along the lines of what I'd like to see. I do think the main hero would have to be someone who should have no real chance against the werewolf. Silver Bullet uses a crippled kid, and that's a good idea.

There's just something about remote small town settings where the people have to fend for themselves, surrounded by nature and darkness that really creates a nice setting for a film like this.
I can dig this. But without the cursed undead victims of the werewolf from American Werewolf.

Bram Stoker's Dracula
But is far from perfect

I want to believe in Eggers's upcoming Nosferatu

Back