What Is So Good About Reagan?

All I know is that the easiest way to be stereotyped in very absolutist terms is to present yourself as a conservative or even as entertaining a few conservative ideas.

Your own opinion on your political opponents was rather absolute, was it not?

Oh come on, conservatives definitely tend to be more black and white in their view. If anything you can say the opposite is the fault of some liberals, always trying to insert some shades of gray where there isn't any to be politically correct.

Oh come on, conservatives definitely tend to be more black and white in their view. If anything you can say the opposite is the fault of some liberals, always trying to insert some shades of gray where there isn't any to be politically correct.

You call yourself a psych major and believe this to be true?

Have you not read Jonathan Haidt?

You post like someone in elementary school.

He didn't "close down the wars", he's following the guidelines already established. Then he got us involved in additional middle eastern wars and gave himself the power to kill American citizens in other countries without due process.

And no he didn't give people healthcare. He gave the insurance companies a big handout while letting big business off the hook.

Well I brought it down to an "elementary" level so that you could understand it.

If you're an American and fight for the other side and a Hellfire missile finds its way to your dome, hey you rolled the dice, you take what you get.

Additional Middle Eastern wars? I don't remember any troops deploying in masse to Egypt or Syria... Sending advisors and trainers isn't "getting involved in a Middle Eastern war".

So he followed "RomneyCare" and now you're against it? :icon_lol:

Also, towards the topic, if you think Reagan was a good President, you simply don't know dick about public policy. Decades later, we have a pretty firm grasp of not just his legacy as a public figure (which we already had), but the legacy of his policy introduction. It's pretty objectively clear that he was not a good President.

Well I brought it down to an "elementary" level so that you could understand it.

Oh silly me, I just thought you were an idiot. I guess you're just another run-of-mill hypocrite, faux liberal then.

If you're an American and fight for the other side and a Hellfire missile finds its way to your dome, hey you rolled the dice, you take what you get.

Kill them in action, fine. But sending drones out to assassinate? No. Not Based on the words of a lying president.

Additional Middle Eastern wars? I don't remember any troops deploying in masse to Egypt or Syria... Sending advisors and trainers isn't "getting involved in a Middle Eastern war".

Did you forget Libya where he was moving weapons into Syria from? So we can reduce villages to rubble with drone strikes, but as long as boots aren't on the ground, I guess we can say we aren't involved. Nice logic, bud!

So now that Romneycare was implemented by a democrat, you're for it? Dur hur!

I never lived in Massachusetts, so I was never for it. Sick or injured people who can't afford healthcare need healthcare, not a shitty insurance policy. But hey, at least disingenuous democrat cheerleaders can claim "we gave people healthcare!".

Last edited:
Reagan was charismatic and a good leader, regardless of whether you agreed with his policies.

He had a hand in ending the cold war, which most people here probably aren't old enough to remember.

Also, the iran/contra thing has become more negative as time has passed, but at the time, people respected the administration for putting the lives of Americans first ahead of policy.

Plus you have to consider who came before him and who his competition was.

The Soviet Union was on the path to failure before Reagan ever took office, all Reagan did was poke at the dying bear and were DAMN LUCKY that bear didn't decide to attack.

Gorbachev deserves the credit for bringing a peaceful resolution to the tensions, Reagan did everything he could to cause WW3, he just didn't have a willing participant in Gorbachev.

As for him being charismatic and a good leader, that just made him more dangerous.

The metric described in that article is absolutely ridiculous and in no way an accurate portrayal of ideological understanding.

Blabbity, blabbity, blah.

"Absolutely" "No way"

Come up with a better social science design, Ace.

Also, towards the topic, if you think Reagan was a good President, you simply don't know dick about public policy. Decades later, we have a pretty firm grasp of not just his legacy as a public figure (which we already had), but the legacy of his policy introduction. It's pretty objectively clear that he was not a good President.

It's pretty objectively clear you have no clue what you're talking about. But you do like to use adverbs to enhance your verbs, don't you?

A decade after his presidency, Reagan began to be routinely ranked among the top ten presidents in U.S. history. In that time, he's never been ranked lower than 18th and he once made it as as high as 6th in one poll. So, objectively speaking, Reagan has a pretty good standing for being rated a good to great president.

We got involved in both Lybia and Syria.....

The Soviet Union was on the path to failure before Reagan ever took office, all Reagan did was poke at the dying bear and were DAMN LUCKY that bear didn't decide to attack.

The Soviet Union was winning in the 1970s, mate. I don't know what history books you've been reading, but the Soviets made enormous gains in the Third World during that decade and achieved strategic parity.

As even John Lewis Gaddis in his book The Cold War: A New History acknowledges:

Most experts would probably have agreed that [the global balance of power] had been tilting in Moscow

Gorbachev deserves the credit for bringing a peaceful resolution to the tensions, Reagan did everything he could to cause WW3, he just didn't have a willing participant in Gorbachev.

LOL, What?

You call yourself a psych major and believe this to be true?

Have you not read Jonathan Haidt?

Do you know how easy this major is? Right now I'm half listening to a lecture fot for a 10th grader.

It's pretty objectively clear you have no clue what you're talking about. But you do like to use adverbs to enhance your verbs, don't you?

A decade after his presidency, Reagan began to be routinely ranked among the top ten presidents in U.S. history. In that time, he's never been ranked lower than 18th and he once made it as as high as 6th in one poll. So, objectively speaking, Reagan has a pretty good standing for being rated a good to great president.

A decade after his presidency, the effects of his policies hadn't come to fruition. The boom hadn't given way to the bust yet. Honestly, the best protector of his legacy came in the form of George W. Bush, who became a lightning rod for blame that belonged to Reagan's one-dimensional policies of deregulation and such.

Blabbity, blabbity, blah.

"Absolutely" "No way"

Come up with a better social science design, Ace.

I'm not obsessed with partisan bickering, so I have no interest in the personality analyses of arbitrary ideology classifications. The "libtards are stupid, conservatives are stupid" shtick is generally reserved for people who don't understand public policy enough to think outside of that dichotomy. It just so happens that the persons who fall into that category of profound simpleness on this forum tend to align with one particular party.

Also, where the fuck did you come from. I've only seen you recently but you've quickly risen to the top of the board's list of dip shits. If you're going to refuse to think critically and instead just be a partisan antagonist, at least do it like Lucas who tries to be a little entertaining.

A decade after his presidency, the effects of his policies hadn't come to fruition.

Sure, they had. By the year 2000, Reagan's legacy of military victory in the Cold War, and economic prosperity through tax cuts and reduced government spending/regulation, saw its fulfillment in the hands of a Democratic president who endorsed much of that conservative agenda by abandoning most of the loopier aspects of liberalism. Reagan's victory can be measured by Bill Clinton's 1996 State of the Union address in which he declared, "the era of big government is over."

Clinton didn't just say that line. He governed like it, too. Marginal tax rates were barely touched. Al Gore was put in charge of the reinvention of government, which was a way to cut down on regulation and make government more friendly to its citizens. And U.S. government spending as a percent of GDP touched its lowest point since the 1970s.

The boom hadn't given way to the bust yet.

His successor, George H. W. Bush, saw that bust, and it wasn't much. From 1982 to 2000, the U.S. had one minor recession that lasted only eight months (1990-91). That was unprecedented. By comparison, the previous decade before Reagan assumed office saw three recessions, two of them quite deep and painful.

Honestly, the best protector of his legacy came in the form of George W. Bush, who became a lightning rod for blame that belonged to Reagan's one-dimensional policies of deregulation and such.

George W. Bush was his own man, following his own set of big government policies. Spending, for example, increased heavily on discretionary domestic spending under Bush - not so under Reagan.

I'm not obsessed with partisan bickering, so I have no interest in the personality analyses of arbitrary ideology classifications. The "libtards are stupid, conservatives are stupid" shtick is generally reserved for people who don't understand public policy enough to think outside of that dichotomy. It just so happens that the persons who fall into that category of profound simpleness on this forum tend to align with one particular party.

Lol ! I would reassess my priors if I were you. I understand public policy very well - well enough to know that specialized knowledge frequently doesn't make a difference to the outcome of a particular policy.

No one doubts, for example, that Kissinger understood foreign policy and national security far better than did Ronald Reagan. Yet Reagan was right and Kissinger was wrong about the Soviet Union. Kissinger counseled that Americans would just have to live with the Soviets. Reagan said we can spend them into oblivion because they can't keep up with us. We win; they lose.

That may sound crude, and it certainly shouldn't be a guide to every policy matter, but in this case Reagan's policy was the right one and Kissinger's was the wrong one. We won; they lost.

Also, where the fuck did you come from. I've only seen you recently but you've quickly risen to the top of the board's list of dip shits. If you're going to refuse to think critically and instead just be a partisan antagonist, at least do it like Lucas who tries to be a little entertaining.

I'm your worst nightmare. I'm the guy who actually knows what he's talking about in that way you try to pretend to know what you're talking about.

What's so good about Reagan?

Well, for starters, he's dead.

Back