What Is So Good About Reagan?

It is still a private entity which is independent of government.

Since 1978 the Government Accountability Office (GAO) has conducted regular audits of the banks' operations. The GAO audits are reported to the public, but they may not review a bank's monetary policy decisions or disclose them to the public

It's far from independent of the Government. The Federal Reserve is empowered by and answerable to Congress, while it's board of Governor's are appointed by the President and must be confirmed by the Senate. Last time I checked, that's all three branches of our Government.

What success has Obama had? If I were Bill Clinton and people constantly compared Obama to me I'd be furious. Clinton is the hands down the best President of the last 70 years. Obama is hands down one of the worst of all time, if not the worst.

Oh, just little things like finally getting healthcare reform done, and a great improvement, game-changing improvements in solar (part of the ARRA), a better economic recovery than 95% of the developed world, killing the long-run debt problem (related to the ACA), hugely important environmental regs, reforming the student loan process, etc. Clinton was very good, too (and not a coincidence as a lot of the same people were on both teams, though they had more experience by the time they were on Obama's team), but on the same level.

Oh, just little things like finally getting healthcare reform done.

Because Obamacare has been such a huge success, hasn't it?

a better economic recovery than 95% of the developed world

An economic recovery that has been being predicted since before he took office. Clinton, for all his extra marital nonsense, was successfull because he was came off as one of the boys, despite whatever his politics might be, and for the most part was unafraid to make an unpopular decision if he thought it was good for the country. Obama on the other hand is a completely arrogant Liberal Elitist who cares nothing for anyone's opinion outside of Hollywood/Academia.

Because Obamacare has been such a huge success, hasn't it?

Yes, actually. We now have millions and millions of Americans who have access to healthcare that they didn't before, and the long-term healthcare cost projections have improved drastically (I realize that the right-wing line on this is that it's just a coincidence, but being honest, I think you have to give the ACA at least some credit--and I think probably a lot is appropriate).

An economic recovery that has been being predicted since before he took office.

Some level of recovery. But look at us compared to countries that didn't have a significant stimulus package. I just don't see why people have such a hard time giving credit where it's due. I think you can argue that any president would have done it (or something like it--though not every president would have directed the money as well), and say that his success has been largely a product of circumstances. I wouldn't have a big problem with that argument. But you can't deny that there have been a lot of big successes.

Clinton, for all his extra marital nonsense, was successfull because he was came off as one of the boys, despite whatever his politics might be, and for the most part was unafraid to make an unpopular decision if he thought it was good for the country. Obama on the other hand is a completely arrogant Liberal Elitist who cares nothing for anyone's opinion outside of Hollywood/Academia.

Well, see, I think that this is all irrelevant to policy. Further, Clinton was hated by the right, too. Remember the GOP frivolously impeached him, accused him of rape (Broderick), murder (Foster), drug running, etc. Jay Severin said he should be executed for treason. Now that he's out of office and they don't need to raise funds by scaring constituents about him, they can acknowledge the fact that he was a likeable, moderate, highly competent president. The same thing will happen after Obama's gone (I guarantee you'll be hearing Republicans compare him favorably to the next Democratic president--that's just how the game is played).

Yes, actually. We now have millions and millions of Americans who have access to healthcare that they didn't before, and the long-term healthcare cost projections have improved drastically (I realize that the right-wing line on this is that it's just a coincidence, but being honest, I think you have to give the ACA at least some credit--and I think probably a lot is appropriate)

I don't see how people can look at the VA situation and think that Obamacare is going to somehow be a great success. The VA system is a microcosom of larger government healthcare, such as Obamacare, and it is and has been a disaster.

Some level of recovery. But look at us compared to countries that didn't have a significant stimulus package. I just don't see why people have such a hard time giving credit where it's due. I think you can argue that any president would have done it (or something like it--though not every president would have directed the money as well), and say that his success has been largely a product of circumstances. I wouldn't have a big problem with that argument. But you can't deny that there have been a lot of big successes.

Massive recoveries where predicted. Let's also not forget that one of Obama's first moves in office was to cut Middle class tax cuts. A middle class that when he took over was doing so good that it didn't need those tax cuts anymore is the same middle class whose rebuilding was Obama's main platform for re-election.

Well, see, I think that this is all irrelevant to policy

It wasn't irrelevant to policy. Policy is what I'm talking about. Clinton was unafraid to cross the aisle and make honest efforts to make compromises. Compromises that got stuff done, and weren't always popular among other Dems. Obama seems to base policy off of him just being smarter and better than everyone else.

Further, Clinton was hated by the right, too. Remember the GOP frivolously impeached him, accused him of rape (Broderick), murder (Foster), drug running, etc. Jay Severin said he should be executed for treason. Now that he's out of office and they don't need to raise funds by scaring constituents about him, they can acknowledge the fact that he was a likeable, moderate, highly competent president. The same thing will happen after Obama's gone (I guarantee you'll be hearing Republicans compare him favorably to the next Democratic president--that's just how the game is played).[/QUOTE]

I don't see how people can look at the VA situation and think that Obamacare is going to somehow be a great success. The VA system is a microcosom of larger government healthcare, such as Obamacare, and it is and has been a disaster.

They are totally different. The VA system has had problems, but it's not a disaster. 93% of people who have used it have a favorable opinion, and it's record in terms of health and cost effectiveness is very good. But it has nothing to do with the ACA. The VA system is gov't-provided healthcare. Medicare and Medicaid are gov't provided health insurance. The ACA expands Medicaid, but other than that, it can't even be called gov't insurance. Read up on it.

Massive recoveries where predicted.

By whom? When?

Let's also not forget that one of Obama's first moves in office was to cut Middle class tax cuts. A middle class that when he took over was doing so good that it didn't need those tax cuts anymore is the same middle class whose rebuilding was Obama's main platform for re-election.

What are you talking about?

It wasn't irrelevant to policy. Policy is what I'm talking about. Clinton was unafraid to cross the aisle and make honest efforts to make compromises. Compromises that got stuff done, and weren't always popular among other Dems. Obama seems to base policy off of him just being smarter and better than everyone else.

LOL! Republicans shut the gov't down under Clinton, too. And Obama has bent over backward to compromise with Republicans. They announced shortly after he was elected that they would not compromise on anything.

Americans hold any president in high regard, so long as they have money to spend. You can pull all kinds of shit but if the economy was good, you're worshipped, just like Willy Clinton and Reagan.

Old people love Reagan, hell, most f those people are probably dead now but I do know old farts loved Reagan.

Reagan was prez during the 80s and the 80s was an awesome decade.

Just watch The Goldbergs and you'll realize how awesome of a decade it was.

Neon colors.
TMNT
Karate Kid
Rambo
rollerskate rinks
Garbage Pail Kids
Super Mario
Alf
ET
He-man
Married With Children
Full House

I could go on and on!

What's your point? One day you will be an Obama loving old fart.

The point is Regan had a huge base of old people. Out of touch with younger America, just like Romney.

and who says I love Obama? You? So that must mean I do love him..

and either way it doesn't change the fact that Ronny was dog doodie as a president. He put all these wheels in motion. Also Reagan was a complete sell out and threw many people under the bus under the moniker of communism.

The point is Regan had a huge base of old people. Out of touch with younger America, just like Romney.

Baloney.

Reagan did very well among young voters. For example, he won the 18-24 year-old demographic in 1984 by a wider margin (61-39) than he did the overall population (58-41), which was the same margin he won the 50-64 year-old demographic.

There's a myth Republicans haven't done well among younger voters.

But in fact Gerald Ford, Reagan, George H.W. Bush., and George W. Bush all did well among younger voters in some of their elections.

George H.W. Bush, for example, won the 18-29 year-old voting demographic 53-47 in 1988 - which was almost the same margin by which he won the overall vote (53-46) and was larger than the margin by which he won the 60 & over demographic (51-49).

George W. Bush ran even with Al Gore in the 18-24 year-old group and nearly even in the 25-29 year-old group.

A generation gap in voting patterns favoring Democrats only opens up occasionally and has recently become confounded by racial voting patterns as more and more young voters are minorities.

Clinton in 1996, Kerry in 2004, and especially Obama in both of his elections successfully opened up a generation gap among younger voters, but it doesn't appear to be an enduring pattern. And if you control for race, Obama may not have a gap among young voters at all. In other words, Obama's gap is more of a racial gap than a generation gap.

Reagan was charismatic and a good leader, regardless of whether you agreed with his policies.

He had a hand in ending the cold war, which most people here probably aren't old enough to remember.

Also, the iran/contra thing has become more negative as time has passed, but at the time, people respected the administration for putting the lives of Americans first ahead of policy.

Plus you have to consider who came before him and who his competition was.

We've currently had the two worst presidents in US history with Bush Jr. and Obama, but yeah, let's discuss Reagan.

"Yeah, let's make jokes about a war that I started and over weapons that they didn't have.... The American military and Iraqi civilians that got killed or worse? Yeah, they're a punchline now."

President Obama closes down the wars, gives healthcare to Americans, frees an American hostage, and gets calls for impeachment...

Ok, yeah... That makes them equal.

"Yeah, let's make jokes about a war that I started and over weapons that they didn't have.... The American military and Iraqi civilians that got killed or worse? Yeah, they're a punchline now."

President Obama closes down the wars, gives healthcare to Americans, frees an American hostage, and gets calls for impeachment...

Ok, yeah... That makes them equal.

You post like someone in elementary school.

He didn't "close down the wars", he's following the guidelines already established. Then he got us involved in additional middle eastern wars and gave himself the power to kill American citizens in other countries without due process.

And no he didn't give people healthcare. He gave the insurance companies a big handout while letting big business off the hook.

Lol at obama "closing down wars."

He was the only president to run the country while having Alzheimer's disease.

Back