What is Pettis missing to be a complete fighter?

Head movement, sprawl.

To say he is not complete already is a bit of a knock, though. Clearly he's complete enough to dominate the deepest, toughest division in the UFC by winning his last four fights by stoppage, three of which were against top five guys. That's some next level P4P shit.

Activity, the guy is a good fighter but he fights so rare it just pisses people off

If he wasn't champion it wouldn't be so frustrating but it clogs the division

While his TDD can use some work, he is so powerful off his back it doesn;t matter as much as it could. The one part of his game that he needs to round out to be a more complete fighter, imo, is his takedown.

Does he have takedowns at all?

Dude has one loss in the UFC and I would have gave him that fight considering how active he was off his back.

Hey, good to meet someone else who sees it that way.

beer-art-painting-leanne-laine-clink-if-you-like-beer.jpg

A fresh set of tonsils to replace the ones removed ad a child. Other than that, he's good to go.

While his TDD can use some work, he is so powerful off his back it doesn;t matter as much as it could. The one part of his game that he needs to round out to be a more complete fighter, imo, is his takedown.

Does he have takedowns at all?

He won the Stephens fight with 6 td's. He had 2 vs. Bendo and Roller. He's a career 76% shooter. That's Wilt Chamberlain territory.

But you explained one reason why he doesn't need td's much if at all anyway.

His game off his back. He's more of a threat to finish you than you are of him. He can also get up pretty much when he wants to with the sub threat, and sweep techniques. He just was too eager to finish Guida off his back when it ended there. If the emotions of his octagon debut weren't swirling, he'd have gotten up after sub misses. That's his M.O., as is fight I.Q.

Another reason obviously is his stand-up. Nobody has beaten him on the feet yet, so why not keep it there? The only real reason now that his tdd is pretty good and he'll have five rounds to finish is to counter opponents over-aggressive in the striking. That's when he took down Bendo and Roller.

There is no reason to even think about looking for td's offensively until his top game is better. What we've seen so far is extremely vanilla. Weak gnp and subs. And when you shoot you're gambling you don't get hit with a flying knee, uppercut, or locked guillotine. With his high-level striking defense, chances are better he avoids the kill shot if he stays at kicking distance, circles, counters, then clinches onrushing opponents.

How the fuck is he not a complete fighter?

his boxing. he's got great kicks, but i think guys like Frankie Edgar if he moved back up to 155lb could expose his boxing.

Um.... very bad phrasing in the thread title.

The idea that Pettis ISN'T a complete fighter is laughable.

Offensive wrestling/takedowns. Jones/Weidman/Cain trio are elite and complete because they have it all.

dont agree at all. those fighters you mentioned dont have the advantage on the feet that pettis does. Those are 3 fighters who striking is based off the threat of a takedown. there is absolutly no need for offensive wrestling in regards to pettis.

honestly he gets hit alot. i remember gil landed some clean shots. so overall keeping his chin tucked and circling out bc he was also against the cage alot.

Gil landed a few good shots but they didnt land as clean as melendez wanted them to. And if you look back on pettis other previous fights he barely got touched at all by his oppenents. His striking defense is Awesome.

I think the difference is those 2 guys used a lot of low kicks, Pettis doesn't really use those.

I dont think hell have a problem throwing low kicks or any other type of kicks to be honest with you. In fact im pretty sure it will be even more effective come from pettis.

Back