What is Pettis missing to be a complete fighter?

I dont think hell have a problem throwing low kicks or any other type of kicks to be honest with you. In fact im pretty sure it will be even more effective come from pettis.

Maybe so, but the fact that Edgar can use those to chain wrestle, is dangerous for Pettis.

Henderson kicked him a lot but he wasn't afraid to get taken down and was ready to stop him Edgar. Aldo kicked him, but he almost exclusively used low kicks and fought pretty conservatively.

I'm just saying, Pettis can low kick, but he doesn't have as good TDD as Henderson and Aldo, and who knows how effective will the low kicks be seeing as he really doesn't throw them?

Maybe so, but the fact that Edgar can use those to chain wrestle, is dangerous for Pettis.

Henderson kicked him a lot but he wasn't afraid to get taken down and was ready to stop him Edgar. Aldo kicked him, but he almost exclusively used low kicks and fought pretty conservatively.

I'm just saying, Pettis can low kick, but he doesn't have as good TDD as Henderson and Aldo, and who knows how effective will the low kicks be seeing as he really doesn't throw them?

Ok thats fair.i dont know how i would compare frankies wrastlin to Bendos. Pettis 1st fight against Bendo i actually dont remember much about that fight except the showtime kick. I might not have even seen the whole fight. It was a while ago. I think it would be an awesome fight thats probably never gonna happen
Edit:kind of rambled on. Ithink pettis can deal with frankies wrastlin

Ok thats fair.i dont know how i would compare frankies wrastlin to Bendos. Pettis 1st fight against Bendo i actually dont remember much about that fight except the showtime kick. I might not have even seen the whole fight. It was a while ago. I think it would be an awesome fight thats probably never gonna happen
Edit:kind of rambled on. Ithink pettis can deal with frankies wrastlin

oh, i definitely think Pettis can deal with his wrestling too, it's just how long can he hold him off and how is he going to deal with everything else Edgar brings?

Cub held Edgar's wrestling off for the 1st rd too, but after that he slowly started breaking him down.

oh, i definitely think Pettis can deal with his wrestling too, it's just how long can he hold him off and how is he going to deal with everything else Edgar brings?

Cub held Edgar's wrestling off for the 1st rd too, but after that he slowly started breaking him down.

Well i guess that was my point in bringing up bendo. That fight went 5 rounds and benson is a bigger physical fighter as well. I guess the question is if Frankie got him down could he keep him down. I dont think he can keep Pettis down but hey , who fuckin knows.

honestly he gets hit alot. i remember gil landed some clean shots. so overall keeping his chin tucked and circling out bc he was also against the cage alot.

He handled everything Melendez threw at him and was never rocked or dropped. His chin is good so he can be a little reckless looking to land his own strikes, which happened against Melendez before the fight-ending choke.

He won the Stephens fight with 6 td's. He had 2 vs. Bendo and Roller. He's a career 76% shooter. That's Wilt Chamberlain territory.

But you explained one reason why he doesn't need td's much if at all anyway.

His game off his back. He's more of a threat to finish you than you are of him. He can also get up pretty much when he wants to with the sub threat, and sweep techniques. He just was too eager to finish Guida off his back when it ended there. If the emotions of his octagon debut weren't swirling, he'd have gotten up after sub misses. That's his M.O., as is fight I.Q.

Another reason obviously is his stand-up. Nobody has beaten him on the feet yet, so why not keep it there? The only real reason now that his tdd is pretty good and he'll have five rounds to finish is to counter opponents over-aggressive in the striking. That's when he took down Bendo and Roller.

There is no reason to even think about looking for td's offensively until his top game is better. What we've seen so far is extremely vanilla. Weak gnp and subs. And when you shoot you're gambling you don't get hit with a flying knee, uppercut, or locked guillotine. With his high-level striking defense, chances are better he avoids the kill shot if he stays at kicking distance, circles, counters, then clinches onrushing opponents.

I gotta watch that Stephens fight again. It's been awhile.

I just never think of Anthony as a shooter. I'm actually surprised his percentage is that high.

I think the difference is those 2 guys used a lot of low kicks, Pettis doesn't really use those.

What does that have to do with Pettis' boxing?

Pettis hurt Gil 4 times with punch combos, overall decisively beat him in the department, and when is the last time that's happened to Gil? Pettis was ripping Bendo with counter punches in the 2nd fight too while avoiding all his.

Pettis' boxing won't get "exposed". It's always been underrated since tooling Bendo on the feet in the first fight and is ever-improving because he continues to train with pro boxers regularly at Roufusport. Pettis is a better boxer than Frankie. At this point he probably has developed better power, and he does a better job of moving out the way and then hitting you. Edgar moves out and then back into danger when he throws. They both have good combos.

Anyways, Pettis could use leg kicks if he wants. He fucked up a short stuff like Karalexis with them. I think he feels they make you susceptible to the counter against guys with decent length and power, so they don't work well enough for him from a risk/reward standpoint most times. But they might against little Frankie.

Pettis hurt Gil 4 times with punch combos, overall decisively beat him in the department, and when is the last time that's happened to Gil? Pettis was ripping Bendo with counter punches in the 2nd fight too while avoiding all his.

Pettis' boxing won't get "exposed". It's always been underrated since tooling Bendo on the feet in the first fight and is ever-improving because he continues to train with pro boxers regularly at Roufusport. Pettis is a better boxer than Frankie. At this point he probably has developed better power, and he does a better job of moving out the way and then hitting you. Edgar moves out and then back into danger when he throws. They both have good combos.

Anyways, Pettis could use leg kicks if he wants. He fucked up a short stuff like Karalexis with them. I think he feels they make you susceptible to the counter against guys with decent length and power, so they don't work well enough for him from a risk/reward standpoint most times. But they might against little Frankie.

it has to do with taking away Frankie's mobility so he can no longer get out of the way of the punches. Pettis might be a better pure boxer, but i find it hard that he's that much better than Frankie.

how did he "tool" Benson? it was a close fight. Eddie Alvarez trains with pro boxers too, and look how great his boxing is, sure he's powerful but he's not exactly outboxing people.

using low kicks on Alex Karalexis and using them on Frankie Edgar are very different.

I think his kicks are great, and that's what works for him, I'm just saying, if someone forces him to box and eliminates his kicks, it's going to be a different game in my opinion.

it got exposed tonight.

Obviously he needs to improve his wrestling, especially in the area of takedown defense. He also needs to figure out how to make his striking work better with that.

Also, and I know this will sound odd to some, he needs to improve his boxing. I think he relies too much on his kicks, which is unsurprising given his TKD background. They are a great weapon, but he needs better hands. Better TD D plus better hands and I think he could have handled RDA much better.

Apparently, he could use some Jesus, or at least some Training Regimen Tweaks.

Anthony is already close to complete as you can be, RDA was just ready.

Honestly the "book" is out on Pettis. His striking is technical and awesome and fancy but if you make it a fight..he crumbles. Only Rafa and clay by making it a grind fest got there.

Pettis is a handsome guy and I'm sure he's gonna a bag a hottie tonight and god for him. As his opponent all I work on in camp is "let's make it a gritty fight"

he has holes in his game like everyone else, no ones perfect. tonight was not his night. props to RDA he has come a long way and fought a long hard road to the title and he put on one hell of a performance tonight. really put his stamp on the division and showed the fire and grit of a true champion

Obviously he needs to improve his wrestling, especially in the area of takedown defense. He also needs to figure out how to make his striking work better with that.

Also, and I know this will sound odd to some, he needs to improve his boxing. I think he relies too much on his kicks, which is unsurprising given his TKD background. They are a great weapon, but he needs better hands. Better TD D plus better hands and I think he could have handled RDA much better.

He gets backed up to much and swings to wide...

I would circle, jab and try slip and pivot to the other side...but it must be hard against a lethal striker like rda

Machida did well against weidmans pressure..gonna watch that again

He needs to train cage awareness with Machida. Dude needs to figure a way to stay in the center of the octagon

Honestly I've never thought his boxing/hand strikes were that great, as well as striking defense. He did get caught a lot against Melendez before he finished the fight, and ate a lot of shots tonight as well. He did have poor vision in one eye though.

Either way, I'm looking forward to Anthony coming back strong. RDA is legit, but so is Pettis and I expect him to fight for the belt again even as early as later this year.

Back