What is Pettis missing to be a complete fighter?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TimeToTrain, Jan 16, 2015.

1. TimeToTrain

TimeToTrain Brown Belt

All I can think of is him working a little more on his takedown defense and his cardio. To me, his TDD is legit right now, and looks like he could defend well against someone like Khabib.

His hands could probably use a little more work but then again, he's technical and has good timing for counter attacks. When Melendez was pushing the pace with his boxing, Pettis had that good timing shot which lead to Gil wanting to go for the takedown.

If I were to compare his BJJ with Cowboy's, honestly, I'm gonna have to say Cowboy's is better despite the sub victories that Pettis has. Or you can say they're about even, where Pettis is more offensive off his back and Cowboy has a very nice guard that is hard to pass. I'm curious how a rematch between the two would go. Of course I say Pettis wins, but Cowboy's been looking sharp and fearless as of late.

Pettis..one of the toughest, if not, the toughest division in the UFC right now. If he can clean up that division, he's gonna be the GOAT.

- Dos Anjos
    - Khabib
    - Cerrone rematch
    - Myles Jury?
    - Eddie Alvarez
    - Edson Barboza
    - Josh Thomson
    - T.J. Grant
    - Nate Diaz

2. Viking Power

Viking Power Black Belt

durability

3. ScarfaceJr

ScarfaceJr All praise honor & glory to the most High

flashy effective kicks

4. Phrozenspite

Phrozenspite Black Belt

I don't think his TDD will ever improve enough to rely on it. with his unusual techniques and power I think that he should be focusing on his footwork, it would make guys walk into things and make shots easier to stuff/avoid.

5. Double Leg

Double Leg Brown Belt

An NCAA Division 1 Championship and a Blackbelt in BJJ, because that's what you need to be a champ. Oh wait...

6. Davemeddlehed

Davemeddlehed There's no mercy in this dojo!

Durability for sure. Only seeing him about once or twice a year now is becoming something of a detriment to his overall legacy.

7. Gerald Ford

Gerald Ford Purple Belt

More power in his striking

8. Inverse

Inverse Ginger Belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

9. paynebringer

paynebringer Titanium Ape Planet Belt... Always Defend ♠♠♠

When he doesn't have a Championship Belt anymore I'll come back and tell you....

10. DetachedOrchid

DetachedOrchid MAYANS M.C.

honestly he gets hit alot. i remember gil landed some clean shots. so overall keeping his chin tucked and circling out bc he was also against the cage alot.

11. INoHespectChael

INoHespectChael Black Belt

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  12. xMaxPower

xMaxPower Red Belt

his cardio is fine, probably top 3 in LW in terms of cardio. he seemed more fresh then bendo in the 5th round in their first fight. pettis was owning bendo in that 5th round and bendo's cardio is amazing.

13. ralek4grammy

ralek4grammy Brown Belt

Putting on troll mask...

***Conor McGregor's charisma...***

Taking off troll mask...

14. SKWERT

SKWERT White Belt

Fighting twice in a year would be cool

15. RhoneKill

RhoneKill Blue Belt

I would say mid range striking defense. If there was a LW version of Rampage, in terms of boxing, not overall game. Pettis would have to be concern somewhat.

16. NotImpressbyp

NotImpressbyp Orange Belt

I'd say he's pretty complete as a fighter. He's been tested by wrestlers and strikers, most of which had a size advantage on him (except for Guida), but even against Guida he was being the aggressor. I haven't seen the beloved GOAT get tested by any wrestlers though

17. JonSnitchPhones

JonSnitchPhones Beastin' 26/9

The cardio knock is b.s. It's like there are cardio police looking for every time you open your mouth to breathe and that means you're gassing. Hector isn't gassing nearly to the degree as his detractors suggest, and Pettis wasn't whatsoever against Melendez. He was taking deep breaths between rounds to calm himself down because he was a little nervous in there, it was getting him caught against the cage, and he needed to loosen up and make adjustments.

I suppose you could say then he can be a slow starter. He started fast against Cerrone because he pissed him off. In both fights against Bendo, and the one against Melendez, he got off to a slow start. He got off to a slow start against Guida,. He's a cerebral fighter. He can over-think things when the moment is big. That's a double-edged sword because it shows perspective and potential to be one of the all-time greats, but he has to dial it down a bit. Easier to dial down than up.

Other than that I'd say it would behoove him for his top game to become more potent. Never seen much from him as far as gnp or subs from top go. All his subs have been from the bottom.

His clinch strike game could get better too. I think he under-uses elbows with his lanky frame. Could get them going in tight and on top.

I don't think his wrestling is much of an issue to speak of at this point. A virtually one-dimensional wrestler like Khabib is probably too predictable for him at this point to not hurt him badly enough and finish over 25 minutes.

Even though he lost to Khabib, I think a guy like RDA's wrestling is more troublesome to him because it holds the element of surprise, and he can potentially hang on his feet, to win a close decision. But he'd have to stay tremendously unpredictable and not make almost any mistakes over 25 minutes. That means continuing to switch up his approach. If Pettis picks up a pattern he's finishing him. Kid Nate of MMA Nation put it like, "to beat Pettis, it's pretty much like throwing a shutout against a tough lineup".

People love to overreact to the first few minutes of a Pettis fight and want to extrapolate them to 25. I think it's virtually meaningless if RDA takes Pettis down early. It doesn't somehow forecast future wrestling struggles. The right gameplan for Pettis is to take the center of the cage early because RDA wants to and poses danger with his strikes. If RDA uses Pettis' aggression to counter td, Pettis can see what's there from the bottom, if he doesn't get a sub force a stand-up with his slick sweep and get up techniques, and has 20-some more minutes to make RDA pay if he gets predictable at all. Whereas with Khabib he'd just know what he was doing from the outset.

18. C0NCH3TO

C0NCH3TO Gold Belt

Take down defense and training smarter to avoid constant injuries.

19. chaos_36

chaos_36 DOOM all capitals no trick spelling.

He needs some offensive wrestling, his TDD and striking defense also need work. That's about it.

20. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

Use his reach and set ups more, and try not to get clinched.