What is one of the best life lessons you've learned?

I don't know. First thing I thought was never pay anyone for a job that hasn't been fully completed. Learned that one the hard way.

There are no ugly women, just too little vodka

I have to disagree with you there. If I would drink enough vodka to make some women look good I would lose consciousness.

I have a couple of them. The first was advice from a teacher back in the 1960s. You will learn a lot more with your eyes and ears than you ever will with your mouth.

The second is my own observation. Faith and trust are the lifeblood of charlatans and the hallmark of fools.

Most people are scared to shine , to succeed because they fear failure much more.

In career advancement, the best advice I've ever received was to barge into shit and that it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. The person who climbs very high on the ladder of success isn't always the smartest but the one who can push shit through and sometimes they have a very special brand of stupid embedded into their brains that allows them not to care. If you're constantly asking for permission to do things or asking to learn every single detail of a process, you're never going to make it to the top. Stop worrying about doing every little thing perfectly and asking how and instead just do your tasks and learn through your mistakes.

I was the person who worried about every single detail and stagnated. The moment I took that advice, I was promoted within 6 months with another on the horizon.

This is excellent advice, and very true from my work experience concerning "learning every little detail". If you are curious about certain processes that have long become dogmatic to others through repetition, work is not always the place to analyze procedural minutia to find some hidden optimization. In fact, people may think less of your intelligence for it, because they value self-sufficiency and such inquiries are burdensome to other busy employees. For every innovator, there are one hundred anal weirdos that people hate working with. Finding the balance is a big part of doing meaningful work.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

This is excellent advice, and very true from my work experience concerning "learning every little detail". If you are curious about certain processes that have long become dogmatic to others through repetition, work is not always the place to analyze procedural minutia to find some hidden optimization. In fact, people may think less of your intelligence for it, because they value self-sufficiency and such inquiries are burdensome to other busy employees. For every innovator, there are one hundred anal weirdos that people hate working with. Finding the balance is a big part of doing meaningful work.

I was a highschool dropout that went pretty much from mid-level technical labour to lead software developer over 2 years with a rough implementation of this idea.

Just go and do things, focus on the lessons and not the embarrassment of fucking up. You'll look back in a few months and notice how much momentum you've gained.

Easy to say but hard to think about in practise.

An example might be - don't grovel away as a trench digger hoping to get noticed for your trench digging skills and hope that someone will promote you to foreman.

Instead - start shadowing the current foreman. Small talk, make friends, watch what he does, learn his problems and do things to help, buy a coffee and bagel each morning etc.

- It is what it is
- Women don't want to be loved, they want to be wanted

Spoken like a true scholar!
I agree! Satan is ruling this world.
<36>

The point is to understand why such a philosophical position might be taken. The Buddhists arrived at a similar conclusion, albeit from a different angle. Their fist noble truth is that "life is suffering".

You're not thinking at all.

Back