What is Ngnnou's legacy in MMA for you?

Over the years, just looking back on talking to other sherbros about Ngannou, I feel like I held higher opinion of Ngannou than most others. I really felt like Ngannou was more than just power, he had timing, speed, footwork for a big guy, power, strong, powerful, and developed a great TDD as well. To this day, I think Jones was shook by Ngannou, and believe that Ngannou would have sent Jones to the deepest depth of a shadow realm and Jones knew this. I know what happened to Gane, but match ups make fights. Gane and Ngannou can't be any more different. Gane was always going to be a difficult fight for Ngannou.

But Ngannou, if honest, never developed any hardcore followings like PRIDE legends. He never had much of that. The guy never went mainstream either, nor did he have much title defense to speak of. Lots of people don't give him credit for some of his wins as well, though I tend to do so and believe that his HW resume is arguably up there with the best.

For me, I don't consider Ngannou a legend. For me, I consider Ngannou a great fighter who had a great run in UFC heavyweight division and that's really about it. I just saw Fury interview and he looks in phenomenal shape. Ngannou is going to get the drubbing of his life and he will likely lose whatever appeal he had, if at all, to the public. I questioned his choice right after, and I'm still of an opinion he made a mistake. He's getting 2 million more for this Fury fight which will be the biggest beating of his existence, but he could've gotten paid 8 million 7 months ago and then fight again, so he would've made more money during this span and wouldn't have taken 1/100th damage he will this weekend. And mind you, he only has two fights with PFL for 4 million each.

All in all, I think Ngannou's legacy as a fighter is, a fighter who was a great, albeit one dimensional, HW fighter who had a terrific career in UFC, but who overplayed his hand for greater perceived financial gain. No more or no less. Just wonder what Sherbros think.

What is Ngannou's legacy in MMA in your eyes?
What is the solid, concrete proof of Ngannou getting 8M show to fight Jones?

He's like the premium version of a video game. You spend an extra $20-$30 to get an extra skin and extra weapon skin and maybe a different player title, but it doesn't have significant impact.

Standard version $69.99: Cheick Kongo
Deluxe version $99.99: Francis Ngannou featuring crazy one punch KO power skin with wild, winging punches and a bum knee.

lmao funny cuz true.

It's funny how people thinks cain was too old for Ngannou when prime Cain got dropped by Kongo three times lol.

Basic fighter but with a lot of power.
Usually its not enough to get by, but this is the HW division we are talking about.

Aspinall would wreck him.

Ngannou would run through Aspinall imo.

The fight is starting soon. I think all in all, at least looking at this thread, public opinion on Ngannous is split, perhaps even drastically so for some if not many, but not sure which way it swings to.

Over the years, just looking back on talking to other sherbros about Ngannou, I feel like I held higher opinion of Ngannou than most others. I really felt like Ngannou was more than just power, he had timing, speed, footwork for a big guy, power, strong, powerful, and developed a great TDD as well. To this day, I think Jones was shook by Ngannou, and believe that Ngannou would have sent Jones to the deepest depth of a shadow realm and Jones knew this. I know what happened to Gane, but match ups make fights. Gane and Ngannou can't be any more different. Gane was always going to be a difficult fight for Ngannou.

But Ngannou, if honest, never developed any hardcore followings like PRIDE legends. He never had much of that. The guy never went mainstream either, nor did he have much title defense to speak of. Lots of people don't give him credit for some of his wins as well, though I tend to do so and believe that his HW resume is arguably up there with the best.

For me, I don't consider Ngannou a legend. For me, I consider Ngannou a great fighter who had a great run in UFC heavyweight division and that's really about it. I just saw Fury interview and he looks in phenomenal shape. Ngannou is going to get the drubbing of his life and he will likely lose whatever appeal he had, if at all, to the public. I questioned his choice right after, and I'm still of an opinion he made a mistake. He's getting 2 million more for this Fury fight which will be the biggest beating of his existence, but he could've gotten paid 8 million 7 months ago and then fight again, so he would've made more money during this span and wouldn't have taken 1/100th damage he will this weekend. And mind you, he only has two fights with PFL for 4 million each.

All in all, I think Ngannou's legacy as a fighter is, a fighter who was a great, albeit one dimensional, HW fighter who had a terrific career in UFC, but who overplayed his hand for greater perceived financial gain. No more or no less. Just wonder what Sherbros think.

What is Ngannou's legacy in MMA in your eyes?
Also regarding your post w/ Ngannou... I think you're downplaying how good he was.
He fought Gane w/ a bum knee. He only took that fight injured to finish his contract.
He beat Stipe in the rematch showing his wrestling was vastly improved (which is also how he beat Gane).
He was a fearsome striker who could knockout anyone.

All in all, he was one of the best heavyweights to ever do it, who unfortunately left in his prime so we haven't gotten to see it. I wanted to bet him vs Jones at what would have been even-ish. I think Francis size & power would have been a real fucking problem. Don't think Jones would have been able to take him down at will due to the size, weight, and strength difference - and I give Francis the edge on the feet due to the massive power difference.
IMO it was Jones who ducked Francis by not moving up until he was gone. He knew Francis was a problem and major threat to his legacy.
But this - we will probably never know.

Also regarding your post w/ Ngannou... I think you're downplaying how good he was.
He fought Gane w/ a bum knee. He only took that fight injured to finish his contract.
He beat Stipe in the rematch showing his wrestling was vastly improved (which is also how he beat Gane).
He was a fearsome striker who could knockout anyone.

All in all, he was one of the best heavyweights to ever do it, who unfortunately left in his prime so we haven't gotten to see it. I wanted to bet him vs Jones at what would have been even-ish. I think Francis size & power would have been a real fucking problem. Don't think Jones would have been able to take him down at will due to the size, weight, and strength difference - and I give Francis the edge on the feet due to the massive power difference.
IMO it was Jones who ducked Francis by not moving up until he was gone. He knew Francis was a problem and major threat to his legacy.
But this - we will probably never know.

I don't downplay Ngannou at all. I had Ngannou over Stipe in both fights. I think Ngannou would send Jones to the deepest shadow realm, and would starch Aspinall in round 1, and probably Sergei too.

So it's not like I'm selling him short by any means. But he can't box for shit. It will take absolute miracle and also Fury fucking around for him to land that hail mary of all hail mary.

no even the coach is literally saying 8 million for jones fight.
Ngannou himself said it was "around 8 million" on for the Jones fight, the fights after that are a different story and i wasnt talking about those, just the Jones fight, agreed that if he loses to Jones there is no way the UFC keeps paying him that much, or even if he wins and gets to fight some contender.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news-francis-ngannou-reveals-much-money-made-jon-jones-fight

A lot of HW's have better resumes per se but I think Francis will be remembered as one of the most intimidating and probably the hardest puncher in MMA history. I have Fedor number 1 at HW all time still, but as far as UFC heavyweights go I would say at his peak, other than Jones he is the best.

And yes I know his HW resume is better than Jones'

lmao funny cuz true.

It's funny how people thinks cain was too old for Ngannou when prime Cain got dropped by Kongo three times lol.
kongo-barry_finish.gif

I mean it's HW any guy here can KO a horse it's almost impossible you fight in Monsters category for years and doesn't get dropped.

Struve dropped Miocic Prime and later he eat Ngannou shots.

stipe-struve.gif
a5c71c9152b9b5317b88b8c076adb23f.gif

DBD42144-7603-4565-BB5C-62914362BA68.gif

Cain Prime it's a work of art.
cain+beats+down+lesnar.gif

Ngannou himself said it was "around 8 million" on for the Jones fight, the fights after that are a different story and i wasnt talking about those, just the Jones fight, agreed that if he loses to Jones there is no way the UFC keeps paying him that much, or even if he wins and gets to fight some contender.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news-francis-ngannou-reveals-much-money-made-jon-jones-fight

I mean, if you want to discredit anything without a financial statement, then go ahead, up to you.

His coach was saying it wasn't 8 million per fight, saying it could drop if he were to have lost to Jones. It could be more than 8 million too who knows.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/fra...st-to-jon-jones-it-wasnt-8-million-per-fight/

At the end of the day, he's getting paid a lot of money. We will see if he would have stayed he would've made more money. I think so personally, but who knows.

I think ngannou would've starched jones and either way he would've made 8 million 7 months ago. 4 million per 2 PFL fights and whatever stake, 10 mill from Fury, I personally think he could've topped that, but we will see.

kongo-barry_finish.gif

I mean it's HW any guy here can KO a horse it's almost impossible you fight in Monsters category for years and doesn't get dropped.

Struve dropped Miocic Prime and later he eat Ngannou shots.

stipe-struve.gif
a5c71c9152b9b5317b88b8c076adb23f.gif

DBD42144-7603-4565-BB5C-62914362BA68.gif

Cain Prime it's a work of art.
cain+beats+down+lesnar.gif

I think prime Ngannou beats both.

I do wish we saw prime JDS vs prime Ngannou though.

Something like standing on the side of the road for the tour de france I assume.

He stopped competing in the freakshow (UFC) and made good money in boxing against the greatest heavyweight ever. A cheating foul human like Cocaine Jones is not even worth to be compared with the gypsy king….

Dana really goofed on this guy.

Huge, muscular, heavyweight with knock out power and Dana can't even afford to pay the guy.

Why not co promote like he did with Conor the clown?

He can't box, but he has good timing and distance and moves well for a heavyweight and obviously hits hard as helll.

He's not technical no, but he's a great striker in MMA heavyweight division. For comparison, people say Aspinall has good boxing, Ngannou would starch him in the first.
Holy bejesus Francis can actually box...
He just beat FURY IMO and did it with a style that would be successful within MMA.

That version of Francis we saw vs Fury is probably the GOAT HW fighter in MMA and should currently be the HW champ of boxing.

Holy bejesus Francis can actually box...
He just beat FURY IMO and did it with a style that would be successful within MMA.

That version of Francis we saw vs Fury is probably the GOAT HW fighter in MMA and should currently be the HW champ of boxing.

Arguably the most impressive thing Ive ever seen in combat sports for sure.

Who knew he had it in him? Mindblowing.

Mad kudos to Francis. Made me eat crow and havent felt that way ever.

Just amazing.

Back