What Happens to Dustin Ortiz Will Tell Us the Fate of the Flyweight Division

They should scrap it and just hand Cejudo the 135 belt

He didn’t save shit. He just keeps saying it to toot his own horn as he does with so many other things, in search of validation. This whole thing about calling himself “the best combat athlete of all time”, because he won Olympic gold and a UFC title is so ridiculous. There are far more accomplished mma resumes out there—dude has one defense for crying out loud. He acts like he’s the first and only person to ever beat DJ. To top it off, he always likes to refer to himself in the 3rd person like a total douche.

The worst part of it all is that I find myself rooting for him in all his fights, even though I can’t stand the little twerp.

Sorry, but that is plain wrong.

Women's 145 division was created for Cyborg in order to keep her in the UFC. They fucked it up by not waiting for her and making that Holm & GDR fight. They reckoned Holm would win and setup a great fight for the fans. But she lost and GDR immediately run back to 135 and killed the division. UFC got afraid girls at 145 would run from Cyborg so they failed to sign a single fighter.

125 was built for Mighty Mouse. But the UFC had a poor relationship with him and petty as they are, they refused to promote it. So when Mighty Mouse lost, they attempted to kill the division by shipping DJ out and having TJ move down, grab the belt then leave. That would leave the division in disarray and without a champion.

Cejudo won and asserted the 125 fighters as legitimate. Now we will see what UFC does next. IMHO is to have Cejudo move up and grab the 135 belt then force him to give 125Lbs belt, killing the division (same way, by leaving it leaderless). It remains to be seen if it will happen.

Why are 125’ers more legitimate now than when DJ was there?

Let's be honest: The only reason 125 was made was to create more champions and title fights. As it turned out, 125 didn't make for a division interresting enough for people to tune in, so it's gonna be scrapped.
I think I agree with Benavidez' suggestion that DJ's "brilliance" ruined flyweight.

There were basically two possible explanations for DJ's dominance: 1) flyweight was super weak or 2) DJ really was a GOAT fighter. Most people deep down believed flyweight was weak.

However, I agree with Benavidez that DJ was truly a brilliant fighter. His dominance made flyweight look bad, and boring. It should be given a few more years.

I thought he did it higher up than that but after watching it it doesn't seem as insane as a lot of people made it seem like..
try to do it...
You can't do it to a willing person, let alone a top pro-fighter.

Why are 125’ers more legitimate now than when DJ was there?
they are not.
but it is the same argument about SIlva's MW division being weak.
When the champion is very dominant, the division seems week.

so when DJ cleaned up the division, people started questioning if there was any talent besides him. It became obvious now, since Cejudo humiliated TJ in 30 seconds.
I say even more. If this was DJ, people would still claim the division was weak.

I think getting rid of the division makes actually more sense now than ever.

Perhaps its survival was never really in question, and was just a product of TJ's shit-talk about being sent to "shut down the division". There's never been any official word from Dana or the UFC confirming that they're ending 125.

they are not.
but it is the same argument about SIlva's MW division being weak.
When the champion is very dominant, the division seems week.

so when DJ cleaned up the division, people started questioning if there was any talent besides him. It became obvious now, since Cejudo humiliated TJ in 30 seconds.
I say even more. If this was DJ, people would still claim the division was weak.

I get what you’re saying. I think the division is still weak, regardless of what anyone thought they learned from a 32 second fight. I think Cejudo beating TJ validates Cejudo and not necessarily the rest of the division. It’s still a top heavy division—it thins out after Cejudo and Benavides.

I get what you’re saying. I think the division is still weak, regardless of what anyone thought they learned from a 32 second fight. I think Cejudo beating TJ validates Cejudo and not necessarily the rest of the division. It’s still a top heavy division—it thins out after Cejudo and Benavides.

Well, can't complain when so many left the division exactly because of DJ's dominance. And good fighters like Dodson or Lineker.
That's one of the problems of a dominant champion. If you get title shots but loses to that champion, there's nowhere to go in the division. But once he is out, I bet those fighters (who are not fighting for the belt at 135) would come back.

Well, can't complain when so many left the division exactly because of DJ's dominance. And good fighters like Dodson or Lineker.
That's one of the problems of a dominant champion. If you get title shots but loses to that champion, there's nowhere to go in the division. But once he is out, I bet those fighters (who are not fighting for the belt at 135) would come back.

I guess that’s also possible. Time will tell what happens.

I guess that’s also possible. Time will tell what happens.
Agree.
though it is a tricky thing... I mean, with all the rumors about scratching the division, even those who thought about it are probably thinking that it is more "secure" to be a top 10 at 135 than try to get the belt at 125.... unless UFC sends a clear signal that they are not thinking about closing up the division...
But so far, reports are not optimistic.

Back