Opinion What happened to the news?

Trayvon happened first.

Thats when we learned that even if you run away, it can be taken as a threat and you could be killed for it.

Zimmerman was heading back to his truck when he was attacked from behind. So you are correct.

What happened to the news?

I don't mean what happened to the days of Walter Cronkite, I mean what happened to the news I knew just 10 years ago?

In the mid 2000's documentaries were where it was at. Plenty of really great, and informative documentaries were coming out constantly. There is a documentary thread here that is amazing, if a bit dated.

Then that deep dive format moved to on-line platforms, and morphed into news shows, and podcasts.

Now, with the tech Giants suppressing results for non-corporate news media, it feels like the news went from being on a death watch, to being cremated.

No matter where I go, all I can seem to find is corporate news stories. Wall to wall coverage of Trump. As if nothing else is really going on in the world.

Am I the only one who feels very frustrated with the content of news coverage today, and how the attempt to stop fake news, has resulted in the real fake news being given a Monopoly?

Discuss.......

Joe Rogan just had on Matt Taibi and they talk about this subject a lot. Basically money is what happened. The internet slowly started killing off more and more avenues that the media used to make money and forced them into what they are now.

We should dig it back up, but VR is correct when he says there has been a giant shift from documentaries to podcast. Way too much ranting going on these days. But that's quick and cheap I suppose, when documentaries take substantial time and energy.

The news has always been bad but now it's so bad I feel dirty after I watch a few seconds of it.

It's sad to see the media go out of it's way to destroy anyone exposing government corruption, literally destroying their own protection in the 1st amendment while siding with the CIA and the establishment every step of the way.

Protection big money interest at all cost, never criticizing the uber powerful.

Always rolling out the same solution to every crisis, whether its 9/11, global warming or a financial crisis you can bet the media is going push a solution of massive austerity for the masses and consolidation of power and wealth for the elite.

Joe Rogan just had on Matt Taibi and they talk about this subject a lot. Basically money is what happened. The internet slowly started killing off more and more avenues that the media used to make money and forced them into what they are now.

i listened to this today at work. Great episode.

matt being far left, still realized the left has lost their collective minds and can’t be called journalists anymore

people stopped listening to be informed and started listening to be told what they already wanted to believe. Its pandering and it began in Clintons second term.
I agree. The news started to shift in the late 90s. It got vicious in the mid 2000s. And went retarded somewhere between then and now. Trayvon and all that seemed to be a dream come true for them. Basically the news is propaganda and or tabloid nonsense now.

Good journalism exists. If you want a macro-level view of things - read Financial Times. For a conscious (not smarmy liberal elite) leftist take, listen to / read Democracy Now! Check Wikileaks for the latest disclosures. RT has a surprisingly good take on western foreign policy. Current Affairs is a great leftist opinion blog tackling substantive issues. Matt Taibbi as a reporter is great. Glenn Greenwald is good as well, though he hasn't been active as of late.

NYT has some good stuff, but everything related to politics is fairly biased and should be avoided. Pick and choose some decent stories from Bloomberg and WSJ. Avoid CNN, MSNBC, and Fox like the plague.

Note that that bipartisan consensus is in favor of positions advanced by mainstream liberals. So who has an interest in focusing on social issues? The right. And the MSM as a rule treats bothsidesism as a religion. You, of course, play into the very problem you're talking about.

Yes, because I am all powerful, so are all the other rubes. Look at the power we have in support of topics like money in politics, or Medicare for all that have 70% plus support, and how Pelosi and Obama fought tooth and nail to prove you right.

(E-sarcasm)

With Trump, Globalists have entered panic mode. Although to be fair, it did slightly start before him. Now it is time for them to double down and go full frontal assault.

Trump is a globalist. You god damned autistic mess.

Yes, because I am all powerful, so are all the other rubes. Look at the power we have in support of topics like money in politics, or Medicare for all that have 70% plus support, and how Pelosi and Obama fought tooth and nail to prove you right.

(E-sarcasm)

It's not about power. It's about rubes like you voting for politicians who push policies that you dislike because you get sucked into culture-war bullshit and think that you're voting to say fuck you to minorities and transgendered people rather than for tax cuts for the rich and rollbacks on healthcare.

It's not about power. It's about rubes like you voting for politicians who push policies that you dislike because you get sucked into culture-war bullshit and think that you're voting to say fuck you to minorities and transgendered people rather than for tax cuts for the rich and rollbacks on healthcare.

You mean when I voted for Jill Stein?

Trayvon happened first.

Thats when we learned that even if you run away, it can be taken as a threat and you could be killed for it.

He was on top of Zimmerman beating his head into the ground when he was shot. And he had run away THEN come back to confront. People need to stop with this nonsense.

Back