Opinion What happened to the news?

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What happened to the news?

I don't mean what happened to the days of Walter Cronkite, I mean what happened to the news I knew just 10 years ago?

In the mid 2000's documentaries were where it was at. Plenty of really great, and informative documentaries were coming out constantly. There is a documentary thread here that is amazing, if a bit dated.

Then that deep dive format moved to on-line platforms, and morphed into news shows, and podcasts.

Now, with the tech Giants suppressing results for non-corporate news media, it feels like the news went from being on a death watch, to being cremated.

No matter where I go, all I can seem to find is corporate news stories. Wall to wall coverage of Trump. As if nothing else is really going on in the world.

Am I the only one who feels very frustrated with the content of news coverage today, and how the attempt to stop fake news, has resulted in the real fake news being given a Monopoly?

Discuss.......

Mike Brown, and Trayvon Martin happened.

Then Trump happened.

people stopped listening to be informed and started listening to be told what they already wanted to believe. Its pandering and it began in Clintons second term.

There is a documentary thread here that is amazing, if a bit dated
Damn I forgot about that thread. I would lurk it weekly long long long before I ever posted here. That was sodapopinski no?

With Trump, Globalists have entered panic mode. Although to be fair, it did slightly start before him. Now it is time for them to double down and go full frontal assault.

Well, it’s mostly that the orange man, is bad.

VERY BAD!!!

Obama and Social Media happened. It all went downhill once he started using the Media as his VIP lap dancers.

Nothing happened. They’ve always been what they are now. Trump just exposed them.

I think news became more about ratings/revenue and therefore more about entertainment and hooking people for the news slot and timeslots right after.

The news has become abysmal here in Aus too, Viva.

All they care about is getting good ratings

That's why the news so repetitive. They have to cover the big stories, or else somebody will do it, and end up getting better ratings.

That's why the news so repetitive. They have to cover the big stories, or else somebody will do it, and end up getting better ratings.
Exactly this. Someone like Trump isn’t the reason the news became like this. But he’s a perfect vehicle for networks to achieve their objectives. Him being a dick is great for ratings.

Last edited:
check the historical record and realize radio and newspaper have always been tools of propaganda and conditioning, just because you were too naive to realize you were being blatantly lied to 10 years ago doesnt mean it was actually any better buddy

This is what confuses me. That cocaine on the beach story in France is utter click bait, and yet not one American news outlet covered that story.

What happened to the news?

I don't mean what happened to the days of Walter Cronkite, I mean what happened to the news I knew just 10 years ago?

In the mid 2000's documentaries were where it was at. Plenty of really great, and informative documentaries were coming out constantly. There is a documentary thread here that is amazing, if a bit dated.

Then that deep dive format moved to on-line platforms, and morphed into news shows, and podcasts.

Now, with the tech Giants suppressing results for non-corporate news media, it feels like the news went from being on a death watch, to being cremated.

No matter where I go, all I can seem to find is corporate news stories. Wall to wall coverage of Trump. As if nothing else is really going on in the world.

Am I the only one who feels very frustrated with the content of news coverage today, and how the attempt to stop fake news, has resulted in the real fake news being given a Monopoly?

Discuss.......

I notice you talk about guns a lot, do you actually own any?

You don't have to answer out loud, a gesture will do:

giphy.gif

Just opened my google News app and I see links from independent or non giant corporate sources. So, seems fine to me

Mike Brown, and Trayvon Martin happened.

Then Trump happened.
Trayvon happened first.

Thats when we learned that even if you run away, it can be taken as a threat and you could be killed for it.

news merged with infotainment at some point
to even get a somewhat clear, unbiased take on stories one
has to glean info from numerous sources.
not good for the lazy amongst us

Trayvon happened first.

Thats when we learned that even if you run away, it can be taken as a threat and you could be killed for it.

Well, there is also the head slamming into pavement part you're leaving out.

Trayvon happened first.

Mmm, didn't he get shot in a scuffle?

I notice you talk about guns a lot, do you actually own any?

You don't have to answer out loud, a gesture will do:

giphy.gif

Not right now. I have before. I am mad at myself for not buying a AR, before they required a class to own one in my state. Leaning towards buying a .308.

Back