What exactly is a "puncher's chance"?

The best example of a puncher's chance working in MMA would be when Ray Mercer flattened Tim Sylvia on his first punch thrown. I don't think you could possibly create a better example, unless Ray Mercer was even older and more out of shape and Tim Sylvia was replaced by Fedor.

I remember when the Hardy vs GSP fight was promoted by saying Hardy has a punchers chance.

Great example of proper use.

I am still not a fan of the term being used in MMA, outside of some exceptions like the one you pointed out, the obvious reason being there are many ways to finish a MMA fight. Even in this case, it isn't ridiculous to think Nelson had a chance to submit Cain, right?

The term came from boxing and should stay there.

I don't know, I'm just not sold on Roy's jj. That's why I'm really interested in seeing Cormier/Nelson going to the ground rather than staying upright.

I also think the term is relevant in mma. I understand what you're saying about multiple ways of finishing a fight, but I can't think of situation where a guy was getting outclassed for three rounds then pulls off a flying knee. One punch ko's are the norm for comeback victories so I just don't see "Puncher's Chance" going away anytime soon.

If you have puncher chance it means that you have a lot of chance to be a good puncher because you would probably not be fighting pro in the UFC being not well rounded enough...

:wink:

I think GSP vs Serra 1 is the epitome of a puncher's chance in action.

It's the only chance Hendricks has against GSP :wink:

That a fighter has the physical ability to win the fight in one second if their opponent makes a mistake but that the chances of this actually happening are slim to none.

I think TS is the one person who thought Forrest would beat Silva. Punchers chance is like Hendricks vs GSP. GSP is better at everything, but Hendricks might land a miracle punch.

Now humor me:
Out of Thiago Alves, Josh Koscheck, and Dan Hardy, who had the best puncher's chance against GSP?

the term most aptly applies to Hardy.

but i would argue that you shouldn't worry too much about colloquialisms around here. you know what they mean generally. no point in getting upset that they don't make much sense beyond skin deep.

not unlike those why say a fighter has a "bad chin" after they go down hard from a temple shot. you know what they mean, and you know it's not technically accurate, so why bother getting semantic?

What djacobox said. it is for a longshot who is known to have one punch knockout power.

Serra had a puncher's chance against GSP.

This thread has a "puncher's chance" of being interesting.

haha nice... yeah this thread is pretty damn simple.. everyone knows what a punchers chance is.

every fighter has a punchers chance. (well except Jake Shields). The more "dangerous" the standup fighter the bigger their chance. Heavy handed, throws a lot of volume,or just known for being effective standing=dangerous. No rocket surgery.

the term most aptly applies to Hardy.

but i would argue that you shouldn't worry too much about colloquialisms around here. you know what they mean generally. no point in getting upset that they don't make much sense beyond skin deep.

not unlike those why say a fighter has a "bad chin" after they go down hard from a temple shot. you know what they mean, and you know it's not technically accurate, so why bother getting semantic?

It is technically accurate though to say a guy has a bad chin when he goes down from say a weak temple shot. Everyone knows the meaning of the expression.. youd think people would just pick up on it that it translates to "ability to take a punch".

It is technically accurate though to say a guy has a bad chin when he goes down from say a weak temple shot. Everyone knows the meaning of the expression.. youd think people would just pick up on it that it translates to "ability to take a punch".

i would argue that the exact same thing applies to "punchers chance". which was my point.

TS knows what it means. he's just getting semantical (good word, semantical) :)

It's called a PUNCHER'S chance and it's a boxing expression meaning the guy who has it is a puncher, which is distinguished from a boxer. Punchers, as compared to boxers, are less likely to win decisions as they tend to have lower output and land ratios. Usually, the boxer is expected to beat the puncher, but as you noted, this isn't always the case, so sometimes the "puncher's chance" is actually "more likely than not." But usually it comes down to how good the boxer is; if he's very good (like a Klitschko, for example) then the puncher's chance is probably pretty small unless he's a prime Tyson or some guy like that.

But a fight like Stout vs. Henderson is a fight where "puncher's chance" doesn't come into play at all, and I think you listing that shows your conception of "puncher's chance" was a little messed up. Neither of those guys are punchers. You need to have a puncher before you can talk about "puncher's chances."

And in MMA, obviously another big wrinkle is that a puncher can be taken down, so a worse puncher might have a better puncher's chance against a wrestler than a better puncher if he's better at keeping it standing. So the guys who actually had the best chance of KO'ing GSP weren't the punchers like Alves and Hardy, because they had no hope of staying upright and nothing for GSP off their backs to keep him cautious about trying takedowns. Condit had a better chance because his ground game allowed him to keep the fight standing and keep GSP's respect on the ground.

Obviously putting boxing terms into MMA is always a little messed up, but bottom line, you need somebody you can at least conceive of calling a puncher in there. A guy who gets 1 KO for every 5000 punches isn't a puncher.

Yea, I meant the first listed fighter in each case.

Anderson was listed first. I was wondering what someone would rate his puncher's chance to be against Forrest.

I'm not sure we share the same definition of the phrase..

if you have a punchers chance,You're a fighter with dynamite that isn't very well rounded. that means you're outclassed almost-everywhere and huge underdog and the only concieveable way to win is a suprise K.O.

anderson wouldn't have a considered "puncher's chance" because he has several skills and options he can apply to win a fight.

Roy Nelson however, Only chance to win a fight agasint..... lets say Cain is a K.O. Because he's certainly not going to outwrestle him.

Roy would have a "punchers chance" at best.

Matt Serra vs GSP is the perfect example.

GSP killing him in the rematch proved it was a fluke.

Much like Serra against GSP, Hendricks has a puncher's chance to win.

Back