• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What does Tony gain from fighting Gaethje?

Yeah good points. I know he left McGregor’s manager. And yeah I remember what happened to Story. Feet’s manager better be good because the UFC won’t automatically have sympathy for Tony.
A real shame about Rick Story, a real class person.

Ferguson has not fought since last June. This fight means getting paid, and if he wins the interim belt- PPV Points in a fight against Khabib. He gains financially instead of sitting out for Khabib for 4-5 months.
High rewards if he wins + title fight, but if he loses?

Have you ever heard Tony Ferguson speak?

I don't see him being very employable or making much money after his career is over - he's not DC or Cruz

he has a very short window to earn as much money as possible doing this - because I don't see him being able to do anything else
Tony gives me bad vibes if I’m honest. I don’t want to say what but they’re ominous vibes.

True that he’s not going to be a media member. I still feel it’s a risk though. He’s going to get paid to fight Khabib and I bet it would be a similar amount to the money he will get paid for fighting Gaethje. If he can afford to wait for Khabib he avoids fighting Gaethje purely for cash and manages to hopefully keep his body together in time for the Khabib fight. If he beats Khabib it makes him the best LW of all time and he then would make good money to fight Gaethje for the real belt, or huge money to defend against Conor.

The risk is that Gaethje ruins him and ruins his future money making opportunities when there isn’t even a real belt on the line. He might beat Gaethje but take a ton of damage and then go on to lose his next fight partly due to the damage caused and then people will act like he was never anything special. At least if he wins against he gets two decent paydays whereas waiting for Khabib and losing means that he only gets one payday. I just see the fight against Gaethje on short notice under fuzzy circumstances as a huge risk when the title is not line and I’d prefer to see him try and wait for Khabib if it’s possible.

Last edited:
There is no need to be a salty little asshole,what a dickhead of a poster! i was trying to have a normal coversation and all i was saying is that if tony loses he wont get the title shot it will be gaethje and then u decide to go a full on rambling meltdown.
I try to be polite most of the time on here but I can’t be dealing with noobs; they shouldn’t even be allowed an opinion and they shouldn’t be allowed to judge a fighter like Tony Ferguson when they don’t know how the fight game works.

You said that Tony couldn’t possibly beat Khabib if Tony lost to Gaethje and Khabib beat Gaethje. Educate yourself and come back under a new username with new knowledge.

Tony gives me bad vibes if I’m honest. I don’t want to say what but they’re ominous vibes.

True that he’s not going to be a media member. I still feel it’s a risk though. He’s going to get paid to fight Khabib and I bet it would be a similar amount to the money he will get paid for fighting Gaethje. If he can afford to wait for Khabib he avoids fighting Gaethje purely for cash and manages to hopefully keep his body together in time for the Khabib fight. If he beats Khabib it makes him the best LW of all time and he then would get make good money to fight Gaethje for the real belt, or huge money to defend against Conor.

The risk is that Gaethje ruins him and ruins his future money making opportunities when there isn’t even a real belt on the line.

Gaethje is a terrible matchup for him extremely high risk with very low reward - it's simply about money but thats why he's fighting isnt it?

legacy is great but nobody would fight for free - end of the day he has a family to feed and has a obligation to his family to maximize his income for the the short window he has left

High rewards if he wins + title fight, but if he loses?

There is no chance he took this fight unless they were VERY generous with what they are paying him.

So he’s retarted?
giphy.gif

Gaethje is a terrible matchup for him extremely high risk with very low reward - it's simply about money but thats why he's fighting isnt it?

legacy is great but nobody would fight for free - end of the day he has a family to feed and has a obligation to his family to maximize his income for the the short window he has left
I ended up editing my post a little.
But yeah fighting for money is a motivation for nearly every fighter. Some really care about legacy though. When you’ve put together 12 wins in a row I think you care about your legacy and I think winning the belt has to be important to you. If Tony somehow comes out of this by wiping the floor with Gaethje and then beating Khabib then we are seriously looking at one of the very best ever.

I ended up editing my post a little.
But yeah fighting for money is a motivation for nearly every fighter. Some really care about legacy though. When you’ve put together 12 wins in a row I think you care about your legacy and I think winning the belt has to be important to you. If Tony somehow comes out of this by wiping the floor with Gaethje and then beating Khabib then we are seriously looking at one of the very best ever.

exactly - and he’s putting himself in that position to be so and time is really fighting against him so he doesn’t have the luxury to wait

There is no chance he took this fight unless they were VERY generous with what they are paying him.
Fighters can be dumb. Look at Donald. I guess he was kind of gifted the opportunity to fight McGregor but if he really did only get 200k then he’s an idiot. Alvarez fought Conor for peanuts too. I’d like to think Tony is getting minimum 500k to just show up but it’s hard to have faith in Dana and WME.

exactly - and he’s putting himself in that position to be so and time is really fighting against him so he doesn’t have the luxury to wait
I think I’m always going to be of the opinion that he should try and wait one more time for Khabib but I do understand that time is really running out and that Tony is unfortunately in a very tough position.

Who do you have in the Gaethje Tony fight?

I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes close to $1 million total after everything. Not bad at all.

I think I’m always going to be of the opinion that he should try and wait one more time for Khabib but I do understand that time is really running out and that Tony is unfortunately in a very tough position.

Who do you have in the Gaethje Tony fight?

Gaethje takes it IMO - huge power and Tony is very hittable

now sure how Gaethje's gas tank is gonna be on the short tank but may be a huge problem if the fight goes late

I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes close to $1 million total after everything. Not bad at all.
500k to show and 500k to win wouldn’t be that bad and it wouldn’t shock me if he got that. I’d prefer something like 750k to show and then maybe 350k to win. In reality he should be getting more more money than that but the UFC doesn’t split their profits ina way that benefits the fighters.

I’m not really a fan of fighters having to win to earn the second half of their paycheque, and certainly not in this kind of cicrcumstance.

Fighters can be dumb. Look at Donald. I guess he was kind of gifted the opportunity to fight McGregor but if he really did only get 200k then he’s an idiot. Alvarez fought Conor for peanuts too. I’d like to think Tony is getting minimum 500k to just show up but it’s hard to have faith in Dana and WME.

But in this case, Tony has all the leverage really (which he's never had before). As soon as Khabib went back to Russia and Dana insisted that the card would still proceed, he basically bent over to Tony's management group. (That's overstating it a bit I realize...) This evidently is for the interim title too, which means at worst Tony will get pay commensurate for that. But once Khabib pulled out or was unable to be available or whatever, Tony EASILY could have said "I'll wait. We all know it's me and Khabib so we'll do it later in the summer or whatever." And because Khabib left first, the UFC would have zero choice but to postpone and then Tony gets his big payday at that time. So when they go to him with this fight, of course his management group knows all this and says "Tony will do it, but you need to compensate him for saving the card and taking this chance. Otherwise he'll wait until he and Khabib can fight." What's Dana gonna do? He either pays him or he makes Rose/Andrade the ME. And that's clearly NOT what he wanted to do, he wants a banger of a LW title fight (interim now).

There's just no chance Tony is getting less than half a mil, and it's probably a lot more than that.

I can't believe they're doing this. I don't wanna see Gaethje, I wanna see Khabib in there.
Just postpone the fight.

<JonesDXSuckIt><CanYouSeeMeNow>

Gaethje takes it IMO - huge power and Tony is very hittable

now sure how Gaethje's gas tank is gonna be on the short tank but may be a huge problem if the fight goes late
Yeah I basically see it that way too. I think Gaethje can knock him out early but I can certainly see Tony drowning Gaethje, especially a Gaethje who hasn’t had a full camp. I’d probably lean towards Tony but it’s one of his hardest fights for sure.

Back