What does Pettis have to do to surpass BJ Penn?

Yeah BJ had a rough last chapter to his career so of course that is all sherdog posters seem to remember. But take solace in the fact that whenever anyone does a top 10 GOAT list you will find BJ's name there more often than not. There are no other LWs within earshot of the top 10 all time.

So when everyone is done trolling and flaming each other everyone pretty much agrees that BJ is one of the true greats.

BJ is number 6 on my P4P list. Ahead of Wand and behind Jose Aldo.

BJ GOAT status is not because of his skills... is because his balls.

IMO Pettis is already better fighter than BJ but he would never fight at WW, MW or HW

He just needs to defend, fight more and maybe a super fight. But it will be hard to topple Penn due to him establishing 155 as a relevant weight class to watch and pretty much paved the way for all the lightweights.

Do more than carry a rock underwater during his training camp.

I kid, I kid.

BJ is number 6 on my P4P list. Ahead of Wand and behind Jose Aldo.

That's a bit high imo. I have him right at the bottom of the top 10. I think guys like Nog, Hendo, and Hughes need to come first. They are just too accomplished.

He already beat Gil, Bendo and Cerrone in unparalleled, spectacular fashion. All he needs now is volume of wins. The names are already there.

Quit?

He's already better and far more well rounded than BJ ever was.

I mean, he can start by fighting more than once every 18 months again.

Quit?

He's already better and far more well rounded than BJ ever was.

I doubt Pettis will ever tap to strikes, why anyone would think that based on his past is beyond me.

BJ is known as the best LW ever because he went up in weight and RNC'd Hughes when Hughes was in the middle of his epic reign as WW champion.

Whatever BJ's other faults were, whatever you think of his LW title run - BJ was a LW who went up in weight and captured the WW title, and the hearts (and minds) of many fans along with it.

Would you say the Pettis Matrix kick, and his submissions in the Bendo-Gil fights are on par with the Hughes upset? Or does Pettis have more to do? Maybe a win over Aldo?

You mean Edgar?

Pettis is already the best LW MMA has seen imo. His resume is very top heavy and needs to be filled out but nobody is fucking with two wins over Ben henderson in title fights (one finish), the only finish over Gil Melendez, first round finish of Cerrone.

Beating Florian, Sanchez, and Sherk isn't even close to that. One amazing win at WW doesn't make you the goat of a different weight class. Benson has a nice record but he lost twice head to head. Edgar, Gomi, Aoki, don't quite measure up and the later two were from a different era.

Penn was at one time virtually unbeatable at lightweight.

Be more active, get a few more spectacular wins, and keep building his brand

Penn would of had much more title defences but kept moving up to fight the best.

Beat the number of title defenses and have a few fights a weightclass or 2 above lw.

Back