What does Pettis have to do to surpass BJ Penn?

Aegon Spengler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
BJ is known as the best LW ever because he went up in weight and RNC'd Hughes when Hughes was in the middle of his epic reign as WW champion.

Whatever BJ's other faults were, whatever you think of his LW title run - BJ was a LW who went up in weight and captured the WW title, and the hearts (and minds) of many fans along with it.

Would you say the Pettis Matrix kick, and his submissions in the Bendo-Gil fights are on par with the Hughes upset? Or does Pettis have more to do? Maybe a win over Aldo?

It was a great accomplisment but really has no bearing on his status at LW. His LW record isn

BJ is the best LW ever for the things he did outside LW. Weird but true.

Beating Hughes.

Beating GSP in the first fight (terrible decision)

Sakuraba.

machida.

etc.

If he beats RDA and Khabib I'll be ready to put him over BJ. If not then he still has quite a few years left.

Only way he could catch Penn.... Would be to Hire Mike Dolce...

[YT]kyTbiHHlZp0[/YT]

staying healthy and defending the title at least twice a year would help.

BJ is the best LW ever for the things he did outside LW. Weird but true.

Beating Hughes.

Beating GSP in the first fight (terrible decision)

Sakuraba.

machida.

etc.

Sakuraba ?

BJ the greatest anything? I thought all of the "BJ is GOAT" anything boys all had realized they were wrong. If you want to sing the praises of him moving up in weight to beat Hughes (which was his first UFC title), you have recognize that before that, he had a shot at UFC LW gold, and was beaten. Since he won the LW belt (against Joe Stevens. Think about that), he went..
FW: 0-1
LW: 3-2
WW: 1-2-1

So I would not call him the best anything ever, much less best LW. Bendo had just as many title defenses as BJ did. Great fighter? Yes, one of the best. But he was too small for welterweight and not dedicated to the sport enough for LW. His record reflects that.

If Pettis gets tru those guys (RDA and Nurma), I think he will already be ahead BJ...

Finishing Lauzon, Cerrone, Bendo and Melendez in a roll is impressive as fuck...

Also, Pettis has a very very good carrer at WEC, including the belt...

And, if someday Pettis fight Jose Aldo and win, that will be more impressive than any BJ fight at WW...

All Anthony pettis would have to do is defend the title a couple more times. I would love to see pettis fight Edgar - as that match would be truly teliing

BJ the greatest anything? I thought all of the "BJ is GOAT" anything boys all had realized they were wrong. If you want to sing the praises of him moving up in weight to beat Hughes (which was his first UFC title), you have recognize that before that, he had a shot at UFC LW gold, and was beaten. Since he won the LW belt (against Joe Stevens. Think about that), he went..
FW: 0-1
LW: 3-2
WW: 1-2-1

So I would not call him the best anything ever, much less best LW. Bendo had just as many title defenses as BJ did. Great fighter? Yes, one of the best. But he was too small for welterweight and not dedicated to the sport enough for LW. His record reflects that.

Wikipedia-induced hindsight can be misleading.

Wikipedia-induced hindsight can be misleading.

I agree. It can.

But considering I am closer to 40 than 12, and probably older than 90% of this board, that isn't the case with me. BJ was a great fighter at LW that looked incredible against a few fighters. Let's call his fans having Fedor syndrome, but with a significantly smaller argument for being the best ever. Penn defended the belt THREE TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!! If you call him the LW greatest, you really need to watch more MMA.

Fight and defeat Jose Aldo. Then he'd surpass GSP as well.

Last edited:
Back