What does Pettis have to do to surpass BJ Penn?

Fight. He needs to actually fight and defend the belt.

Chill dude. He's young and just entering his prime. He recently got healthy and I think he'll have a busy year. If successful like I believe he will, then in 2016 we will all be treated to a Aldo/Pettis fight at 155.

After one more year, and Aldo clearing out the division beating McGregor and Frankie again, Aldo's horrific cut won't be so motivating anymore. He'll move up for the easier cut on his aging body and for a big payday. Also be apart of one of the biggest super fights in UFC history.

he needs to have a rematch with guida and win before even discussing surpassing penn

Chill dude. He's young and just entering his prime. He recently got healthy and I think he'll have a busy year. If successful like I believe he will, then in 2016 we will all be treated to a Aldo/Pettis fight at 155.

After one more year, and Aldo clearing out the division beating McGregor and Frankie again, Aldo's horrific cut won't be so motivating anymore. He'll move up for the easier cut on his aging body and for a big payday. Also be apart of one of the biggest super fights in UFC history.

you say we will be treated to Aldo vs Pettis fight at 155 in 2016, I hope you are right, but I wouldn't count on it. Unless Aldo just can't make 145 he probably won't move up. We have seen this before. Silva vs GSP, Ronda vs Cyborg, Jones vs Cain, etc. The last champ vs champ was GSP vs Penn II and that's been quite some time.

you say we will be treated to Aldo vs Pettis fight at 155 in 2016, I hope you are right, but I wouldn't count on it. Unless Aldo just can't make 145 he probably won't move up. We have seen this before. Silva vs GSP, Ronda vs Cyborg, Jones vs Cain, etc. The last champ vs champ was GSP vs Penn II and that's been quite some time.

Aldo and Pettis both said they'd do the fight in the future if the UFC wanted it. Aldo's body will force him to fight at 155 eventually. If Pettis keeps evolving and becoming dominant in every area, then he'll reign at 155 for at least a couple years and a super fight would be earned.

We actually will quite possibly see Aldo vs Pettis in 2016. But I am not sure it would be at 155, and it also will most likely not be for a title, considering the 45 and 55 holders will both be blonde men....

456060852-conor-mcgregor-poses-for-a-portrait-during-a-gettyimages.jpg
web-ufx1_weighin_013.jpg

We actually will quite possibly see Aldo vs Pettis in 2016. But I am not sure it would be at 155, and it also will most likely not be for a title, considering the 45 and 55 holders will both be blonde men....

456060852-conor-mcgregor-poses-for-a-portrait-during-a-gettyimages.jpg
web-ufx1_weighin_013.jpg

No way McGregor beats Aldo

BJ Penn's non LW accomplishments have no relation on wether or not he is the best LW of all time.

Defend the belt three more times, while continuing to tap guys who don't tap. That would do it for me.

For those downplaying BJ Penns LW career keep in mind that he does have 8 top 10 wins at LW and 3 title defenses. No one has quite surpassed that yet although Bendo came close.

For those downplaying BJ Penns LW career keep in mind that he does have 8 top 10 wins at LW and 3 title defenses. No one has quite surpassed that yet although Bendo came close.

When your one of the greats, your always going to have haters man. BJ haters look like fools when you open his career up. He's fought some of the most talented and dominating guys ranging from 155-170 his entire career. Not to mention he held gold in both WW and LW, AND fought Lyoto Machida. The former 205 champ and current 185 top contender.

Need I say more?

To surpass Penn he would have to go up (or down) in weight and defeat the champion. Personally I dont see Pettis beating Aldo at 145 nor do I see him become WW champ.

On an unrelated side note, imagine the first round of Pettis vs Erick Silva.

BJ Penns LW Record is 11-3-1 with 3 title defenses.

With wins over Gomi, Pulver, Sherk, Sanchez, Florian, Stevenson, Uno and Thomas.

I don't remember if he fought Ludwig at LW or WW but if it's LW then he's 12-3-1.

Just defend the title more than what BJ Penn did. LW is much stronger than what it was when BJ Penn ruled and what he did outside of LW is irrelevant.

EDIT: Just realised the thread is talking about overall, not just LW.

When your one of the greats, your always going to have haters man. BJ haters look like fools when you open his career up. He's fought some of the most talented and dominating guys ranging from 155-170 his entire career. Not to mention he held gold in both WW and LW, AND fought Lyoto Machida. The former 205 champ and current 185 top contender.

Need I say more?

Yeah BJ had a rough last chapter to his career so of course that is all sherdog posters seem to remember. But take solace in the fact that whenever anyone does a top 10 GOAT list you will find BJ's name there more often than not. There are no other LWs within earshot of the top 10 all time.

So when everyone is done trolling and flaming each other everyone pretty much agrees that BJ is one of the true greats.

Finishing Cerrone, Bendo and Melendez back to back is better than anything Penn has done at LW. Pettis has already surpassed him IMO.

Sherk wasn't ranked when they fought, was he? Not nit-picking, but curious.

Sherk wasn't ranked when they fought, was he? Not nit-picking, but curious.

Not sure if he was? He was the champion than got stripped of his title for testing positive for steroids or some illegal PED's. His ranking might have gone away but he was still a top fighter at LW when they fought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back