What do you want out of Jiu Jitsu?

BJJ is the freaking fountain of youth, man. I do BJJ primarily because it's fun as hell and I know it will keep me physically fit for the rest of my life.

Yeah, I want to earn that black belt eventually, but I'm in no hurry because I started at 23, I'm 25 now, and I know I'll be doing this until I'm like 70.

A healthy lifestyle, fellowship with good people I'd never otherwise meet, a chance to be my best and a legacy to pass on to my kids if they wish to pursue it.

BJJ is a lifestyle......it is part of me. After 15 1/2 years of doing it I can't see my self just stopping. I do other martial arts as well beside BJJ but it's my foundation and the rest are just icing on the cake.

For those that are looking to earn your black belt....once you get it...it is only the beginning.....you will be a newbie in the Black Belt Community.

i'd like to train into my 70's.... and enjoy the brotherhood (and sisterhood) social support network that jiu jitsu provides me to the end of my days!

bjj for life!

I like the sense of belonging to a world, away from the mainstream, where all your respect comes from your abilities and your attitude and humility, without the influences of economic or social hierarchy. Here, what happens on the mat and how you carry yourself as a man (or woman) is what's important.

To arm myself with enough knowledge to end up life as "the dangerous old guy that could fuck you up, homes".

"fucking funny mother fucker that snaps arms when people try to jack him"

I want that to be my nickname

I started training because I was a huge MMA fan since I was 16-17, had some wrestling experience, and wanted to learn that jiu jitsu stuff. I came in thinking I knew much more than I did (luckily I kept that to myself). So it was originally for the MMA-related application, even though I never really planned on competing in MMA.

I have continued training because it has become a key part of who I am, and I intend to do it for the rest of my life. I have no intention of making a career out of it, but if my lifelong training leads me to teaching or other things beyond training, I'm open to it, and would love it. I have become more interested in sport competition since training, and of course I love the physical fitness benefits and the bonding with team. So those things plus the MMA/self-defense applications are why I continue to train despite all the other things going on in my life.

1. Stay in shape
2. Have fun
3. Avoid serious injuries
4. Readjust my attitude / perspective after rough days
5. Keep it in perspective - it's just a hobby

Crush enemies, see them driven before me and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Just love rolling. And the fact that it is so hard to learn and advance into. If it is hard to achieve and gives you buckets of joy it has to be worth it right?

to be fit, the enjoyment i get from training, a black belt, the comraderie... a lot of things

a nice workout, a good place to meet friends with similar likes, and it is pretty much my primary activity outside the whole career thing.

primarily balance (mental, social and physical)

friends, competition, and a place to learn and hopefully teach

I would also like $1 million from jiu jitsu... not holding my breath.

What I want out of Jiu Jitsu is a improved spirit, mind, and body. Furthermore a better respect for myself and those around me. What is not often spoken about is the will of person which I hope goes to new heights.

I do jiu jitsu for the challenge, to get out my inner rage, and to be able to have the skills to defend myself if something bad ever happens.

I did it because I want to do MMA. Now I do it because I love it. After a class, I no longer am stressed about anything. It's just a calmness I get once a week. After college, I think my life will be better with it since I'll be doing more than once a week.

i just watched a video someone posted, of marcelo rolling with a guy at his gym. all i could think was "damn, i wanna move like *that* guy." i want that kind of fluid command over my body.

this is one of the few physical activities that engages my mind and intellect every bit as much as my body. if you're the sort who likes being poked, prodded and challenged in those ways, how could you not love this art?

Back