What do you want out of Jiu Jitsu?

Doctor Gonzo

Belfort's TRT-inspired mohawk.
@Green
Reaction score
I don't even know how to answer my own question, I wan't my black belt and that is a long long long long long time away, maybe you have more clear ideas on what you want from Jiu Jitsu.

I don't even know how to answer my own question, I wan't my black belt and that is a long long long long long time away, maybe you have more clear ideas on what you want from Jiu Jitsu.

I want fun, improve my mind and body, and to meet new people. Some self defense more or less too

I wanted a hobby that I could be excited about, that allowed for constant learning, that I could share with my kids and that my wife appreciated because it brought more positive than negatives.

That's what I went into it for.

Now, I just want it...I just want jiu jitsu. It's not the only thing I think about, but it certainly goes through my mind on a frequent basis.

I enjoy being creative, competitive, more confident, healthy and a better problem solver. I very very very much enjoy helping others feel the same way. Lifestyle for the win.

Last edited:
I wanted a hobby that I could be excited about, that allowed for constant learning, that I could share with my kids and that my wife appreciated because it brought more positive than negatives.

That's what I went into it for.

Now, I just want it...I just want jiu jitsu. It's not the only thing I think about, but it certainly goes through my mind on a frequent basis.

this is basically the same as me, except no wife, now its more of an obsession lol

when i realized i didn't wanna go the rest of my life having the last active thing i did be high school basketball. jiu jitsu is fun, relaxes me, and i can do it forever.

I want to be in shape, have fun, and know some self defense. Also I feel like our team is very tight knit, it's like we are a family by trainning together and going to competions.

I just want to study the sport and the art, I don't know. It's fun and it keeps me in pretty good shape. My girlfriend does it to protect herself because she goes to school in a rough neighborhood.

To arm myself with enough knowledge to end up life as "the dangerous old guy that could fuck you up, homes".

Stay in shape, something competitive, teach the kids, and clear my head at the end of the day.

The ability to fold people up like a Craftmatic Adjustable if need be.

I want to be different than other people my age.

P.S. And be able to fold people up like a "Craftmatic Adjustable if need be".

I want a black belt like most everubody, and I also want to increase my human potential through martial arts as well as compete and win.

The ability to fold people up like a Craftmatic Adjustable if need be.

Haha.

I do it because I've always loved martial arts, and BJJ is one of the most respected, while remaining quite rare.

I like what it does to my mind and my body, from the slow but sure progress toward a six-pack to the constant mental challenge of learning new techniques/variations.

Always been interested in martial arts and like the technique, style, and beauty of it. And I like the idea of being able to choke someone out or making someone quit if I have to, although I plan on never using it.

Plus, just before I turned 33 I kept getting these visions of myself at my last breath before death, and that kinda bothered me. Mid-life crisis thing, I think. This distracts me from that.

i think staying in shape and having fun while doing it is most important to me. lifting weights is boring, jogging is boring, swimming is boring, but there's never a dull moment in bjj.

one thing that i did not go into bjj wanting but certainly ended up with is a feeling of comradery. i've been training for a year and a half now and i've become friends on some level with so many cool people. some guys i just talk to in the gym, some i might get a bite to eat with after class, and some people come over at least once a month for a mma event or something.

Back