What do you want out of Jiu Jitsu?

To keep my mind and body young, to relieve stress, to compete, to set and accomplish goals, to be proficient at something I really enjoy, to one day pass it on... among other things.

Quite honestly, it's just a new nerdy subject for me to obsess about, like SF, The Wire, H.P. Lovecraft, Classical History, Anicent Languages or Role-Playing Games. The difference is that this one is mainly physical and doesn't fit as well with my geeky image.

Crush enemies, see them driven before me and to hear the lamentation of their women.
And this, of course.

Also to get people to stop questioning my sexual orientation since the Thundercougarfalconbird was too expensive

the power to vanquish my enemies

serious though, to just be a better person all around, physically and mentally, happiness

i just watched a video someone posted, of marcelo rolling with a guy at his gym. all i could think was "damn, i wanna move like *that* guy." i want that kind of fluid command over my body.

that's how I felt the first time I watch a John Holmes film.

Crush enemies, see them driven before me and to hear the lamentation of their women.

14v09qx.jpg

become so good that I could teach it, not as a job(sports are mostly non for profit here)

I initially started because I thought it was cool and I have to compete. I wrestled for years and knew that wrestling would eventually end after college. 6 years later, wrestling ended and BJJ was still there. What I wanted out of it changed over time but competition and testing my skills still remained at the top of my list. Now I train in no gi simply because it's a new challenge and it provides me with a more exciting form of exercise than my 5am gym workouts. I am hopefully, wife and daughter permitting, going to be competing again in the next few months.

I want a black belt like most everubody, and I also want to increase my human potential through martial arts as well as compete and win.

Me too. Great posts in here, my first comp is in october.

Also want to train fighters as my career, now I am just a personal trainer to average people, and a few ex-athletes.

Back