What do you think of welfare?

When we are giving crazy tax cuts to the rich, why do mother fuckers care so much about giving money to the the poor. FFS, it sucks being poor, no one wants to be worrying about how the fuck they are going to pay for gas to go to work. Shit I have been broke as fuck in my life time more than once. Hell I busted my ass taking care of my brothe in-laws kids and going to college. The only thing that made that possible was government assistance. Some people want to make that shit harder for people like me to get? Fuck you guys. I have clawed my way on my own to establish myself, fought working crazy amounts of hours and work while busted all to hell to get to the middle class, yet you want to make it even harder to pull yourself up out of the gutter? Fuck right off.

The rich take advantage of the poor every day. Most only willing to pay the absolute bottom dollar for labor, all the while milking every cent out of the company into their own pockets. This is the reality in America. Cunts like Trump get rich fucking over the system and face no consequences for it. Fuck every single one of you wanting to cut off assistance for the poor.

How about we try fixing the income inequality in the richest country in the world.

Last edited:
Went on food stamps after I got out of jail awhile back and couldn't find a job. I think I got a $150 a month. Very thankful for that program.

In the service industry it is common to both work and be on welfare.

Because we dont require businesses to pay a living wage.
It's atrocious that we don't at least have a public healthcare system or single payer. When I was on minimum wage, I didn't have health insurance and I busted my stomach up in an accident. I had a tennis ball sack size of fluid hanging out for a few months. I was in bad pain, I could feel the thing flopping around when I walked, and I could hardly breathe if I did anything more strenuous than walking -- and my job involved labor. I still have no idea what my injury was because I never went to the doctor. Any treatment for an injury would have put me tens of thousands of dollars in debt and any time taken off work to treat the injury would have made me homeless. So, instead I just hoped I wouldn't die and carried on like normal.

Luckily I healed up but how many people take that risk and don't heal up? How many don't take that risk and end up OK but evicted, in massive debt, and unemployed?

There has to be some kind of welfare, healthcare included.

Last edited:
It's atrocious that we don't at least have a public healthcare system or single payer. When I was on minimum wage, I didn't have health insurance and I busted my stomach up in an accident. I had a tennis ball sack size of fluid hanging out for a few months. I was in bad pain, I could feel the thing flopping around when I walked, and I could hardly breathe if I did anything more strenuous than walking -- and my job involved labor. I still have no idea what my injury was because I never went to the doctor. Any treatment for an injury would have put me tens of thousands of dollars in debt and any time taken off work to treat the injury would have made me homeless. So, instead I just hoped I wouldn't die and carried on like normal.

Luckily I healed up but how many people take that risk and don't heal up? How many don't take that risk and end up OK but evicted, in massive debt, and unemployed?

There has to be some kind of welfare, healthcare included.
You should have qualified for Medicaid easily

people that complain about the existence of welfare are usually just douchebags that hate their jobs.

In a civilized society it is important to have safety nets. There are plenty of people who have a real need for welfare, and i have no issue with helping those.

However, I can’t stand those who abuse the system and are just too lazy to work. In the town i grew up in, there is a chunk of the population that is now on the third welfare generation. Their grandparents didn’t work, their parents didn’t, and now they don’t. I am talking about abled body folks who would rather survive by being lazy rather than make the effort to pull themselves up. That i have a real issue with.

Critical in America where you can work a 40 hour week and still be under the poverty line. WTF

Note that you can't work 40 hours a week and be under the poverty line in America as an individual. You can if you have dependents. That goes back to my point about non-earners.

Note that you can't work 40 hours a week and be under the poverty line in America as an individual. You can if you have dependents. That goes back to my point about non-earners.
What about as a waitress where you rely on tips

Everything the government does should incentivize behavior that is beneficial to society. Yes we should have a safety net. ..but it should be set up to incentivize people to better themselves and get off of it asap.

Disabled vet here, without my benefits i would be broke and destitute. Afghanistan was a mind fuck, and the amount of money wasted on that place is a crime, but thats another story. Having a safety net for people such as myself and others is necessary to keep people off the streets. There shouldn’t be homeless vets let alone homeless people in the good ole USA.

Yeah, about that...

"The national drug use rate is 9.4 percent. In these states, however, the rate of positive drug tests to total welfare applicants ranges from 0.002 percent to 8.3 percent, but all except one have a rate below 1 percent."

https://thinkprogress.org/what-7-st...drug-testing-welfare-recipients-c346e0b4305d/
not to chip at your point, but

aint no god damn way only 48 people there smoked weed

0xGfg3XeagQIBJaLf-1.png

In Canada people generally don't feel too cheated because they personally benefit or their family benefits from what their taxes go toward e.g. single-payer, cheap education for their children, affordable daycare, good social security for seniors, various credits and subsidies, etc. Welfare is only one element among it. If you implement welfare but you don't implement the other services that benefit the middle-class, then of course people will become resentful.

On the one hand, maybe everyone should deserve a roof over their heads, medical care, and 3 square meals.

On the other hand, some people work 10-12 hours a day and have no free time. It's got to feel really shitty to work your life away only to have to pay checks to someone who works 0 hours a day and drinks all day.

What do you think?
There's all kinds of 'welfare'. The Right only focuses on poor individuals getting government money, while generally ignoring farm subsidies and corporate welfare.

Personal responsibility is something the liberal mind can’t comprehend.

If you’re of sound mind and body, the only thing your getting from me is bootstraps.
So you are opposed to farm subsidies and corporate welfare also?

Just pulling your chain mostly. I do think food security is a national security interest. Shit gets abused though like the soybean farmers recently.

"Subsidies act like a regressive tax that helps high-income businesses, not poor rural farmers. Most of the money goes toward large agribusinesses. Between 1995 and 2017, the top 10%of recipients received 77% of the $205.4 billion doled out. The top 1% received 26% of the payments. That averages out to $1.7 million per company. Fifty people on the Forbes 400 list of the wealthiest Americans received farm subsidies. On the other hand, 62% of U.S. farms did not receive any subsidies."
I think the term corporate welfare is quite apt in the case of that top 10%.

Ah, the weekly "If you're poor it's your own fault" thread. Same bullshit every time. Same weak defense of greedy rich people, same blindness to economic reality.
Critical in America where you can work a 40 hour week and still be under the poverty line. WTF
Meanwhile rich people suck companies dry, throw everyone out of work, and then collect tax breaks on their "loss". Just an awesome country all round.
Yeah, 100 million.

^ Haymes, Stephen N. (2015). Routledge Handbook of Poverty in the United States. London and New York: Routledge. p. 7.
Many around here have trouble grasping the concept of working poor or admitting such a thing exists. I think it's because if they did, they'd have to also admit that people on welfare are more likely to make working poor of themselves than continue to collect welfare if given the opportunity.

Almost everyone I know who has ever collected any kind of assistance waited until they were absolutely desperate for help to apply rather than try as soon as their need became evident. In other words, the average person on assistance doesn't want to be there and doesn't remain there any longer than necessary. People who complain about welfare are blind to the larger issue of rich people not paying their share of taxes (because it's usually them).

You should be given a total of 3 months of welfare then if you haven’t been successful in finding a job after the 3 months then you and your family should be shot or given lethal injection.

When automation takes over 30-50% of American jobs, you're going to wish you had that welfare.

yangandrewtwo_06272018getty.jpg

Back