Movies What do you make of MCU's resume?

I think a lot of movies struggle to capture the quality of their source material. You hear it all the time how the books were so much better than the resulting movies.

I give a lot of credit to MCU for creating the coherent story lines over dozens of movies and different characters. And they were able to capture the attention of new audiences, casuals, without alienating comic book fans.

For me that's been a very impressive feat, and will be very hard to replicate.

Look at the mess DC is creating, they arguably have better source material and the movies are garbage in comparison.

DC films aren't garbage as such, it's the cinematography, style and director chosen that doesn't lend well to the genre, story lines aren't really the problem.

I think it's oversaturated now. It's getting to the point of being ridiculous. But people will still come in droves to watch these films. And that's all that matters.

Yeah never thought I'd have a Disney+ as a grown ass man, but the marvel content alone makes it worth it.

Just how old are you ? You sound immature.

I also have Disney+ for the Marvel stuff . I'm 49.

They're generally fun, mindless entertainment and that's when they're at their best. I didn't care for the bloated, 3 hour plus Infinity and End Game. Just not very fun. However I saw Venom 2 the other day and really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed Infinity War. I've watched that movie so man times it's pathetic. End Game was bad and other than the end I can't stand rewatching that movie.

I really enjoyed Infinity War. I've watched that movie so man times it's pathetic. End Game was bad and other than the end I can't stand rewatching that movie.

I def liked IW more than the endless End Game but I much prefer Ragnarok, Guardians and the earlier stuff like Iron Man. In general, I prefer there to be less characters because it becomes too messy in those big crossovers.

I would say probably the biggest thing they have going for them is Feige running Marvel, someone who does care about the source material and whilst not a director himself does have some artistic vision for the series. You look at the DC films and then reek of talentless hollywood suits calling the shots, trying to jump on band wagons and hiring over the hill "names".

MCU has done 25 movies now without a single critical or commercial miss. it is absolutely fucking incredible. It is just not the source material, either. X-Men are widely popular comics and they have put out at least 3 failures. DCU has been all over the place, both in box office and with critics

MCU has massively changed the entire movie industry, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. beyond the sheer gravity that these tent pole type movies have on other releases, we live in an era where every notable actor and director is almost expected to do a MCU, DCU or Star Wars film at some point.

the MCU was by no means inevitable (not a Thanos joke). Iron Man was considered a risky movie with a risky star. IMO - if Downey had not nailed that role, we would not have the current MCU today.

I loved comic books as a kid. I had zero interest in the campy Tim Burton Batman movies in the 90's (and the Superman movies were very dated for my gen). X-Men was the first superhero movie that made me feel like I was watching a comic book. MCU took that seed and expanded it into an entire universe of movies.

I am really curious about the next chapter for the MCU. I definitely feel "superhero movie fatigue". Black Widow and Shang-Chi were perfectly competent movies that left me a little bored (I know I am the minority re Shang-Chi). The MCU formula is so good that sometimes it feels like a straitjacket

I'm impressed that they've been able to keep continuity while still being able to explore different genre's. After almost 30 movies it's hard not to have the movies all seem the same, but off the top of my head you have: Spy thrillers (Cap Winter Soldier), Teen (Spiderman), Horror (Doc strange 2), Shakesperian (Thor 1). I'm curious if and when Feige eventually leaves, will they be able to keep these movies going.

My ranking (in no particular order):

Top Tier
  • Iron Man 1
  • Cap America 2 Winter Soldier
  • Cap America 3 Civil War
  • Avengers Infinity War
  • Thor 3 Ragnarok
Really Good
  • Avengers Endgame
  • Guardians 1
  • Shang Chi (Haven't seen yet, friends have recommended highly)
  • Avengers 1
Pretty Good
  • Black Panther
  • Ant-Man
  • Doc Strange
  • Spiderman Homecoming
  • Spiderman Far from home
Not Bad
  • Thor 1
  • Cap America 1
  • Ant Man 2
  • Avengers 2 Age of Ultron
  • Guardians 2
Needs work
  • Hulk
  • Iron Man 2
  • Iron Man 3
  • Thor 2
  • Captain Marvel

I’m mildly glad that I managed to avoid watching even one of those with all this time and hype for those movies. I prefer to keep it that way.

Getting worse over time. Half the films are garbage too.

I really enjoyed the first Iron Man and think almost every single MCU film since then is overrated. Some of them grossly overrated. There's no doubt that there are a lot of really talented people involved, but they all started feeling the same. And I hate how much sway Joss Whedon's humor has had, I can't fucking stand the man and his stink has permeated the whole damn series. I've seen every entry up through Far From Home, and don't know if I'll bother watching anything else. Black Widow, Shang Chi, and the Eternals all hold zero interest to me. None. And neither do any of the Disney+ series.

They are fun movies, some are straight up bangers. Some are weak.

The Infinty War- Endgame capstone was a fucking masterpiece imo whether you like comic book movies or not.

46f77268fdc6f93e48ffce608655dd04.jpg

It's been a decade, and they’re still going strong, and making fun and well made films, and receiving good critical acclaim and box office gross.

what do you make of the entire mcu? Like them, love them, don’t care about them

Just post your thoughts

For me it is the very best run of movies ever created. Packed with action, adventure, humor, meaning, heroism, archetypal characters and mythological meaning. The character development is also wonderful to witness. I could not be happier with mcu and will watch another 20 films if they make them.

I just watched gotg again last night and laughed all the way through it. Thats my favorite of the entire run.

You left out Black Widow.

I'm impressed that they've been able to keep continuity while still being able to explore different genre's. After almost 30 movies it's hard not to have the movies all seem the same, but off the top of my head you have: Spy thrillers (Cap Winter Soldier), Teen (Spiderman), Horror (Doc strange 2), Shakesperian (Thor 1). I'm curious if and when Feige eventually leaves, will they be able to keep these movies going.

My ranking (in no particular order):

Top Tier
  • Iron Man 1
  • Cap America 2 Winter Soldier
  • Cap America 3 Civil War
  • Avengers Infinity War
  • Thor 3 Ragnarok
Really Good
  • Avengers Endgame
  • Guardians 1
  • Shang Chi (Haven't seen yet, friends have recommended highly)
  • Avengers 1
Pretty Good
  • Black Panther
  • Ant-Man
  • Doc Strange
  • Spiderman Homecoming
  • Spiderman Far from home
Not Bad
  • Thor 1
  • Cap America 1
  • Ant Man 2
  • Avengers 2 Age of Ultron
  • Guardians 2
Needs work
  • Hulk
  • Iron Man 2
  • Iron Man 3
  • Thor 2
  • Captain Marvel

I think they bend different genres around their superheroes very well.

For me it is the very best run of movies ever created. Packed with action, adventure, humor, meaning, heroism, archetypal characters and mythological meaning. The character development is also wonderful to witness. I could not be happier with mcu and will watch another 20 films if they make them.

I just watched gotg again last night and laughed all the way through it. Thats my favorite of the entire run.

It's not like it's the best run of quality like all masterpieces of cinema. But for sure; no one beats the MCU imo in terms of enterteinment, and action packed spectacle films.

The weakest thing about the films is probably the fact they’re part of a long series therefore only a few directors have creative freedom and directing is mostly serviceable.

but they excel in terms of action, sound design, characters, enterteinment etc.

I know more about cinema compared to a few years but I still own all of their films in my dvd or blu ray collection and I rewatch almost all of them.

there are only 3 or 4 that I genuinely don’t like

It's not like it's the best run of quality like all masterpieces of cinema. But for sure; no ju

beats the MCU imo in terms of enterteinment, and action packed spectacle films.

The weakest thing about the films is probably the fact they’re part of a long series therefore only a few directors have creative freedom and directing is mostly serviceable.

I know more about cinema compared to a few years but I still own all of their films in my dvd or blu ray collection and I rewatch almost all of them.

It's not like it's the best run of quality like all masterpieces of cinema. But for sure; no one beats the MCU imo in terms of enterteinment, and action packed spectacle films.

i give them much more credit and value than you do. i think they are among the best films ever made. especially in their capacity to cinematize (i made that word up) faith and joy and hope.

You say that like having good source material makes it easy. DC has no shortage of great material yet their efforts are hit and miss at best. Marvel is much more consistent in that regard.
Hollywood execs cannot resist their egos making them fuck shit up.

Back