What do you hate to get caught in?

I can't stand when I get caught in a Kimura, because it's a technique I've always had trouble with escaping. I'll roll out and still somehow be stuck in it.

Reverse triangles, they're so g-d annoying. The guys who try to put me in them never, ever finish the submission, but it's hard as hell to escape from, so they just hold me there and waste my training time.

Ditto. Verbatim.

triangles and ezekiels cuz they're my moves!!! lol
loop chokes cuz i barely understand most of them, so i'm terrified of them on a whole.

Ditto. Verbatim.

Yeah I thought my reverse triangle hate would resonate with someone out there. Next time someone tries to put me in one, my counter is going to be knee-on-face.

We had a guy who was a ex lifter, trained bjj a ton his first year, made blue in six months. He always reminded me of frank mirs evaluation of his own game. "I may not be the best positional guy, but if I get ahold of something you aren't getting it back". The quote is something like that.

He caught me in several random moves that bothered me because a normal human just couldn't do what he was able to. The first thing to come to mind is he arm triangled me from bottom halfguard. No huge deal, but he didn't actually choke me, I defended the choke but tapped because my mouth and nose were covered by his shoulder muscle.

Another time I defended his guillotine attempt by breaking his grip,but he kept choking me with just the one arm.

Both of those subs bothered me a lot because I felt like technique failed me against superior strength.

Reverse triangles, they're so g-d annoying. The guys who try to put me in them never, ever finish the submission, but it's hard as hell to escape from, so they just hold me there and waste my training time.

I thought the same thing the first couple times I got cought in it, I was thinking why wont this guy let me go this isnt doing anything..... Then I found myself catching a few people in it and not being able to finish.
But recently I found a way to make it work, Ive only used it in practice and Im about to see how it works against a resistant opponent soon!

Basically what you do is take the free arm (that isnt between your legs) and bring it together with the same side leg of the opponent then sweep them so your in the reverse triangle ontop. So far when i do it in practice I can finish guys with it. But if you cant finish it that free arm is just dangling around helplessly for you to do what you want with it.

Either way in practice Ill either ask the person if its tight or if Im doing something wrong if I cant finish a choke. Theres no point in hanging onto a choke for more than 20 seconds in practice.

I love the reverse triangle, to finish the choke, try to pull down on the head per normal triangle, but make the adjustment of having your forearm against the head on the closed side of the triangle. This pulls their neck into their own shoulder for the choke. The other option is to attack the free arm in a variety of ways.

I love the reverse triangle, to finish the choke, try to pull down on the head per normal triangle, but make the adjustment of having your forearm against the head on the closed side of the triangle. This pulls their neck into their own shoulder for the choke. The other option is to attack the free arm in a variety of ways.

any lapel choke.

I love them lapel chokes. Only ever got ONE. EVER. From mount. But right when I sunk it in the bell rang but it was pretty satisfying nonetheless.
For me... Goddamn Mounted Triangles.
Been getting caught in them recently. It's not so much the choke though. Most of the time they don't stuff my left arm (an arm which had it's elbow joint pop to an armbar, again by some n00b cranking on it in the under over position standing, and again by an americana from BOTTOM side mount <--- by this time my elbow joint was so fragile and sensitive that I just said "F**K he's got my bad arm. this hurts. No way I'm going to get injured this close to a competi-- OW FUCK. TAP TAP TAP.")
and it essentially gets crushed and my busted elbow starts hurting a lot to the point where I HAVE TO TAP

I really hate getting cross choked from inside someones guard. It's not so much that it is uncomfortable, as I tend to feel a bit stupid for getting caught in it.
When I once in a while catch the reverse triangle, I never know how to finish it, leading me to let it go out of pure embarrasment after 20-30 seconds or so.

Kimura from guard or half guard...

Just because I feel so god damn stupid for letting myself get caught! I don't know why, but I just feel like if I get caught in a kimura from the bottom it is so much my fault, moreso than any other submissions.

any arm triangles, they drige me insane because in my experience you pretty well have to wait for them to let up, especially from side mount against much bigger guys who just say "your arm is going here" and put it there then squeeze like fuck for 3 minutes

Almost every bottom submission, but mostly kimura from half and omoplata, especially the first.

footlocks, they feel so alien to me after many years of judo "rolling".

Guillotine, I get caught in them so much over here lol
And triangles

This is usually my first option with a reverse triangle. If it's a good choke, I'll get the tap before I can lock up the other arm. But if it's not a good choke, I have plenty of time to work for that other arm. I love the control aspect of the hold.

Back