What do boxing fans think about His Excellency Turki Al Sheikh

Credit for the KD and credit for the fact that Fury simply looked crap. He had no response. I think most of us here clearly saw Fury at least outpacing him but 1 in 3 people will form an opinion around the most easily translated, excitable and understandable material presented to them. This applies to boxing judges too.
Ngannou won a few rounds and had that 10-8 round. If you look at the media scores from around the web the most common score was 96-93 Fury (7 rounds to 3). This includes MMA sites that did RBR scoring like MMA Mania and MMA Fighting.

Ngannou won a few rounds and had that 10-8 round. If you look at the media scores from around the web the most common score was 96-93 Fury (7 rounds to 3). This includes MMA sites that did RBR scoring like MMA Mania and MMA Fighting.
every time I read your posts I don't know if you're being antagonistic, agreeing or translating

It's bad. makes the sport seem shallow and all about the money. If only we could go back to the Mayweather era when it was all about the love of the sport and not money. boxing has become a sport that's all about people fighting for a prize. This prizefightng has to stop.

Very good ha ha. Well I'm pretty happy with the Saudi cards i'm seeing as a fan, and sounds like they'll make Bivol v Beterbiev happen which is going to be great.

So cringe everytime a grown man from a civilized country calls him "His Excellency".

I think it's great he hasn't yet but seems to be trying to bring the fights together people want to see.

As I wrote in my post I'm tired of the whole boxing vs MMA spectacle. I agree it was a disrespectful thing to say but Turki is the one writing his check. You think this means it'll be rigged? I was actually surprised that the cards were as close as they were for Fury vs Ngannou. If anything Ngannou got more credit than he deserved. Not less.
There is not boxing vs MMA spectacle really. How often do we see MMA fighters boxing boxers, other thank Jake Paul who doesn't really represent the sport of boxing. Also when one guy comes in and performs the way Francis did you can't really bash him and say he doesn't belong, otherwise fury should have washed him if that was the case. Look at Joshua's face when he sees ngannou, he knows he's up against a real threat

So cringe everytime a grown man from a civilized country calls him "His Excellency".
Francis is the only one who doesn't try to lick his balls from what I see. He just calls him brother, that's another thing I like about him. Especially after that disrespectful shit he said to Francis at the press conference

There is not boxing vs MMA spectacle really. How often do we see MMA fighters boxing boxers, other thank Jake Paul who doesn't really represent the sport of boxing. Also when one guy comes in and performs the way Francis did you can't really bash him and say he doesn't belong, otherwise fury should have washed him if that was the case. Look at Joshua's face when he sees ngannou, he knows he's up against a real threat
I'm sure other regs here would agree that it'd be nice to get the heavyweight division back to normal again. Fury vs Usyk is a step in the right direction. We waited over 20 years for an undisputed fight. Now we're finally getting it. Joshua's face looks fine around Ngannou. He just realizes the stakes involved. This is a must win fight for him. Ngannou is expected to lose which was also the case when he fought Fury so really he has little to no pressure.

I'm sure other regs here would agree that it'd be nice to get the heavyweight division back to normal again. Fury vs Usyk is a step in the right direction. We waited over 20 years for an undisputed fight. Now we're finally getting it. Joshua's face looks fine around Ngannou. He just realizes the stakes involved. This is a must win fight for him. Ngannou is expected to lose which was also the case when he fought Fury so really he has little to no pressure.
I just don't see a reason to be upset about an extremely talented tough guy arriving to heavyweight boxing, a division that has been so thin on talent for decades now. I think guys are just concerned about people saying that boxing is being exposed or whatever because an MMA fighter was able to do what ngannou did, even if they won't admit it. But it is what it is, something like this would only happen at hw where the skill and talent level is quite low and we can get huge disparities in size and strength

I just don't see a reason to be upset about an extremely talented tough guy arriving to heavyweight boxing, a division that has been so thin on talent for decades now. I think guys are just concerned about people saying that boxing is being exposed or whatever because an MMA fighter was able to do what ngannou did, even if they won't admit it. But it is what it is, something like this would only happen at hw where the skill and talent level is quite low and we can get huge disparities in size and strength
Nobody is upset. Not everyone likes spectacles. I said the same about May-Mac. So did the other regs around this place. Freakshow fights aren't my thing. Everyone here gave Ngannou credit even though he lost. It was the opposite reaction of when Mercer knocked out Sylvia in 9 seconds. That was written off as a fluke by MMA fans. I was a hardcore MMA fan back then so I followed the scene very closely.

Nobody is upset. Not everyone likes spectacles. I said the same about May-Mac. So did the other regs around this place. Freakshow fights aren't my thing. Everyone here gave Ngannou credit even though he lost. It was the opposite reaction of when Mercer knocked out Sylvia in 9 seconds. That was written off as a fluke by MMA fans. I was a hardcore MMA fan back then so I followed the scene very closely.
You can't just say it's a fluke like mercer because they went 10 hard rounds, it wasn't some minute long fight with 4 oz gloves that could have been avoided by not making one tactical error

You can't just say it's a fluke like mercer because they went 10 hard rounds, it wasn't some minute long fight with 4 oz gloves that could have been avoided by not making one tactical error
Sylvia was always going to get knocked out if he stood with Mercer. That's not a fluke yet some of you MMA fans still pretend like it was. He got hit by a former world champion boxer that can crack. It's no more of a "fluke" than McGregor icing Aldo in 13 seconds.

Imagine if he put his money behind establishing a decent amateur program in KSA.

Strong amateur program<<<<<<<<<Olympic success<<<<<<<<professioanl success

Sylvia was always going to get knocked out if he stood with Mercer. That's not a fluke yet some of you MMA fans still pretend like it was. He got hit by a former world champion boxer that can crack. It's no more of a "fluke" than McGregor icing Aldo in 13 seconds.
Im not even saying that fight was a fluke, and have never defended Tim Sylvia from that knockout in my life. I don't even like Tim Sylvia, I think he sucks and ray Mercer was a way better fighter than he ever was. I think in that particular fight Ray exposed some things about MMA champs, especially at hw, but ngannou also did something similar and probably more substantial against Fury

Im not even saying that fight was a fluke, and have never defended Tim Sylvia from that knockout in my life. I don't even like Tim Sylvia, I think he sucks and ray Mercer was a way better fighter than he ever was. I think in that particular fight Ray exposed some things about MMA champs, especially at hw, but ngannou also did something similar and probably more substantial against Fury
What Ngannou did against Fury was special but he did lose that fight. Mercer actually won (admittedly against a fighter much lesser than Fury in quality). Ngannou's performance far exceeded expectations. That's what I wrote after the fight. In the end it's just a moral victory though. Isn't it? I've never believed in participation trophies.

What Ngannou did against Fury was special but he did lose that fight. Mercer actually won (admittedly against a fighter much lesser than Fury in quality). Ngannou's performance far exceeded expectations. That's what I wrote after the fight. In the end it's just a moral victory though. Isn't it? I've never believed in participation trophies.
The narrative matters more than scorecards when there is no belt on the line. If enough people thought you won, it can be just as good as a win in term of career progression.

The narrative matters more than scorecards when there is no belt on the line. If enough people thought you won, it can be just as good as a win in term of career progression.
No 10 round non-championship fight will ever be as important as a 12 round championship fight. The majority of people that thought Ngannou won were diehard MMA fans that don't know how to score boxing matches. I ignore fan scoring completely on both sides of the fence. The majority of media scores actually went to Fury and this includes MMA sites that did RBR scoring. Casuals that are new to boxing won't even know that Ngannou overperformed unless they've actually seen the fight. They'll just look up the result on BoxRec and see an L next to Ngannou's name. Ultimately that's all that matters in the end.

A participation trophy refers to getting an award just for showing up regardless of how you do. Like showing up for a tournament and everybody including last place gets a trophy. You don't use that term when you give a guy a tough fight, especially when that guy is considered number 1

Back