• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What did Dana actually do to Tony?

Probably bitter that he let conor sit on the belt in tony’s prime and regretful that he took the gaethje fight

he took the gaethje fight
Well,he also decided to make weight twice in a short amount of time...but one thing Tony cant be blamed for,is how his corner failed him that night. It cost him everything.

Well, in fairness, Tony was the interim champ for like 6+ months plus during the Conor "reign", they should've stripped Conor long before UFC 223 and promoted Tony to full champion same as they did at FW with conor's belt. Conor hadn't defended the belt in over 500+ days at that point.

Of course they did offer him the interim title fight against max, and then gave him another interim title fight against Gaethje. So, I agree that Tony got plenty of opportunities. They've given him plenty of big fights, and he has another one coming up on Saturday.
Yeah, Conor and the UFC fucked the whole thing up. No arguments there. But apart from that I don’t think the UFC fucked over Tony. The guy has had some shitty luck and made equally bad decisions.

Dana has become the scapegoat for Khabib's bullshit.

The lengths to which Khabib went to get out of weighing in at UFC 209 (because he knew he was going to miss weight and be ineligible for the title) was true cowardice. Less than 4 hours before weigh-ins, he scurried off to a random ER, without telling anybody at the UFC. The doctors at that hospital determined that there was nothing wrong with Khabib, he was simply dehydrated and was discharged within hours. He intentionally avoided the UFC's medical team because he didn't want to fight while being ineligible to win the title.

Ahead of UFC 249, when international borders began to close due to the pandemic, Khabib was in California, just like Tony. Knowing that borders were closing around the world, Khabib inconceivably hopped on a flight to Dubai before a location for the fight was determined. Had Khabib simply stayed where he was, instead of fleeing and stranding himself, he could have fought Tony at UFC 249 only 3 weeks later.

Tony trippin. Lol Dana loves Mexicans, hes a hardcore Boxing fan. Dana knows they have alot of heart and produce alot of good fighters.

Dana is actively trying to open a P.I in Mexico thats how much he values them.

I'm not saying this is the case, but you can be racist against a group AND want to comodify them. Trying to make money hardly precludes racism.

Dana is racist against Mexicans, according to Tony
Maybe that is true, but it doesn't affect how he treats Mexicans in the UFC. He always tries to push Mexicans to try and get some of the Mexican fight fans from Boxing to watch the UFC.

Im not sure sure he would have won,but Khabib got too good by the time they would have fought before the pandemic. The best chance for Tony to get Khabib would have been to fight him before his comeback in 2016 or just right after that. By the time he got to Conor Mcgregor,Javier had fixed whatever remained of his defense striking. After that he was basically an unstoppable forward moving juggernaut.
Thats basicly what im saying, with obviously less words.

Considering the fight with Khabib was for the undisputed title, it only made sense that the interim belt Tony had would become moot. It’s just that unfortunately Tony never made it to the fight. It’s a shame, but I don’t see how he was in any way mistreated. Then he was offered 2 more interim fights after that as well. As well as another full title fight.

Again it’s unfortunate but shit happened (Covid), and then Tony once again sabotaged himself with an unnecessary weight cut. As far as I can tell he’s actually been given many opportunities, but failed to capitalize on them.

But when things go wrong a lot of people look for someone or something to blame.
I think that one of the issues is exactly this. Been offered 3 times an interim belt.
Once, it is ok. Twice? Very rara, but 3 times? Sorry, Interim belts are not supposed to be used like that.

And the UFC is at fault in how they perceive the Interim belt and the interim champion.
SOmetimes, they offer as a marketing tool (i.e. to Conor).
Other times, they give to the interim champion, but then let him sit for a full year, instead of "defending the belt" like a champion (interim or not) should do (i.e. Condit).
Other times, it is just to spite the champ (i.e. Ngannou).

Getting the Interim belt should mean something. But taking away without hi getting a chance to fight for the belt like they did to Tony (just because they wanted Khabib to have it)... that is what pisses Tony off most probably.

But IMHO the UFC is mishandling the Interim belt and it's meaning loses its intended value.

Probably nothing, its Tony!! he is psychotic. but makes it fun to watch him fight!

That one was a bit of a different situation. Even before Tony's injury they were promoting the fight saying all belts were vacant when the cage door closed that weekend, the winner would be undisputed champ and would face Conor. Just real bad luck Tony had his freak injury at that time.

But then they circled back just to make another interim with Dustin and Holloway. Then they circled back AGAIN to make a fourth belt with Justin G v Tony(who took the fight this time.

The fighters need a voice to support them from unpleasant practices done by the UFC. Tony, with his history and who is an all-around extremely negative and unpleasant person himself... is not the best guy to be that voice.

The guy cannot go a single interview without insulting whoever is interviewing him along with multiple fighters. Not a single shred of an "act" either, just purely an unpleasant personality.

But then they circled back just to make another interim with Dustin and Holloway. Then they circled back AGAIN to make a fourth belt with Justin G v Tony(who took the fight this time.
They originally wanted Max v Tony didn't they? That was in the period when his wife took out the restraining order. He knocked back the Max fight and then took a fight with Cowboy not long after.

Tony is going to be the Diego Sanchez of his generation

They originally wanted Max v Tony didn't they? That was in the period when his wife took out the restraining order. He knocked back the Max fight and then took a fight with Cowboy not long after.

This was after they stripped him. He should have taken the fight but from his perspective he'd already won the interim belt. He had a big ass streak that locked in his status to a degree. In that regard making his streak more historic by beating lower ranked opponents made sense. Meant he wouldn't lose and the fans would keep pressuring Dana to give him a title shot.

A lot of things didn't go Tony's way just bringing up the title stripping was the main one that was Dana's fault as opposed to just bad luck.

As with most things it about money with the UFC. This is from 2017 when Tony was supposed to fight Khabib but Khabib went to the hospital with weight cutting issues.

"Tony Ferguson was not paid his full UFC 209 show money, as many believed, and he’s not happy about it.

“I think they should take care of their fighters a little bit more, the ones that really put in their time and effort and really grind for them, because I’m one of those dudes, man,” Ferguson said in an interview with MMAjunkie on Tuesday. “I’m one of those grinders, and I’ve never bashed my company.”

Had the fight with Nurmagomedov taken place, Ferguson was contracted to be paid $250,000 to show and another $250,000 if he had won. The UFC apparently didn’t want to pay him that to fight Johnson. When neither fight happened, Ferguson told MMAJunkie that he was paid less than half of his show money.

An unidentified UFC official confirmed to MMAJunkie that Ferguson was paid a six-figure sum, defending the promotion’s decision not to pay him his full show money because his contracted compensation was linked to the interim title fight. The official also pointed out that the promotion still paid him despite having no obligation to do so under his bout agreement."

And then a year later when they stripped him of the interim belt, they also cut his pay:

“It’s been five months since my injury,” Ferguson said Tuesday at a media day at the UFC Performance Institute, per MMA Fighting’s Marc Raimondi. “It took a long f*cking time for me to be here. They took my belt, they took a bunch of zeroes from my pay check. How do you think I f*cking feel? It’s all fun and games, right?”

Considering the fight with Khabib was for the undisputed title, it only made sense that the interim belt Tony had would become moot. It’s just that unfortunately Tony never made it to the fight. It’s a shame, but I don’t see how he was in any way mistreated. Then he was offered 2 more interim fights after that as well. As well as another full title fight.

Again it’s unfortunate but shit happened (Covid), and then Tony once again sabotaged himself with an unnecessary weight cut. As far as I can tell he’s actually been given many opportunities, but failed to capitalize on them.

But when things go wrong a lot of people look for someone or something to blame.
Are you aware he's mentally ill and shouldn't be preparing for a fight in the first place? This time we're talking about Tony and not Dana.

Not being able to do pro wrestling or other combat sports. That's flagrantly not legal. Imagine if you're employer tried to ban you wholesale from doing improv. A court would laugh at that contract.
You’re an absolute moron. You obviously have no clue as to what you’re talking about. You clearly don’t know what a contract is.

Back