• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What did Dana actually do to Tony?

Fighters look at this from their own perspective.

From Justin Gaethje's perspective, when a champ retires, the #1 contender should fight for the title. It's a no brainer (to him, who was the #1 contender). If not, why have rankings? So he was pretty distraught when he didn't get it.

Similarly with Tony, he had a certain expectation several times in his career. One was the potential Holloway fight. He wanted it to be for a title, not the interim title. He made such a stink they went with Poirier instead. But that wasn't the only time he expected things to go a certain way, and they didn't. Ultimately he blames Dana because at the end of the day, decisions went across his desk.

I don't agree with Tony, so don't argue with me as if I'm defending him. But I'm pretty sure that's it.
He pretty clearly calls out the UFC for not letting him do other sports

Boxing, pro wrestling he mentions. Tony would be a treat for the latter.
I suppose I should just STFU about non-fighting aspects of MMA if I'm not going to watch interviews and follow twitter and shit.

Thanks for answering. Cheers.

I suppose I should just STFU about non-fighting aspects of MMA if I'm not going to watch interviews and follow twitter and shit. It's a good listen very lucid

Thanks for answering. Cheers.
I'm not sure it was in the above Clio but it's in the overall interview.

Tony was the interim champ then they took the belt away for the sake of taking it away then tried to get him to fight a winless LW for the same pretend belt.

Talk about a steaming pile of horseshit.

Tony fought like half a dozen short notice replacement fighters and they just slowrolled his ass til he got old.

Says Dana handpicked him for TUF. The khabib fight was booked and rebooked, had tony fight for inteim.
Is this just the end of the line for the mayor of snapcity? It seems he has blamed just about everything at this point. The structure of his camp, not going to his roots, his coaches, and now Dana. But did Dana actually do anything egregious to the CEO of CSO?

Google Tony's "ex" wife and where she lives now.

Pretty much forced him to take an unnecessary fight against Gaethje, Tony's team failed him too.

Considering the fight with Khabib was for the undisputed title, it only made sense that the interim belt Tony had would become moot. It’s just that unfortunately Tony never made it to the fight. It’s a shame, but I don’t see how he was in any way mistreated. Then he was offered 2 more interim fights after that as well. As well as another full title fight.

Again it’s unfortunate but shit happened (Covid), and then Tony once again sabotaged himself with an unnecessary weight cut. As far as I can tell he’s actually been given many opportunities, but failed to capitalize on them.

But when things go wrong a lot of people look for someone or something to blame.

Well, in fairness, Tony was the interim champ for like 6+ months plus during the Conor "reign", they should've stripped Conor long before UFC 223 and promoted Tony to full champion same as they did at FW with conor's belt. Conor hadn't defended the belt in over 500+ days at that point.

Of course they did offer him the interim title fight against max, and then gave him another interim title fight against Gaethje. So, I agree that Tony got plenty of opportunities. They've given him plenty of big fights, and he has another one coming up on Saturday.

Long watch but funny

The part about the jab is because Tony was getting countered trying to jab. He does better turning it into a fight and not trying to be a technical counter puncher. His boxing level isn't at that level yet trying to be technical. If he's talking about the Gaethje fight, he was getting countered hard by power shots vs Gaethje every time he tried to enter with a jab. His jabis too slow and easy to time and counter. That would explain why his boxing coach would tell him to stop throwing the jab if his jab keeps getting exploited during the fight.

Also he complains about cutting weight and how UFC prevents him from moving up, but fighters move around weight classes with no issues. I don't think UFC cares what weight class Tony fights in. He really needs this win, he's on the blame game right now. Seems like he's looking at his whole career and looking for things to blame throughout his whole career, another loss is going to be real bad for his mental state and confidence.

Not being able to do pro wrestling or other combat sports. That's flagrantly not legal. Imagine if you're employer tried to ban you wholesale from doing improv. A court would laugh at that contract.
Yeah I still can’t believe that UFC and WWE get away with claiming all of their athletes as independent contractors. If they want to employ people then sure but they should get the same protections as other employees. You’re hardly independent if you literally can’t contract anywhere else lol.

Considering the fight with Khabib was for the undisputed title, it only made sense that the interim belt Tony had would become moot. It’s just that unfortunately Tony never made it to the fight. It’s a shame, but I don’t see how he was in any way mistreated. Then he was offered 2 more interim fights after that as well. As well as another full title fight.

Again it’s unfortunate but shit happened (Covid), and then Tony once again sabotaged himself with an unnecessary weight cut. As far as I can tell he’s actually been given many opportunities, but failed to capitalize on them.

But when things go wrong a lot of people look for someone or something to blame.

This. It’s unfortunate but it is what it is.

Tony needs to take responsibility as well. Yeah the UFC may have dicked him around a bit, but he did plenty to sabotage himself too. I say this as a big Tony fan.

Yeah I still can’t believe that UFC and WWE get away with claiming all of their athletes as independent contractors. If they want to employ people then sure but they should get the same protections as other employees. You’re hardly independent if you literally can’t contract anywhere else lol.

Many people feel that way but FWIW that’s not true legally. I’ve seen plenty of contracts that say (a) can’t do X for anyone else and also (b) this does not create an employment relationship.

Also FWIW, no promoter is going to want to invest as much for a guy if they don’t have exclusivity.

Back