What can be changed to make boxing safer?

YoungCashMoney

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The health and safety of the fighters should be #1, but nothing changes time and time again when a fighter dies or gets brain damage in there.

I think realistic changes would be going to same day weigh ins to eliminate weight cutting, as well as maybe a mercy rule where a certain # of punches landed results in a tko win for the fighter that landed said punches. 200 punches landed to the head and it’s a TKO.

What are y’all suggestions? How would you change the sport to make it safer for the fighters?

A neurologist should be on scene checking a fighters eyes for concussive signs every 2 rounds I think as well, as a precaution regardless of how the fight is playing out.

completely agree with the weight cutting thing. weight cutting should be banned in all combat sports.

This road again, but weight-cutting can't be stopped. Always there in combat sports. Will be done. Day before means more time to hydrate back and get safer and get your fluids back up, including those in your head. Same day they will still cut and then go into the bout in a more dangerous position that will result in more brain injuries. Boxing is fine, but it's not a "safe" sport, then again you have auto racing and such, and I think I saw one time that horse racing is extremely dangerous to the participants. I don't know. I still favor boxing over anything. With all its warts, it is the sport of men.

This road again, but weight-cutting can't be stopped. Always there in combat sports. Will be done. Day before means more time to hydrate back and get safer and get your fluids back up, including those in your head. Same day they will still cut and then go into the bout in a more dangerous position that will result in more brain injuries. Boxing is fine, but it's not a "safe" sport, then again you have auto racing and such, and I think I saw one time that horse racing is extremely dangerous to the participants. I don't know. I still favor boxing over anything. With all its warts, it is the sport of men.

So there isn’t anything you think could be done better or changed to better the safety of the fighters?

There’s a pattern with all these fighters that get injured that we as viewers can identify, so professionals should be able to see it coming even sooner. It’s usually the same recipe

So there isn’t anything you think could be done better or changed to better the safety of the fighters?

There’s a pattern with all these fighters that get injured that we as viewers can identify, so professionals should be able to see it coming even sooner. It’s usually the same recipe

I'm OK with the doctor being a skilled neurologist (and hopefully a boxing fan) who might more know what they're looking for. I actually don't know how that works in boxing at that level. Like if any doctor will do, how that works. Are there certain ones they use and why? Just because, or are they boxing-focused? Would be a nice question to ask someone at that top level in the business,...I don't know, maybe get the thoughts of FREE @RR!!!?

Not much, because if you do it will suck and lose its appeal. It would be like watching a tight rope walker doing his thing 2 feet above the ground. No risk, no entertainment.

In the wake of recent events referees should consider more and more stopping the fight momentarily so that the Dr can assess whether or not the fighter has sustain any serious injuries, it should be mandated into their training.

We can discuss weight and weight cutting all we want but how can you monitor if a fighter is cutting correctly?

There are ways to hydrate completely without setting off any red flags, I do like the WBC’s 30 day weigh ins, its a start, @PHATV is correct, same day weigh ins would be more catastrophic.

As I said in another thread, someone in Maxim’s camp had to have noticed something days prior to the fight, McGirt did, but infortunatley was too late, and not to speak ill of the dead, but take a look at Maxim’s pics before the fight, he looked frail and of course dehydrated.

At the end of the day its the fighters decision to fight on, this was an IBF eliminator and there was no chance Maxim was going to pass on the grand opportunity.

I wouldn't change anything. Considering what it is, a fighter dying or getting seriously injured in the ring is really quite rare.
On any given week, there are literally thousands of fights taking place around the world. We see stuff like this maybe 4 or 5 times a year?
Not taking away from anyone's death but I'm not willing to rebuild the whole sport and watch pros wear headgear and 48 ounce gloves.

this site is junk today. Fucks going on?

I think realistic changes would be going to same day weigh ins to eliminate weight cutting, as well as maybe a mercy rule where a certain # of punches landed results in a tko win for the fighter that landed said punches. 200 punches landed to the head and it’s a TKO.
People would still cut weight and have less time to hydrate properly. If you're looking to end brain trauma, same day weigh ins won't help. Fighters would still cut the excess weight.

Nothing needs changing, if you dont like the sport, then dont watch it. For every life boxing has ruined, it has saved a million more.

People like you always seem to look at the negatives of boxing, and none of the positives. And then come in here appalled by the sport we love, spouting utter shite about same day weigh-ins, which has been clearly pointed out, will actually hame and kill more boxers than ever.

Dadashev was doing all right there, I understood the stoppage because that last round was one sided at the end of a long war, but I read on boxingscene someone complaining about Buddy McGirt always stopping fights early.

He was the top rank fighter and favorite so you could already smell the robbery being cooked there. Ward was even giving Dadashev several rounds (that I thought Matias won) based on his activity and movement, he probably had it 5-5 going to the 11th and some judges may have had it for Dadashev winning. He only needed to last one more round. That's how boxing works.

200 punches landed would have resulted in both these guys being TKO in less than 7 rounds I think. It was a war. Just enjoy it if you can and if you can't then... well there is always UFC where nobody has died in more than 25 years.

Not a thing. It’s a combat sport. Men are fighting each other. Sadly people get hurt and sometimes people die, these are possible any time one steps in the ring. Crazy but it true. I hope the younger cats will think twice before the call any fighter a coward or some bs like that. It’s not cowardly act standing by yourself in front of a man by who has spent much of his life learning to damage other men without a weapon.

As a side note, anytime something happens like what happened last weekend I question why I watch it. Keep coming back because I appreciate the skill and courage it takes to make it to do what they do. That may change someday. I’m becoming a pacifist as I get older.

Nothing needs changing, if you dont like the sport, then dont watch it. For every life boxing has ruined, it has saved a million more.

People like you always seem to look at the negatives of boxing, and none of the positives. And then come in here appalled by the sport we love, spouting utter shite about same day weigh-ins, which has been clearly pointed out, will actually hame and kill more boxers than ever.

People like me actually box for real, that’s how much I love the sport. There is no proof that same day weigh ins will “kill boxers more than ever”, otherwise there would be amateur deaths nonstop. People like you are why the sport doesn’t change its rules at all (not even for the safety of the fighters) and clearly has primitive ways of doing things that should be changed but isn’t for some odd reason.

If you don’t like the sport, don’t watch it... that comment there, you forget there’s some of us that actually do it here, right? It’s deeper than entertainment for people on their couch for some of us, it is that way out & that first love. This makes any fighter who participates take a look at what could be done better for our safety getting in there.

I personally overcame a serious brain injury already - that wasn’t boxing related. I know what it’s like to have that wiring damaged and what it feels like. It’s a hell I wouldn’t wish upon anybody.
Because of that, each and every shot to the head I take I do think about. Every single one of em. Am I going to stop boxing? Absolutely not, but I am going to take brain injury much more serious. Seeing something like this happen and looking for ways to improve isn’t me looking at “all the negatives” of boxing, it’s looked at one extremely serious negative and what could be done better. Possible solutions need to be thought about (that won’t change a damn thing anytime soon, granted, boxing rarely changes anything)

There is ways to make things safer for fighters, there is always ways to improve things and taking a look at ways to do that. To pretend there isn’t a way to improve anything in life is just silly. Things could have been done differently to ensure no death occurred Friday night - it just takes a bit of effort to look into what could be changed.

I think if they adjusted to 10 rounds fighters would end up trying to do more work per round, so that wouldn't be the worst thing from a safety point of view. I can see how that would be unpopular.

I've only ever seen three deaths from boxing related injuries. I'm including Gerald Mclellan in that even though he wasn't technically killed, he suffered such a severe injury worst than being paralysed from the neck down.

I did think Mclellan came into that fight with a pre existing injury, he obviously took a lot of punishment in the fight but if he had been 100% I don't think it would have been so bad. His training partners said they saw him randomly blinking heavily in sparring and he did it again in the fight.

I think having a neurologist looking for another irregularities would help a lot. A tip off from one of Mclellan's training partners about the injury would have made them incredibly unpopular in the short term in that case. The other factor is neurologist's are knowledgeable but they are not infallible, CTE is after all a fairly recent discovery.

People like me actually box for real, that’s how much I love the sport. There is no proof that same day weigh ins will “kill boxers more than ever”, otherwise there would be amateur deaths nonstop. People like you are why the sport doesn’t change its rules at all (not even for the safety of the fighters) and clearly has primitive ways of doing things that should be changed but isn’t for some odd reason.

Yup, i used to box, the biggest problem for me was making it from the toilet to the ring without cutting my feet to bits on the broken glass.

If you don’t like the sport, don’t watch it... that comment there, you forget there’s some of us that actually do it here, right? It’s deeper than entertainment for people on their couch for some of us, it is that way out & that first love. This makes any fighter who participates take a look at what could be done better for our safety getting in there.

I personally overcame a serious brain injury already - that wasn’t boxing related. I know what it’s like to have that wiring damaged and what it feels like. It’s a hell I wouldn’t wish upon anybody.
Because of that, each and every shot to the head I take I do think about. Every single one of em. Am I going to stop boxing? Absolutely not, but I am going to take brain injury much more serious. Seeing something like this happen and looking for ways to improve isn’t me looking at “all the negatives” of boxing, it’s looked at one extremely serious negative and what could be done better. Possible solutions need to be thought about (that won’t change a damn thing anytime soon, granted, boxing rarely changes anything)

Again, are you going to some sort of Boxercise class that has light sparring, or an actual proper club?

There is no way in the world any serious boxing gym of any sort would accept anyone to go near sparring if they declared a brain injury, my son had to stop boxing the second he was diagnosed with Epilepsy....

It sounds like you are some do gooder who is involved in some "boxing" club that is more for fitness, than actually producing proper fighters.

And if you want to be safe, go and do fucking pilates or something...you are fucking punching someone in the face/head/body, who is trying to do the same to you.....to render you unable to continue, or convince judges you won the fight.

What next, you are going to ask for a break when someone hits you a little bit harder than you really want to be hit?

We get it, you dont like boxing or people being in the hurt boxing, stop fucknig posting shit about changing a sport that has not needed to be changed since they reduced fights to 12 rounds.

Sadly, no obvious change seems like a good idea.

In the wake of recent events referees should consider more and more stopping the fight momentarily so that the Dr can assess whether or not the fighter has sustain any serious injuries, it should be mandated into their training.

We can discuss weight and weight cutting all we want but how can you monitor if a fighter is cutting correctly?

There are ways to hydrate completely without setting off any red flags, I do like the WBC’s 30 day weigh ins, its a start, @PHATV is correct, same day weigh ins would be more catastrophic.

As I said in another thread, someone in Maxim’s camp had to have noticed something days prior to the fight, McGirt did, but infortunatley was too late, and not to speak ill of the dead, but take a look at Maxim’s pics before the fight, he looked frail and of course dehydrated.

At the end of the day its the fighters decision to fight on, this was an IBF eliminator and there was no chance Maxim was going to pass on the grand opportunity.
They should do urinalysis to prevent extreme weightcuts. @YoungCashMoney
Check out this thread

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...d-in-the-healthiest-direction.3135857/page-11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back