What can be changed to make boxing safer?

The goal of the sport is to cause brain trauma. Its like signing up for wing suit gliding or joining the army, you go into it understanding the risk is high.

Yup, i used to box, the biggest problem for me was making it from the toilet to the ring without cutting my feet to bits on the broken glass.

Again, are you going to some sort of Boxercise class that has light sparring, or an actual proper club?

There is no way in the world any serious boxing gym of any sort would accept anyone to go near sparring if they declared a brain injury, my son had to stop boxing the second he was diagnosed with Epilepsy....

It sounds like you are some do gooder who is involved in some "boxing" club that is more for fitness, than actually producing proper fighters.

And if you want to be safe, go and do fucking pilates or something...you are fucking punching someone in the face/head/body, who is trying to do the same to you.....to render you unable to continue, or convince judges you won the fight.

What next, you are going to ask for a break when someone hits you a little bit harder than you really want to be hit?

We get it, you dont like boxing or people being in the hurt boxing, stop fucknig posting shit about changing a sport that has not needed to be changed since they reduced fights to 12 rounds.

He's competed; used to (might still) train with Floyd Sr.

He's competed; used to (might still) train with Floyd Sr.

With a known brain injury or complication?

That isnt boxingfs fault, that is shitty people allowing him to compete/spar with injuries

With a known brain injury or complication?

That isnt boxingfs fault, that is shitty people allowing him to compete/spar with injuries

You’re free to move the goalpost wherever you’d like. Just letting you know this “just shit talk his experience” tactic will backfire.

Also YCM never said he sparred with a brain injury. He said he overcame an injury and thinks about it now in the ring. Could’ve been a concussion - something that doesn’t immediately end your boxing career. Nothing worth getting worked up about.

Yup, i used to box, the biggest problem for me was making it from the toilet to the ring without cutting my feet to bits on the broken glass.

Again, are you going to some sort of Boxercise class that has light sparring, or an actual proper club?

There is no way in the world any serious boxing gym of any sort would accept anyone to go near sparring if they declared a brain injury, my son had to stop boxing the second he was diagnosed with Epilepsy....

It sounds like you are some do gooder who is involved in some "boxing" club that is more for fitness, than actually producing proper fighters.

And if you want to be safe, go and do fucking pilates or something...you are fucking punching someone in the face/head/body, who is trying to do the same to you.....to render you unable to continue, or convince judges you won the fight.

What next, you are going to ask for a break when someone hits you a little bit harder than you really want to be hit?

We get it, you dont like boxing or people being in the hurt boxing, stop fucknig posting shit about changing a sport that has not needed to be changed since they reduced fights to 12 rounds.

No, I wasn’t in a boxcercise club, I was raised in the doghouse of the mayweather boxing club under Floyd Mayweather Sr., and still am to this second, where giving out concussions was a regular thing. I had a brain tumor that was very rare and has been handled, so it is no longer a risk to myself in the ring, but going through what I went through opened my eyes a bit to how it actually feels to have a brain injury, and while I survived that and am past it, I do think about it and my health daily. I love boxing and fell in love with boxing from an early age, and people like you assuming about others ie; “i want a break from getting hit too hard” are the ones who really ain’t bout it. Ur doing a lot of assuming about the mental toughness of somebody who u better pray to god u don’t go through a fraction of what I went through, and if u have already u should have a lot more humbleness involving this subject and assuming about others.

I’m not going to engage in no disrespectful flame talk.

I think things can be done to make the sport safer, and no fighter should be dying in the ring regardless of their own mental toughness. That’s my stance on it.

Myself, I accept the risks of the sport, of course we go in there to damage our opponent into not being able to continue. However, from a humane standpoint, there’s precautions that could be done to limit how often a serious injury occurs.

If nothing changes it doesn’t mean I’m going to stop doing it, I accepted it for how it is from day one, but whenever u do see a fighter go through something like what max did, it begs the question of : can something be done to make this not happen again without damaging the spectacle of our favorite sport.

What do they say about people who talk tough on the internet, this thread is a great example.

Shot in the dark but maybe change the gloves. Back when guys fought in 4-6 oz leather mittens you couldn't spend an entire fight wailing on each other with reckless abandon the way you can now. It's an imperfect solution but it would reduce the overall volume of punches thrown and damage sustained over the course of a fight and would also probably decrease the individual force of each punch since you won't be so eager to lay down the hammer if you're not sure your fist will survive the ordeal.

Oversight based ideas are always tricky. The issue with stuff like that is a lot of times guys are outwardly fine right up until the moment they aren't and some guys can shrug off or sustain a beating that might be fatal for another fighter; Dadashev clearly took a lot of damage, but we've seen fighters take worse beatings without apparent long term effects. Makes applying blanket, situational rules a real crapshoot.

Just a question-if you were a trainer/doctor/referee and could stop a fight the moment you know a fighter suffered a concussion, would you? Or would you let the fighter continue to suffer more brain injury? What if the winner were determined by the scorecards before the injury?

Just a question-if you were a trainer/doctor/referee and could stop a fight the moment you know a fighter suffered a concussion, would you? Or would you let the fighter continue to suffer more brain injury? What if the winner were determined by the scorecards before the injury?

Depends on the severity, I’m not a trained doctor so idk the signs but I’m sure there’s a way to tell if someone is damaged badly, it’s real tough to figure out where that point is. If there is a very enhanced risk of brain injury due to an injury sustained in the ring already that can be seen and proven without a shadow of a doubt, then yeah I’d stop it

It's meant to be dangerous. Try curling instead.

The health and safety of the fighters should be #1, but nothing changes time and time again when a fighter dies or gets brain damage in there.

I think realistic changes would be going to same day weigh ins to eliminate weight cutting, as well as maybe a mercy rule where a certain # of punches landed results in a tko win for the fighter that landed said punches. 200 punches landed to the head and it’s a TKO.

What are y’all suggestions? How would you change the sport to make it safer for the fighters?

A neurologist should be on scene checking a fighters eyes for concussive signs every 2 rounds I think as well, as a precaution regardless of how the fight is playing out.

You don't need a neurologist to check someone's pupils...there isn't a whole lot you can garner from someone's pupils. A basic EMT (3 week course) can tell that. There are already physicians there ringside who provide a more in depth assessment for that. I agree with the weight cutting shit though

Maybe introduce as mandatory following procedure ; before next round as mandatory requirement to rise both hands to shoulders level and fully extend both hands? This as possible additional check up sometimes is done in european KB, especially when they are ammies and young guys.
Sorry, if one is debilitated to some extent, he not rarerly doesn't knows his inabilitiy to continue proper fight.
Okey, to check pupils and eye movement is able any person after courses but...
Nice is to see in ring guys who are able to at least normally move and resist.

Mandatory VADA for all fighters in and out of camp. You fail you get one year and a huge fine. You fail again you are out of the sport and the fine is even bigger.

You really don't know who anyone is here do you.

I remember when RR got banned you claimed you never heard of him.
You've had an account since 2001 and you don't know the guy who manages some of the people we talk about and then get mad at one of the fighters who works with Mayweather Sr.
@YoungCashMoney has talked about Senior before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back