what belt do U wear at a new school?

VampireMonk

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
this is something for you guys who travel or may move.
mainly for BJJ guys, but also Judo guys.
but if your a wrestler, when the instructor asks you, if you
have had previous training and how long, what do you say?
you know I'm division 1 wrestler, I'm NCAA contendor?

when you go into a new school the first day, do you ask the
instructor if you can wear your blue or purple belt???

is it bad to just wear your white belt when your not?

I just wear my blue belt wherever I go. I trained and earned the right to wear it so I'm gonna wear it. Also if you walk in with a white belt and then own all other white belts/blue belts, you'd probably piss more people off than if you go in with the belt that you have earned.

thank you for your reply super beast, its my 1st thread!!!

yeah I know what u mean, but I wouldnt just OWN them all even if I could.
and I understand if the instructor is like, that doesn't count here.

Like if I went to local college for 3.5 years honor roll, and then transferred to
Harvard and graduated there in 6 months, on my resume it's gonna say Harvard graduate,
isn't that kind of bad??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

i've only been to the one i'm at now

but we had a visitor for a good 3 months and he always starts with his white belt and will change it at the next class if it's fitting he do so.

as he said

"theres nothing worse than showing up in a black belt(karate belt) and having all the blues(bjj) kick your ass."

VampireMonk said:
thank you for your reply super beast, its my 1st thread!!!

yeah I know what u mean, but I wouldnt just OWN them all even if I could.
and I understand if the instructor is like, that doesn't count here.

Like if I went to local college for 3.5 years honor roll, and then transferred to
Harvard and graduated there in 6 months, on my resume it's gonna say Harvard graduate,
isn't that kind of bad???
In that particular case, it is a GOOD thing! It means that what you learned at a local college was enough to graduate from Harvard anyway. If the shoe fits... wear it.

SteelTwo said:
"theres nothing worse than showing up in a black belt(karate belt) and having all the blues(bjj) kick your ass."
That's true too.

if the shoe fits wear it?

very interesting. must be a western concept.
must be very careful with this way of thinking because it can be very easily misunderstood
and be abused.

when in doubt stick with the safer eastern thoughts of being more timid, observant.

in brazil, always ask the instructor beforehand.

I talked with my instructor before hand. I didn't get my blue from a black belt, and I was rusty (having moved and had a training lay-off due to surgery) All I had was a blue belt, but I would have left it off or worn a white he had there if he told me to. He said "Belts don't matter, man. You're good."

It took a couple months for me to get comfortable with it. I kept thinking "I should really buy a white belt..." until I started getting back in shape and tapping a couple of the blues and consistently beating the best whites.

That said, if my blue was in Sambo, Judo, or TKD, why would I wear it to a BJJ class? I wouldn't even wear a TKD gi to the class... I had to borrow my brother's pants one night, and they tore like tissue during a guard pass drill.

dont wear a judo belt to bjj, dont wear a karate belt to bjj, dont wear a tkd belt to bjj, etc..

wear your bjj belt to bjj, even if it's a different bjj school/gym. royce or royler (whomever is in town) do promotions at my school so when i get a belt, i'll wear it at any bjj place.

Fight_Song said:
dont wear a judo belt to bjj, dont wear a karate belt to bjj, dont wear a tkd belt to bjj, etc..

wear your bjj belt to bjj, even if it's a different bjj school/gym. royce or royler (whomever is in town) do promotions at my school so when i get a belt, i'll wear it at any bjj place.

And that makes sense. I just know that a lot of guys have caught shit on here or shared stories of guys coming to their schools and getting embarassed because they got their blue at a seminar or something, and they're not on the level of other blues. Understandable if you regularly roll with a buddy in your garage, get the belt, then try to roll at a school with a high level instructor.

like it was said, were your bjj belt to bjj, you probably earned so...
if you hold no rank in bjj but you're have grappling experience it would be nice to let the instructor know, like "can i do your class, i trained wrestling/judo and would like to try some bjj".

You wear your BJJ rank to every BJJ school.

Why would you put on a white belt if you are not a white belt? That is weird and basically sandbagging.

If you're a bit behind your peers at your school, it might just take a little longer for you to get your next promotion. There is no reason to start wearing a white belt again if you have already been promoted.

stephensharp said:
And that makes sense. I just know that a lot of guys have caught shit on here or shared stories of guys coming to their schools and getting embarassed because they got their blue at a seminar or something, and they're not on the level of other blues. Understandable if you regularly roll with a buddy in your garage, get the belt, then try to roll at a school with a high level instructor.

How the hell do you get your blue at a seminar? Just roll in front of someone and they hand you one?

b0b said:
How the hell do you get your blue at a seminar? Just roll in front of someone and they hand you one?

yeah, it's called rip-off.

i would wear the white and usually the instructor will talk to you...see how your liking class etc. then you can find out what to do next

Depends on if you are visiting or joining. If the styles are similar, wear what you are.

I just wear my black and tell everyone I'm too advanced to roll with their newliness. It might corrupt my divine powers.

I ALWAYS wear a black belt. And when people kick my ass, I advice them on what they could have done better.

Steeltwo said:
True. But he earned the right to wear it, he has the right to defend it.

For me, personally, I wear my highest belt that is associated with the school I go to. Example, I'd wear my green Taekwondo rank at any martial art-oriented striking school, and I'd wear my BJJ belt to any grappling school - be it BJJ, under anyone, or Judo, or whatnot.

Back