what belt do U wear at a new school?

I would just talk to the instructor first. I would let them know the situation. Some places want you to wear white and others don't mind at all.

I like to wear my red belt and act like I'm zombie Carols Sr.

It's a good way to break the ice.

I Would Always Ask The Instructor Before Hand, Just As A Matter Of Respect. Most Instructors Could Care Less And Will Tell You To Train In The Belt That You Have Already Earned.

If you're unsure, you could always just wear a white belt. It's always a humble thing to do.

tatang kimura said:
yes, but that's not relevant is it. wearing a judo black belt to a karate class is ridiculous. they kick your ass in striking? all the more reason for a white belt. belt signifies attainment in that style/dojo. if you havent earned it, you cant wear it. previous training in dim mak or whatever is totally irrelevant. you cant work as a MD if you are a philosophy PhD, not matter how many hours you put into your studies. doing anything less is big ego-itis, which should be left outside the dojo.

Well, I disagree. it is relevant. My belt is a symbol of the time and effort I have put forth in the martial arts, which in my opinion all fall under one big canopy. I treat black belts from every martial art with respect unless they give me a reason not to.

When we have a visiting black belt in our dojo, they line up equal with our black belts, regardless of whether or not they have ANY experience in Judo/Jujitsu or not. Why? Because (As I stated before) regardless of whether or not they have any grappling experience, they have obviously put in time and effort to earn their rank and that should be respected by everyone, regardless of style.

Edit: That being said, if I am planning on returning to the dojo on a regular basis, I will ask the sensei... however I have NEVER had a sensei ask me to wear anything but my black belt, and infact most insist on it.

If you're a blue belt at BJJ wear your blue belt, same thing with purple, brown, black. It's an insult not to, and you should be able to defend your right to wear the belt. As long as it's the same art, than wear the belt you earned. If you're a black belt wearing a white belt how horrible would that be. If you're a black belt getting tapped out by blues than take off your belt and quit the art. If it's the same art wear the belt. It pisses people off and they get injured the most there when you go there sandbagging. When you have 2 years of experience and someone takes it easy on you seeing you are wearing a white belt and than you tap them, they will think you are just there for your ego boost.

Darkslide632 said:
Well, I disagree. it is relevant. My belt is a symbol of the time and effort I have put forth in the martial arts, which in my opinion all fall under one big canopy. I treat black belts from every martial art with respect unless they give me a reason not to.

When we have a visiting black belt in our dojo, they line up equal with our black belts, regardless of whether or not they have ANY experience in Judo/Jujitsu or not. Why? Because (As I stated before) regardless of whether or not they have any grappling experience, they have obviously put in time and effort to earn their rank and that should be respected by everyone, regardless of style.

Edit: That being said, if I am planning on returning to the dojo on a regular basis, I will ask the sensei... however I have NEVER had a sensei ask me to wear anything but my black belt, and infact most insist on it.

And what art do you train. You decide to start a new art, than wear the belt of that art you have no experience. If you are a black belt in a martial art that takes 2 years, it's rather insulting to go to a BJJ school and put on a black belt, especially if the instructor is a purple or brown. You earned it in your art, so only wear it in your art.

"Well, I disagree. it is relevant. My belt is a symbol of the time and effort I have put forth in the martial arts, which in my opinion all fall under one big canopy. I treat black belts from every martial art with respect unless they give me a reason not to."

of course you do, but you're still wrong. can you read at all? your belt is nothing but a sign to say what skill level you're at in a particular style. you dont try to pass yourself off as a judo blackbelt if youve spent the last 6 years training in hapkido or even bjj. any more than you'll be allowed to perform surgery even if you've spent the last 10 yrs getting a doctorate in islamic history. can a police officer say "i've spent the last decade chasing drunks, so cmon i'm a paratrooper now!" this is your non-sense concept. it has nothing to do with "respect". nothing. would you allow a chiropractor to work on your teeth, or a kendo teacher teach you arnis? when you go study at a style you've never done before, you accept your teacher's expertise and learn. that's all. it's not a place for you to be primping "my black belt". you're talking total crap.

"When we have a visiting black belt in our dojo, they line up equal with our black belts, regardless of whether or not they have ANY experience in Judo/Jujitsu or not. Why? Because (As I stated before) regardless of whether or not they have any grappling experience, they have obviously put in time and effort to earn their rank and that should be respected by everyone, regardless of style."

who gives a shit about some "visiting blackbelt". a guest is just a guest, training and teaching are a totally different story. again, respect is irrelevant. you cant pass yourself off as what you're not. if anyhting, thats being disrespectful to the students that are trying to actually earn their rank. you cant practice law, just because "i've spent all these years earning my MBA". utter crap.

"Edit: That being said, if I am planning on returning to the dojo on a regular basis, I will ask the sensei... however I have NEVER had a sensei ask me to wear anything but my black belt, and infact most insist on it."

no sensei worth anyhting should let you wear a different style's black belt in his dojo as a beginner. thats nothing but a disgrace. not only that, he should tell you to go to hell if you dont want to follow his dojo protocol, and are only concerned about hanging on to your fragile ego. if anything,it's a flat out insult- "uh, im a beginner, but i insist that you accept my advanced rank i got elsewhere because i dont have the humility to admit that i have anything to learn".

i wonder if dan inosanto insisted that rigan accept him as an expert in his bjj dojo, when he first started rolling.

The way I was taught is formal and simple.
wear your white belt to whatever school you go to.

In your first couple of classes dont try to tap or dominate
people to show how skilled you are. Just relax and observe
the other students skill level and attitude.

Theres a really good chance that if you really deserve the rank
you have, the new teacher will ask you to wear your correct belt.

Wait, so what was the consensus on gis with patches from other schools?
And, one way around the problem of wearing a white but tapping higher belts, just tell them before you roll how much time you've spent on the mat. For example, I say "I've rolled 2-3 years, but it's been almost a year and a half since I was last on the mat." Simple, and they know sort-of what to expect. But most definitely wear the white at a different school from the one where you earned your actual belt. I think most people (especially the students, maybe not the instructor) view it as showboating, even if they say they don't give a shit. Anyway, my 2 cents...

If wrestler just inform the instructor of how many years you trained. If you hold a belt in BJJ and you go to a bjj school wear your BJJ belt. If you are Judo practitioner with no BJJ level and go to bjj school wear white, if you are Bjjer and you have no level in judo and go to Judo school wear white. Is quite simple i guess.

Once i heard about a BJJ BBelt that went in a BJJ school wearing White belt and after destroying all the student's the instructor told him "Man you are good you should wear the blue..." LOLOL. The guy was 4 times world champion Brazilian.-(can't say the name in public) very funny guy.

You should always wear the belt you have earned in that system of martial art.
You should always wear a white belt in a system of martial art that you have never previously trained.
If the only belt you own is a higher rank form another system, then by all means wear it, just explain why.

When a friend of mine and I started BJJ, he forgot to order a belt with his gi, so he wore his black belt from TKD. He explained the situation to the our instructor and it was no big deal.

About two months ago some Judo black belts came to our school wearing their black belts. They were mostly alright guys, and our instructor (a brown belt) didn't bother them with the class fee, since they were just one time guests. Then they came back the next week fully participating in the class, still wearing black belts, still not paying. So our instructor basiclly said, 'Look guys, it's cool if you want to come to my classes and learn, but if you are then you're going to have to pay the same as everybody else.' They never returned. They weren't really wanting to become students, they just were trying to pull rank bull-shit and score some free classes, instead they just got free humiliation via whitebelts.

I find it very funny when I started doing BJJ with all of my past grappling. (Judo, Sombo and wrestling) I was asked if I had trained at another school before. I to the instructor no but I had grappled before. I think he was rather perplexed when I was having his blue belts tap out, and me being just a white belt.

see, that's why everyone has to start doing no-gi only. then you don't have to worry about belts. :D

I don't wear a traditional BJJ belt. Instead of white or blue, I wear the Loyd Irvin association 4 (or is it 5?) stripe white belt which is a blue belt with a white stripe through the middle. In the school I attended it was treated as a rank seperate from either, closer to blue than basic white. Since I was wearing that funky thing I asked the owner of my "new" (I was returning) school for a white belt. He didn't have one and said that the BJJ instructer wouldn't care anyways. The BJJ instructer simply remarked that I'd gottan a stripe since he'd seen my last and that was that. He accepted both the belt and the psuedopromotion. However, when a judo black belt entered, he told him to go fetch a white belt which he did.

That being said, I'd wear my correct belt automatically if I had a traditional belt. As it is, I ask if I'm staying and make no mention of it if I'm visiting. This goes for all grappling schools. If they ask me to remove it for whatever reason, thats not problem either. I don't keep a white belt close, but I do own one to wear.

Back