what belt do U wear at a new school?

Half Boston Crab said:
I ALWAYS wear a black belt. And when people kick my ass, I advice them on what they could have done better.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Commissar said:
True. But he earned the right to wear it, he has the right to defend it.

For me, personally, I wear my highest belt that is associated with the school I go to. Example, I'd wear my green Taekwondo rank at any martial art-oriented striking school, and I'd wear my BJJ belt to any grappling school - be it BJJ, under anyone, or Judo, or whatnot.

Agreed.

I guess it would also be disrespectul to wear a gi with a patch of your schools name on it?

THANK YOU for all the replies!!! some are very helpful, some are hilarious phuckers!!! LOL

I guess I'd take BOTH belts with me, talk to the instructor, and if they look at me weird for
even bringing it up, I'd say, well I heard in Brazil, you ask the instructor so I'm just following
their tradition, and I have 2 gi's one with my school patch, the other without, so I'd wear the one
without.

Thanx Frodo,

I understand that East & West thoughts both have strengths and flaws but
they are quite different, culture changes things even more, you know you heard
of all the things about when Japanese and American business men do business together.

But either way, I agree with you, it's the underlying attitude more than following the
cultures.

An eastern person can be very respectful and where their white belt and not put a whoop ass
on anyone. Not interupt the teacher and say, oh yeah I learned it a lil different which
helped me out a lot.
He's not trying to hide shit. just tryin to give respect.

The western guy can wear his belt, and IF he gets owned, he has the sense of humor and
grandness to say, OK I GOT WHOPPED I'm gonna put on white belt from now on DAMNIT with
a big smile.

I think it would matter some if you plan on staying at the school or if your just visiting. Either way I'd talk to the instructor ahead of time, let them know how long I've been training and who gave me my belt etc. I would then respect the instructors decision (it's their home, it's their call). I know that where I train if you earned your belt somewhere else that doesn't matter, wear it when you train with us.

I'm curious about schools like Rickson Gracie schools, or others that require belt testing... If I went to visit could I wear my purple, even though I haven't gone through their testing? How about if I moved there and wanted to train their from then on? Would that be different?

As far as wearing belts from other arts, including other grappling arts I say absolutely not. Yes Judo, BJJ, and Sambo are all grappling, but they do have different emphisis.... Show respect for the new art you choose to train and wear the white.

VampireMonk said:
Thanx Frodo,

I understand that East & West thoughts both have strengths and flaws but
they are quite different, culture changes things even more, you know you heard
of all the things about when Japanese and American business men do business together.

But either way, I agree with you, it's the underlying attitude more than following the
cultures.

An eastern person can be very respectful and where their white belt and not put a whoop ass
on anyone. Not interupt the teacher and say, oh yeah I learned it a lil different which
helped me out a lot.
He's not trying to hide shit. just tryin to give respect.

The western guy can wear his belt, and IF he gets owned, he has the sense of humor and
grandness to say, OK I GOT WHOPPED I'm gonna put on white belt from now on DAMNIT with
a big smile.
The thing is, both of those examples are poor stereotypes. I know Westerners who are very respectful in that manner; I try to be that way with most teachers on and off the mat. I know Easterners who are very cocky too.

A friend of mine thinks that most Asians think most Americans are rough and try to cheat all the time, and therefore most Asians think it is alright to cheat Americans for that reason. I don't know if that is true or not, but it is a stereotype of both cultures and a bad one at that.

Man, I went from a Western-centric way of thinking to a Eastern-way of thinking and back again. I now feel the best approach in general is that there are few best approachs in general. Simular to Bruce Lee's style as a metaphor. I think people should not be contrained by their own cultures and their own opinions of other cultures. They should be a scientist and judge on an individual basis instead.

your belt was given by your coach so not wearing your belt is an insult to your coach.

I was woried about that blanko,

and frodo I agree with you,
I think your missing the point, stereo types I used for easy reference,
and that is what they are for.

used wrongfully and stereo types become tools of prejudice, I believe that is not what I did.

I have a brown belt in a different system, and a judo gi my dad brought me back from Iraq. Pretty cool story to it. Anyways, I just wear it and the judo gi to BJJ in the summer and they dont care. Thats just because their really REALLY informal.

VampireMonk said:
I was woried about that blanko,

and frodo I agree with you,
I think your missing the point, stereo types I used for easy reference,
and that is what they are for.

used wrongfully and stereo types become tools of prejudice, I believe that is not what I did.
I'm sorry. I miss the point often!

frodo, hey no need to appologize, you gave me some great view points and
advise in general and got me thinking!!!
Thank you

And before I forget thank you to all who replied here, I read every post and thought about it
your comments more than once.

Commissar said:
True. But he earned the right to wear it, he has the right to defend it.

For me, personally, I wear my highest belt that is associated with the school I go to. Example, I'd wear my green Taekwondo rank at any martial art-oriented striking school, and I'd wear my BJJ belt to any grappling school - be it BJJ, under anyone, or Judo, or whatnot.

I disagree. You wear the belt you earned in the style you earned it in and nothing else. For example if a Judo Black belt comes to a BJJ club that is coached by a purple it's almost like the Judo guy is trying to pull rank on his instructor (and lets face it most BJJ blue belts can take most Judo black belts on the ground so it's not like their belt means anything in a BJJ class anyway) nevermind purple.

It's like the storys I often hear about traditional JJ black belts going to a BJJ class and refusing to wear white, only to be schooled by almost all the white belts when rolling time comes around.

If you win a belt in Judo (again just using judo as an example - it applies to everything) then feel free to wear it to any judo class/comp you want but don't take it to a BJJ/Sambo/Aikido/TJJ class because you didn't earn it in that arena.

Just because I have a second dan in Tae Kwon Do, it doesn't mean I have a second dan in the japanese tea ceremony.

Half Boston Crab said:
Just because I have a second dan in Tae Kwon Do, it doesn't mean I have a second dan in the japanese tea ceremony.

I like the implication that the tea ceremony is a more valid fighting art than TKD. Ouch.

I wear my BJJ belt (blue) at my submission grappling class, they seem fine with it. They only roll with gis before gi comps so the instructor puts on a white belt. As far as I know he has no formal rank in BJJ.

If I go to other BJJ clubs I will probably wear my belt 'cause I don't have a white belt. I have to admit, it would probably be fun to turn up to a new club in a white belt and see how quickly I get awarded blue.

If I start judo I'll buy a white belt and a judo gi.

I wear my black belt to any dojo. 1) Because I earned it and 2) Because it's what I carry with me.

So, I wear my black belt (Judo) to a Karate class (Which I have never taken, but in theory) and the lower ranking Karate students kick my ass at striking. Of course they do, my belt is in Judo. EVERY school I have been to and ever sensei I have come in contact with shows respect for my rank in Judo. Does it mean that I start my rank at black in their school? No, but there is more to being a black belt than the techniques you've learned. There are things like discipline, experience and hard work that apply to all martial arts, regardless of what techniques you might be using at any given time.

IMO, the best thing to do is to talk to the instructor. Tell them that you have trained at that you are a blue or purple or etc. and ask them if they would prefer you wear a white belt....thats the best way to to go about it because if he says its cool to wear the belt u already had then its cool and if he asks to wear the white belt then u know

"So, I wear my black belt (Judo) to a Karate class (Which I have never taken, but in theory) and the lower ranking Karate students kick my ass at striking. Of course they do, my belt is in Judo. EVERY school I have been to and ever sensei I have come in contact with shows respect for my rank in Judo. Does it mean that I start my rank at black in their school? No, but there is more to being a black belt than the techniques you've learned. There are things like discipline, experience and hard work that apply to all martial arts, regardless of what techniques you might be using at any given time."

yes, but that's not relevant is it. wearing a judo black belt to a karate class is ridiculous. they kick your ass in striking? all the more reason for a white belt. belt signifies attainment in that style/dojo. if you havent earned it, you cant wear it. previous training in dim mak or whatever is totally irrelevant. you cant work as a MD if you are a philosophy PhD, not matter how many hours you put into your studies. doing anything less is big ego-itis, which should be left outside the dojo.

Back