What Auto Rematches did you agree with and why?

Why wouldn’t he have wanted to fight Weidman the first time? Weidman had prior to that looked mediocre at best and gassed badly when he fought Maia. Few thought Weidman was going to beat Silva and no one thought it would be by KO.

Rematch made sense though but in hindsight Silva should have taken an easy warm up fight.
I believe I read that Silva considered retirement after his 10th title defense against Sonnen in their rematch. I think he said the UFC bought him a benz.

I don't know if you remember during that time, but Anderson was lobbying for a fight against Bisping and some fans were upset, accusing him of ducking Weidman.

But the truth was, Weidman really wasn't a a big name nor had he done much in comparison. He was obviously believed to be very skilled but he was very new and inexperienced in the sport.

If Silva would have retired after Sonnen, it would have been a perfect story book ending but the money and big sponsors really had just started coming in big time for Anderson.

Why wouldn’t he have wanted to fight Weidman the first time? Weidman had prior to that looked mediocre at best and gassed badly when he fought Maia. Few thought Weidman was going to beat Silva and no one thought it would be by KO.

Rematch made sense though but in hindsight Silva should have taken an easy warm up fight.

There were actually quite a few folks picking Weidman to win, and Silva's manager was at the time trying to get a fight with Cung Le so there were quite a few calls of Silva ducking him.

I believe I read that Silva considered retirement after his 10th title defense against Sonnen in their rematch. I think he said the UFC bought him a benz.

I don't know if you remember during that time, but Anderson was lobbying for a fight against Bisping and some fans were upset, accusing him of ducking Weidman.

But the truth was, Weidman really wasn't a a big name nor had he done much in comparison. He was obviously believed to be very skilled but he was very new and inexperienced in the sport.

If Silva would have retired after Sonnen, it would have been a perfect story book ending but the money and big sponsors really had just started coming in big time for Anderson.
I thought Silva should of been done after Sonnen 2

Joe B vs Figueiredo so that we can see that ass whooping again.

razor close or disputable decision title fights but only if the fight was fantastic, long time champ loses belt, freak injury. I hate instant rematches usually. Mas getting a title shot is absolutely retarded.

I’m for automatic rematches if one of these criteria is met.

1. The fight was a draw.

2. There was a controversial, robbery type decision.

3. There was something controversial in the fight that directly, undoubtedly effected the outcome.

4. A longtime champion (think GSP, Silva) loses their belt.

Any rematch that meets any of those requirements is fine by me.
I agree if it's a draw. Everything else I would disagree with. I understand why people would want to see a close fight again to erase any doubt, or if the judging or officiating was suspect, but I do not like the idea that a promotion is just going to run back a fight because they didn't like the outcome. Just have them fight someone else first and then do the rematch. There is only 1 situation where a rematch doesn't make sense after 2 guys fight someone else, and that's only if the guy who "won" the first fight wins again and the other guy loses.

Long time champions already stagnate a division enough. No sense letting them have 2 chances to defend the belt. If they lose, just let them fight someone else. Maybe the guy 3rd or 4th ranked, and they will be back in the mix soon enough. Or, if they have a slide like Woodley currently is on, they will allow a guy like Burnes to make a name for themselves.

Back