What Auto Rematches did you agree with and why?

Edgar vs B Henderson II, because they robbed Edgar.. then they rob him AGAIN in the rematch LOL. Poor Edgar

for me it was Penn vs Edgar 2, Shogun vs Machida 2 cus of controversial decisions
Silva vs Weidman 2 I was happy with since Silva was champ for many years and never lost in the UFC and ppl thought the first fight was a fluke
Edgar vs Maynard 3 made sense since that 2nd fight was a draw
What’s the full list? Off the top of my head:
Couture v Rizzo
Couture v Belfort
Sylvia v AA
BJ v Edgar
Edgar v Maynard
Edgar v Bendo
Shogun v Machida
Silva v Weidman
WB v Woodley
Holloway v Aldo
Holloway v Volk

Is that right ?

Everyone agrees with Couture v Vitor.

It’s easy to get Couture v Rizzo and Sylvia v AA because there were no other contenders. But that’s more about the promotion than the fighters.

Draws (Maynard and Wonderboy) are sensible.

If you agree that dominant champs deserve one, then you agree with Aldo, Max, Silva, and Penn rematches. If you don’t, you don’t.

That leaves Bendo v Edgar. And it was not only close, but Edgar had just had to defend 2 rematches, he argued it was unfair to not get one himself.

My answer is Edgar v Bendo and WB v Woodley. Bendo because 3 repeats in a row killed everyone’s joy, and Wonderboy because truly no one liked the first and no one was interested in another (except a small handful of Woodley haters).

Unlike the 2 examples above, EVERYONE wanted to see Machida v Shogun.

Last edited:
These are not gonna be popular in the slightest but I'd say Max vs Volk 2, he defended the belt 3 times prior, and was a Fan Favorite.

TJ vs Cody 2. Before the rematch it was clear that both had the ability to finish each other and it was one of the more exciting fights to make at BW at that time. Cody was riding some serious momentum going into 217, and the Fight delivered as anticipated, so I personally had no problem with the rematch. Besides, it made for some funny Shoops, and to see TJ's subsequent downfall was also very interesting haha.
TJ should've been given a rematch against Dominick.

Maybe it's a bit idealist, but i think you shouldn't be doing auto rematches cuz of controversial decisions or mid fight issues that led to a questionable finish. I mean, we all know those problems exist, but fights should be booked moving forward as if nothing went wrong. If you try to solve one broken system by breaking another, you can set a real bad precedent. Soon, you're booking mulligans repeatedly until the guy you think should have won does.

Draws in title fights should be instant rematches. Anywhere else in the rankings? Ya can, but it's ok to be basically level with another fighter, you just can't have your champ even with someone.

Or any questionable issue that led to a no contest. The fight can be done over because, officially, it basically never happened at all. It doesn't HAVE to, if the re-booking is difficult or someone has to wait, but there's no problem with an auto rematch if they can both go.

Anything else is either a legit win/loss or should be treated like one. That "long term champ" shit can fuck right off too. Only reason that makes sense is if, aside from the new champ and next contender, the champ had beaten everyone else in the top like 8 or so, and none of them came back with wins yet. I can almost guarantee there's always one fighter in the top ranks the old champ can rebound against.

I’m for automatic rematches if one of these criteria is met.

1. The fight was a draw.

2. There was a controversial, robbery type decision.

3. There was something controversial in the fight that directly, undoubtedly effected the outcome.

4. A longtime champion (think GSP, Silva) loses their belt.

Any rematch that meets any of those requirements is fine by me.
I agree with this except I don't really like #4, it just holds up the division so long particularly if the former champ wins his belt back and then you've got to run it back a third time.

I'm all for giving a longtime champ or dominant champ a rematch but ideally both the new champ and old champ will fight someone else first

What’s the full list? Off the top of my head:
Couture v Rizzo
Couture v Belfort
Sylvia v AA
BJ v Edgar
Edgar v Maynard
Edgar v Bendo
Shogun v Machida
Silva v Weidman
WB v Woodley
Holloway v Aldo
Holloway v Volk

Is that right ?

Everyone agrees with Couture v Vitor.

It’s easy to get Couture v Rizzo and Sylvia v AA because there were no other contenders. But that’s more about the promotion than the fighters.

Draws (Maynard and Wonderboy) are sensible.

If you agree that dominant champs deserve one, then you agree with Aldo, Max, Silva, and Penn rematches. If you don’t, you don’t.

That leaves Bendo v Edgar. And it was not only close, but Edgar had just had to defend 2 rematches, he argued it was unfair to not get one himself.

My answer is Edgar v Bendo and WB v Woodley. Bendo because 3 repeats in a row killed everyone’s joy, and Wonderboy because truly no one liked the first and no one was interested in another (except a small handful of Woodley haters).

Unlike the 2 examples above, EVERYONE wanted to see Machida v Shogun.
That's a comprehensive answer. Nice job.

The most obvious one for me was Silva Weidman. Silva at the time was talked of as GOAT and seemed to have lost that fight being careless and clowning around.

I'm not a proponent of you have to beat the champ twice before you move forward.

The most obvious one for me was Silva Weidman. Silva at the time was talked of as GOAT and seemed to have lost that fight being careless and clowning around.

I'm not a proponent of you have to beat the champ twice before you move forward.
Were also against Max v Volk 2, Edgar v BJ 2 and Aldo v Max 2?

for me it was Penn vs Edgar 2, Shogun vs Machida 2 cus of controversial decisions
Silva vs Weidman 2 I was happy with since Silva was champ for many years and never lost in the UFC and ppl thought the first fight was a fluke
Edgar vs Maynard 3 made sense since that 2nd fight was a draw
Figgy vs Moreno 2. Close fight, point deduction made it a draw, both guys exhausted by the 5th round after a back-and-forth extravaganza.

Last edited:
I'll go off topic and pick the one I disagree with and that's stipe and DC #3.

Stipe won the 2nd one decisevly and was the champion coming into the first bout.

It withhold the division for what I'd say two years, now we're finally getting the rematch a lot of us been looking forward too.

McGregor vs. Diaz 2 because Conor was a champ for taking him at 170 at the last second.

McGregor vs. Diaz 2 because Conor was a champ for taking him at 170 at the last second.
I disagreed with it because it stalled 145 when Frankie was red hot, but from what I've heard the second fight was very good, still haven't seen it I boycotted UFC when that rematch got announced lol

Stipe/DC I agreed with, I wouldn't have agreed to 2 rematches if I knew it would have held up the division for so long though.

JJ/Rose 2 made sense aswell for me at the time.

Serra/GSP aswell

GSP fought Koscheck and Hughes before he got his Serra rematch, so not really an auto rematch

Tito and Shamrock probably didn't need to run it back but I'm not complaining they did

I agree with all these rematches EXCEPT for Weidman vs Silva 2. I don't believe Anderson really wanted to fight him the first time let alone the second time.

He knew in his heart that his time atop was up but unfortunately he got bought.
Why wouldn’t he have wanted to fight Weidman the first time? Weidman had prior to that looked mediocre at best and gassed badly when he fought Maia. Few thought Weidman was going to beat Silva and no one thought it would be by KO.

Rematch made sense though but in hindsight Silva should have taken an easy warm up fight.

Back