what are your strategies for closing distance vs a taller opponent

Pugilistic

Interesting response. I'm not the tallest guy at my gym but at 6-2 I have a reach advantage against a lot of my sparring partners. A jabbing contest usually goes my way.

We agree on slipping and feints. That's what I feel is the best way to get inside.

Original topic was "Closing the distance" not just tagging from afar.
So on what efficiant ways to move in.

Joe Rogan, "Why is he not throwing leg kicks?"
Body ratio is no buddy ratio.
If my arms are a few inch longer than yours than chances are my legs would be much much longer than yours.
(Body ratio doesn't apply to people with long ass torso or gator arms people)

Last edited:
I never got the "jab your way in" until I fixed my stance, weight distribution and learned how to jab without coming forward with my head. Now it works most of the time.

I never got the "jab your way in" until I fixed my stance, weight distribution and learned how to jab without coming forward with my head. Now it works most of the time.

you can also jab to the eyes to block his vision, it wont land but will distract him for a sec... So all of a sudden your inside throwing followup punches..

Left straight*stepforward*Right Straight*stepforward*Left Straight*
Then leg kick

Yup. Works for me most of the time, anyway. Except against my dynamic kicking friend.

Interesting.....I guess my jabs tend to lead with my head versus my glove....

Any pointers on proper jabbing.....

Cheers!!!

Thx everyone for the intriguing comments

That video should help.

is the back foot planted? thats pretty weird, arent you always supposed to be on the ball of your back foot? how are you supposed to move with the heel planted? both feet will be planted then?

I just push off the ball of my back foot and then fire the jab... I can pivot, step forward or backwards, or fire it in place... and my feet dont take off the ground like that... so he must be something wrong apart from being on the ball of his back foot..

is the back foot planted? thats pretty weird, arent you always supposed to be on the ball of your back foot? how are you supposed to move with the heel planted? both feet will be planted then?

I just push off the ball of my back foot and then fire the jab... I can pivot, step forward or backwards, or fire it in place... and my feet dont take off the ground like that... so he must be something wrong apart from being on the ball of his back foot..

His is a little awkward, but that's because he's still learning. The point is that his head does not come forward when he jabs.

No, you should not always be on the ball of your back foot. Planting your feet gives you stability and balance, and the ability to transfer weight for punches.

When you want to move you... pick up your heel.

And the way you're throwing your jab, it sounds like you probably lean forward into the punch, pushing off your back foot and moving forward, rather than popping the shoulder and hips and dipping downward.

Here you go. Textbook jab.

His is a little awkward, but that's because he's still learning. The point is that his head does not come forward when he jabs.

No, you should not always be on the ball of your back foot. Planting your feet gives you stability and balance, and the ability to transfer weight for punches.

When you want to move you... pick up your heel.

And the way you're throwing your jab, it sounds like you probably lean forward into the punch, pushing off your back foot and moving forward, rather than popping the shoulder and hips and dipping downward.

Here you go. Textbook jab.

I meant to say, your always supposed to be on the ball of your the back foot for the jab... I know that for other punches like left hooks you can plant the back foot for more power (but you pivot the front foot, I dont know if you ever supposed to have both feet planted)

I guess planting the heel would make it into a power jab, but I dont throw those too often..

and no, im not leaning forward on my jab at all.. I can feel the power going up from the ball of my back foot, all the way to the hip and shoulders.. So i just push off my foot and the jab is there..

Mind you, the dude on that video was on the ball of his back foot with his heel on the air... but yeah thats a pretty sweet jab lol

I found this strategy works, but not all the time. It depends on how the tall fighter fights.

Instead of going after the tall fighter, take a step back and let him chase you. A lot of tall fighters aren't accustomed to this, they often deal with guys trying to close them down. As soon as the fighter comes into close range, step in and make him pay.

Simple, that's how i fight tall fighters anyway and works pretty well for me.

Same as my tactics for closing on a smaller opponent....

KarateStylist

Same as my tactics for closing on a smaller opponent....

KarateStylist

Why would you close on a smaller opponent? Are you trying to get a hug? Are you sick of taking unfair advantage and want him to hit back? Do you have to arrest him?

That's a myth that a tall fighter needs to always stay away .
Once you know what you're doing , you need to go in , occasionally , and put your work in.
A tall fighter has other advantages even up close.

Why would you close on a smaller opponent? Are you trying to get a hug? Are you sick of taking unfair advantage and want him to hit back? Do you have to arrest him?

You do that if your dirty boxing is better than your long game, if you like to catch people as they come in and dog on it, it's looks cool!

Back