what are your strategies for closing distance vs a taller opponent

ChairmanJo

White Belt
Reaction score
I constantly find myself being out of range or geting lit up when trying to close the gap...

Pivots..switch stance hooks....nothing seems to work.

I don't have too much experience in boxing and Muay thai sparring but this is getting demoralizing..

Any tips from the more experienced...

Cheers

jab jab jab........ till you get there. if your out of range for your jab dont bother throwing anything else. This is the simplest and most effective ways to learn to get inside on the taller and longer guys. Once you've got the jabbing in down, start adding level changes and feint, jab jab...... get this first, then move on to other techniques.

Note: your jab doesn't have to land on the chin, gut of the taller guy. Land that jab at the closest thing to you (gloves, arm) and keep jabbing until you get it to him, than jab the chin/gut, and put together your power shots in your range. Don't try closing the gap by launching in out of range with 1 big step into your jab. instead, cut that distance down to 2-3 smaller quicker steps and add a jab with each step trying to hit the closest thing to you and work your way in. Simple, basic, but nonetheless effective against both novices and experienced guys that are taller and longer.

This works in MT also, despite popular opinion (of some). Good thing to add in MT for the shorter reach/height fighter is to throw your leg kicks at the end of your combos as the taller guys trying to get out, then jab, jab, jab, repeat............ That low kick at the end of your combo as the taller guy retreats will cut down the time and distance you'll have to cover going back in.

Last edited:
I'm new to this new, but so far I've been able to get in with feints mostly.

And also getting them to respect my jab which I then use to set up a right hook (south paw), while constantly circling around them, circling right and making them have to turn around with me so they can't kick me.

Worked against a 6'4" guy with a bit more experience than I had, but against him my first few jabs didn't even land, but once I get them to land things got better.

I like to feint a step in, to force them to throw a move to counter it. Then when their hit reaches full extension, I make my real step in and hit, forcing them to stop the real hit, which can disrupt or cover their second punch. Then, you are inside.

Ftr I don't agree that jabbing is the way to get in on a taller fighter. That guy has a longer jab than you do.

Feints work. Target the body first. I see a lot of shorter dudes get lit up trying to head hunt when the body is there for them.

One of the simplest things they taught me in thailand on different heights was "he punch you kick". I sparred with one of the fighters and one of the foreigners and I had a few inches each time. Obviously the Thai dude had loads of experience over me obviously but just based on that he negated my range. The foriegn dude did better against me after that lesson. I've used it as well on taller guys

Being more of a counter-fighter I prefer to counter on my way in. My taller opponent will step in or hold his ground as he attacks. If I move in whilst defending his attack then I am in a good position to launch my counter-hit. If I can do it fast enough I can get him before he retracts his attacking limb. You have to trust you defense to do this though.

Ftr I don't agree that jabbing is the way to get in on a taller fighter. That guy has a longer jab than you do.

Feints work. Target the body first. I see a lot of shorter dudes get lit up trying to head hunt when the body is there for them.

One of the simplest things they taught me in thailand on different heights was "he punch you kick". I sparred with one of the fighters and one of the foreigners and I had a few inches each time. Obviously the Thai dude had loads of experience over me obviously but just based on that he negated my range. The foriegn dude did better against me after that lesson. I've used it as well on taller guys

Actually makes sense, you can fight anywhere except for in your opponents kicking range. I'll def keep that in mind

I'm 6'3 with long arms, so I'm almost always sparring people shorter than myself. Here's what tends to work well for the shorter guys I've sparred:
-Lots of lateral movement and coming in at different angles. Generally speaking, the smaller man should have a speed advantage. The most frustrating guys for me to spar are the ones that keep moving and force me to keep adjusting. When someone stands still or I get them cornered, then I have it much easier - I can just stand at my range and fire, and I should still be slightly outside their range.
-Work on slipping and countering. Guys that are good at slipping punches and getting inside are tough to deal with. If you slip a punch and crack the guy with a good counter hook, he'll start to worry about committing to his punches.
-When you spar, come in with the mindset that you have to get in your range, by any means necessary. Move around, cut the ring off, do whatever you have to do to get into your range, even if it means eating something. Get to where you have the advantage.

Yup...my jabs kept setting up for his longer jabs and subsequent combos

I'm a lot faster and protected myself like mayweather with the left jab and the right hand covering my chin move but he kept moving out of range....I think it was because we were on a mat instead of a ring....in a ring I can use my aggressiveness

He also mentioned that he knew what I was planning on throwing by looking at my shoulders..how do you guys stop the punch telegraphs...

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions...will use them in tomorrows sparring session

I love the jab but I usually abandoned it for other methods against taller opponents. Feints and quick bursts are generally the way I'd go. See how he attacks-- if he fights like a taller person with a lot of straights, use a lot of feints and pivots, get him to readjust and during that time, close the distance. If he's loopy, jam him up (something I always had trouble doing).

jab jab jab........ till you get there. if your out of range for your jab dont bother throwing anything else. This is the simplest and most effective ways to learn to get inside on the taller and longer guys. Once you've got the jabbing in down, start adding level changes and feint, jab jab...... get this first, then move on to other techniques....
^^^ Assumes the jab can't be handled by opponent.... a huge supposition, albeit A true for your camp.....
I like to feint a step in, to force them to throw a move to counter it. Then when their hit reaches full extension, I make my real step in and hit, forcing them to stop the real hit, which can disrupt or cover their second punch. Then, you are inside.
^^^ nICE....

KarateStylist

Last edited:
What are your suggestions for a very tall guy who predominantly kicks?

What are your suggestions for a very tall guy who predominantly kicks?
^^^ Well, I'm a lot smaller than you.... and physically moving in against big, taller guy is always a problem....

^^^ By traditional karate guy, though, the approach to the issue is changed because, all traditional karate kumite training proper, does what philosophically?

>>>> I'll stick with ever popular Shotokan.... defense only = defense 1st to me in the applied sense....

>>>> I fought, one of my time-worn sparring stories, a super strong boxer who was green-belt @ our Dojang..... bigger, taller, much physically stronger than me.... and in shape unlike you.... though you're making progress in that department....

>>>> He opened the session with a front kick to my lower abdomen, but kinda sloppy. I pivoted & blocked the kick, though not with the standard karate low block. My block caused him to be put off balance whereupon your opponent is forced to step down.... which narrows the distance for your counter attack....

Karate kumite 1-step tactics create vulnerabilities in the opponent.... and of course this takes mental discipline to act on the specific the time it happens.... otherwise the opponent will recover and 'reset'--the momentary vulnerability now lessened or gone....

You don't believe in karate..... keeping up the good work on the MT / boxing end.... your vid in your last D. Training T. looked pretty good to me.... to the point of coming across intimidating to the opponent....

KarateStylist

ive been told that one of the biggest mistakes a smaller guy can do is to try to "make himself taller" i.e. chest out napoleon complex style.

instead, try making yourself more compact (chin down, elbows in, hunch your back ar the top a little)
work on head movement and footwork to get inside.

ive been told that one of the biggest mistakes a smaller guy can do is to try to "make himself taller" i.e. chest out napoleon complex style.

instead, try making yourself more compact (chin down, elbows in, hunch your back ar the top a little)
work on head movement and footwork to get inside.
^^^ Smaller by itself is a physical disadvantage.... Mentally, there is none based on physical size difference. What does this mean...?

A bigger, taller guy throws a kick which is going to reach longer than my kick >>> is a big problem in kickboxing where you instigate single shots, trade techniques....

I, by karate, take the weapon away. Boxers do not typically subscribe to Shotokan karate philosophy, so I do not have an answer for boxers, kick-boxers, sport fighters, etc....

>>> I will say the answers by other posters here are all legit....

Karate never does all the body contortions you speak off, although some head movement, leans are permitted... all that kind of body movement advocated by boxing or MMA or whatever---- is supplanted in karate by mental discipline of block-strike....

I can bring over a quote by SummerStriker.... about how karate produces mostly 'poop,' fighters, so I do not advocate karate for the SINISTER, et al following....
He hurts my braincells. They scream his name in vain as they die.
^^^ You definitely need brain cells to train under Sinister.... so I have to ease up on the karate here.... or cause irreparable harm..... :icon_lol:

KarateStylist

Last edited:
^^^ Smaller by itself is a physical disadvantage.... Mentally, there is none based on physical size difference. What does this mean...?

A bigger, taller guy throws a kick which is going to reach longer than my kick >>> is a big problem in kickboxing where you instigate single shots, trade techniques....

KarateStylist

just what I learned from boxing a couple years back.
not a karate fan at all

Last edited:
KS, being smaller is not necessarily a physical disadvantage. In terms of reach, that's nearly always the case. But being smaller also offers unique advantages in terms of leverage. The best judoka, for example, are almost never very lanky. Compact guys make great takedown artists as well, and for the same reason, such as Lloyd Irvin's DJ Jackson and Mike Easton.

I'll usually wait on the guy to throw something out at me, and then try to move in at the same time. If he's got long, lanky limbs, then my shorter levers will be able to do better at a short range. It's all about getting inside really, whether that's by following him back in, or by angling off and coming in closer to him.

Also, love to get good leg kicks on tall guys.

Back