What are your favourite fights where a fighter dominated a significantly larger opponent?

While it was a grind, Miocic (official weight 246lbs) dominating a relatively green but significantly larger Ngannou (263lbs and probably more on fight night) for 5 rounds at UFC 220 en route to a 50-44 across the board was pretty impressive at the time considering that Miocic had to be nearly perfect on the feet not to get KO’d.
That's a better example than Fedor vs. Zulu. The size difference wasn't as much, but Zulu was just a huge dude with nowhere near Ngannou's skills. His only big name win was Minowa, and he had an even bigger size advantage in that one.

This.

And also 5'11" Pettas vs. 7'3" Kim in K1:

Pettas talks about the fight in this video:

Everyone who beat Varelens was smaller: Tank (who had the fastest finish of him), Ruas, Kimo, etc.

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard 3
They both later fought at FW, though. Maynard wasn't a big LW. If he were, he may have been a real force with his wrestling.

Mcgregor vs Diaz

Diaz was tree toymes bigga on fight night

TUF 2 really got me into MMA, so I have to say Rashad Evans vs Brad Imes.

the-ultimate-fighter-weigh-in-november-4-2005.jpg

I really liked Frankie Edgar vs Cub Swanson. Cub didn't exactly tower over Edgar but it didn't look like Edgar should have been able to hold him down so easily.

Kid Yamamoto at his peak was exploding Lightweight opponents for years then easily made Bantam/Fly weight when he was wrestling for Japan or in the UFC.
Kid Yamamoto is a great example. I didn’t realize how small he was until I saw him fighting at 125. In his prime he was going toe to toe with lightweights and not only beating most of them but knocking out plenty of good fighters. He even went 3 rounds with Masato in K1.
The Zambidis loss was a bit rough though.

Last edited:
You drunk bro?
Evander is a chihuahua tail taller than Tyson and had bigger traps than Ipanema beach.

Drunk? Naaa Just how history goes.

When Tyson and Holyfield were Olympic hopefuls, Tyson was a heavyweight and Holyfield was light heavyweight eh?

Tyson was always thicker even though short.

They were both smaller than almost all their heavyweight opponents....

Francis wasn't green. Already had 6 UFC fights and 6 others. He just got beat by a better Stipe fighter that night. He was only 'green' for not going 5 rounds in an MMA match.

Francis wasn't green. Already had 6 UFC fights and 6 others. He just got beat by a better Stipe fighter that night. He was only 'green' for not going 5 rounds in an MMA match.

Ok, let’s take a look at his career until that point:
Per a few sources, he began training in boxing at age 22 in Cameroon before migrating 4 years later.
So before leaving Africa since he was also working, it doesn’t appear that he had much if any significant experience in training combat sports or martial arts in general (no mention of youth karate, wrestling, etc…)

His first 4 pro fights appear to have been in a French promotion (I haven’t done a deep dive) in which 2 round (not 3 or 5) fights are the norm; very similar to the American amateur scene.

Three fights later “Guh-no” (I’m sure you remember that one) made his debut in the UFC.

And in his 14th ever fight (he won a kickboxing bout in 2015,) he fought Stipe for the title even though I’d have been surprised to see Ngannou be able to run 3 miles in less total time than he spent in the octagon that night (because literally zero cardio.)

So, with 3 years of boxing training (while working full time,) <4 calendar months of MMA training prior to his first bout, 14 fights (13 total in MMA,) later with what appears to be zero endurance training and next to no background in martial arts from his youth and I’m sure you’re familiar with the details about his migration and homelessness during that whole period…

I’d argue that he was still somewhat green.

He wasn’t a strong farm boy who just strapped on the gloves; but still fairly green in comparison to other athletes at the highest level of a sport.

TLDR: a bit of boxing training as an adult then <4 months of training followed by 4 fights in an amateurish promotion and 10 more bouts with zero cardio compared to men/women who’d been spending their whole lives competing, seems to be the epitome of the label relatively green that I initially gave early 2018 Francis Ngannou.

Randy Couture vs Tim Sylvia... Randy only weighed in at 220 for that fight and Tim was 265 but obviously was nothing like that on fight night, probably close to 290

It was a totally one sided fight, Randy beat him everywhere.. in the striking and on the ground

Very true!
Not to detract, but I’ll reiterate what I thought when he fought Monson: Sylvia was tallor made to lose to a guy with high level Judo or Greco-Roman wrestling.
He was weak in the clinch with exploitable balance issues**; but great at distant where he could box or sprawl and brawl.

That said, I never thought Randy (who I believed would win) would beat him in the manner that he did.

Last edited:
That's a better example than Fedor vs. Zulu. The size difference wasn't as much, but Zulu was just a huge dude with nowhere near Ngannou's skills. His only big name win was Minowa, and he had an even bigger size advantage in that one.

Stipe was only giving up 17lbs to Ngannou that first fight. Ngannou was 253lbs two fights prior so I don't think he was cutting weight.

Jailton Almeida has had bigger size gaps than that for basically all his fights at HW 30lbs lighter than Black Beast and 34lbs lighter than Rosentruik.

Stipe was only giving up 17lbs to Ngannou that first fight. Ngannou was 253lbs two fights prior so I don't think he was cutting weight.

Jailton Almeida has had bigger size gaps than that for basically all his fights at HW 30lbs lighter than Black Beast and 34lbs lighter than Rosentruik.
Yeah, in the modern (weight class) era, the biggest size mismatches are definitely at HW. Cain, Cormier, Couture and other small HW all fought guys who probably walked in the cage 50 pounds heavier than they were.

To not answer the question.. the thai guy that fought jerome le banner..

A lot of good ones being mentioned here though..

While it was a grind, Miocic (official weight 246lbs) dominating a relatively green but significantly larger Ngannou (263lbs and probably more on fight night) for 5 rounds at UFC 220 en route to a 50-44 across the board was pretty impressive at the time considering that Miocic had to be nearly perfect on the feet not to get KO’d.

Stipe’s chin sure held up in that fight. He ate some serious shots.

Easy cowboy. 29 pounds of visceral fat does not grant you this giant boost in raw power the way some of you seem to think it does.

Derrick said himself he has to cut to 265lbs.

Said for the Spivak fight in February he dropped 25lbs in 3 days so he was probably 290lbs in the cage (against Spivak) which would be nearly 60lbs heavier than Almeida.

https://bloodyelbow.com/2023/07/27/ufc-291-derrick-lewis-weight-cut-scare/

Probably why he can get up from under most guys by just standing up.

Although at one point he was in shape under 250lbs.

derrick-lewis.jpg

Last edited:
Back