What are your favourite fights where a fighter dominated a significantly larger opponent?

Stipe’s chin sure held up in that fight. He ate some serious shots.

Definitely!

I'd have to go back and watch it; but I don't remember him taking any big shots flush from Francis.

I just remember glancing (albeit hard) shots landing from Ngannou.
Of course, none of are going to pretend that a glancing shot from the Cameroonian (in 4 oz gloves no less) would be a picnic for anyone; even a HW world champion.

Drunk? Naaa Just how history goes.

When Tyson and Holyfield were Olympic hopefuls, Tyson was a heavyweight and Holyfield was light heavyweight eh?

Tyson was always thicker even though short.

They were both smaller than almost all their heavyweight opponents....
I gotcha.
I thought you meant when they fought and Holyfield tren much harder.

Very true!
Not to detract, but I’ll reiterate what I thought when he fought Monson: Sylvia was tallor made to lose to a guy with high level Judo or Greco-Roman wrestling.
He was weak in the clinch with exploitable balance issues**; but great at distant where he could box or sprawl and brawl.

That said, I never thought Randy (who I believed would win) would beat him in the manner that he did.
Yeah very true, I was really surprised at well how Randy handled him, he was 46 years old at that point and had retired many years previous. Big Tim certainly had balance issues, he always looked awkward on his legs.

Do you think this could only happen at HW though?. Like if Randy was a LW he can't come back at 46 after retiring for a few years and win the belt. I just think HW is not consistent at all and its a crapshoot for most of the time. Its so random, just like the Fury vs Francis fight.. nothing makes sense and its just never consistent. I swear every time I watch HW fights I just think someone random is gonna happen, there is no pattern at all.

Last edited:
Yeah very true, I was really surprised at well how Randy handled him, he was 46 years old at that point and had retired many years previous. Big Tim certainly had balance issues, he always looked awkward on his legs.

Do you think this could only happen at HW though?. Like if Randy was a LW he can't come back at 46 after retiring for a few years and win the belt. I just think HW is not consistent at all and its a crapshoot for most of the time. Its so random, just like the Fury vs Francis fight.. nothing makes sense and its just never consistent. I swear every time I watch HW fights I just think someone random is gonna happen, there is no pattern at all.

I agree across the board^

Re Randy and Tim, I thought that Randy would get inside and dump Tim from double unders or something all night long; not drop him with the first (significant?) punch that he threw.

I agree across the board^

Re Randy and Tim, I thought that Randy would get inside and dump Tim from double unders or something all night long; not drop him with the first (significant?) punch that he threw.
Yeah that was a crazy start to the fight!! that was one of the best starts to a title fight ever in UFC, it was madness!! the arena was so loud. I have that event UFC 68 on DVD, I kinda feel like popping it in and watching it now after we discussed it :D :D .

I sort of remember Big Tim saying in the octagon in the post fight interview that he was injured and then the crowd going hysterical and boo'ing, I need to watch it all again. Good memories.

Kid Yamamoto smashed the fuck out of some dudes that were way bigger than him

Kid was really a special fighter, and we never really got to see the very best of him. He was injured right as Hero*s was winding down and didn't fight for a while, and he was never the same after that.

The Kid prior to that injury was maybe among the best we've seen in the sport. Dude was the perfect mix of a true athlete with a true fighter's mentality and was well rounded with a strong grappling base. Also had personality. That injury robbed us of true greatness.

Yeah that was a crazy start to the fight!! that was one of the best starts to a title fight ever in UFC, it was madness!! the arena was so loud. I have that event UFC 68 on DVD, I kinda feel like popping it in and watching it now after we discussed it :D :D .

I sort of remember Big Tim saying in the octagon in the post fight interview that he was injured and then the crowd going hysterical and boo'ing, I need to watch it all again. Good memories.

End of the day while I might've misunderstood what I saw as an opportunity for the right type of athlete, I honestly could've been wrong.

Either way: Starts at 15:00

The 7 second mark surprised me; 15 seconds later is what I expected him to do all night.

Back