• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What are you playing? v.10 (Red Falcon Edition)

Your Super Contra gun of choice?

• Machine gun (Highest ROF, 6-bullet on-screen cap)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Finished Fallout 3 and started Doom 3 but not sure I'll be able to finish it before the Elden Ring DLC drops.

I've never been able to get into Doom 3 because it's so slow but figured it was a good time to try again since FO3 is even worse. And I'm definitely enjoying it more so hopefully I can sneak it in. It's so claustrophobic and different than all the other Doom games.
I’ve always loved Doom 3, was the first game I got on my Alienware rig back when it released. When I was kid playing the original games my favorite parts were always the “scarier” ones so I was in heaven playing through Hell. The lighting effects still hold up today and even in spite of the “monster closets” and weak ass shotgun, I still play through it every once in a while.

Once you get to Delta Labs, the game really gets good though. It is under appreciated imo
Don't think I've been there yet. I'm still pretty early in the first level I think, just trying to get back to the starting area. That mechanical spider just showed up and helped me get back to an elevator but I haven't gone any further yet.

Don't think I've been there yet. I'm still pretty early in the first level I think, just trying to get back to the starting area. That mechanical spider just showed up and helped me get back to an elevator but I haven't gone any further yet.
Yeah, delta labs is a few hours ahead.

Doom 3 starts slow, but they were trying something new, so I give them slack for it. Be thankful that the flashlight is now on the pistol instead of how it was on first release. You used to have to have the flashlight solely equipped and swap between that and a weapon. That was very annoying on first release.

Stick with it. It does get better imo, and is a great game overall

I’ve always loved Doom 3, was the first game I got on my Alienware rig back when it released. When I was kid playing the original games my favorite parts were always the “scarier” ones so I was in heaven playing through Hell. The lighting effects still hold up today and even in spite of the “monster closets” and weak ass shotgun, I still play through it every once in a while.
I've always wanted to play it but have been spoiled by 2016 and Eternal so 3 has been hard to get into. I love the atmosphere and horror aspects but I can only take it for so long because it's so stressful.

The shotgun is pretty shit unless you get right up close, then it's ok. The reloading though...

Yeah, delta labs is a few hours ahead.

Doom 3 starts slow, but they were trying something new, so I give them slack for it. Be thankful that the flashlight is now on the pistol instead of how it was on first release. You used to have to have the flashlight solely equipped and swap between that and a weapon. That was very annoying on first release.

Stick with it. It does get better imo, and is a great game overall
Yeah what's up with the flashlight setting that doesn't seem to do anything? Sounds like it's a relic of the original version or something. I'm playing the BFG one.

Thanks! It's a game I should love so I'm going to push through.

Yeah what's up with the flashlight setting that doesn't seem to do anything? Sounds like it's a relic of the original version or something. I'm playing the BFG one.

Thanks! It's a game I should love so I'm going to push through.
Can’t remember 100%, but I believe it is a relic of the OG game. That really alienated people on release. Like, we can easily mount lights on guns now, irl… it was a very dumb decision on their behalf, but wisely done away with it, but not until user created mods did that.

I played a few games this year...

- HellBlade 2 = 9/10
- Dust: An Elysian Tail = 9/10
- Journey = 9/10
- Crysis 3 Remastered = 10/10
- Cyberpunk 2077 = 10/10
- Metal Slug = 5/10
- The Stanley Parable = 3/10
- A Short Hike = 8/10
- Abzu = 9/10

<Moves>

Can’t remember 100%, but I believe it is a relic of the OG game. That really alienated people on release. Like, we can easily mount lights on guns now, irl… it was a very dumb decision on their behalf, but wisely done away with it, but not until user created mods did that.
I was just reading a few old threads on the flashlight and yeah it sounds like it was a big deal. Kinda funny now but I guess it is a 20 year old game.

How long is a first playthrough on average? I've seen from 10 hours to 40.

I was just reading a few old threads on the flashlight and yeah it sounds like it was a big deal. Kinda funny now but I guess it is a 20 year old game.

Ahh man, my memory is a bit fuzzy on the first play through. Did play it 20 years ago lol. I think I did it in about 20-25 hours, and I was taking in the sights and not rushing. It’s not a horribly long game unless you’re on the highest difficulty level, or maybe not too good at games in general.

Duct tape mod FTW!

I actually think it sounds alright in theory for a horror game, in having to choose when to use you flashlight, but you kind of need to see enemies when you're shooting at them. The also seemed to forget that certain guns at the time(let alone futuristic guns) already had flashlights built into them for dark environments, so it didn't even make sense from a practical standpoint.

Ahh man, my memory is a bit fuzzy on the first play through. Did play it 20 years ago lol. I think I did it in about 20-25 hours, and I was taking in the sights and not rushing. It’s not a horribly long game unless you’re on the highest difficulty level, or maybe not too good at games in general.
I'm standing in front an Alpha Labs door now but don't have authorization to open it. Maybe I have to come back here later when I get the right clearance ID or something. I'll look it up.

Duct tape mod FTW!

I actually think it sounds alright in theory for a horror game, in having to choose when to use you flashlight, but you kind of need to see enemies when you're shooting at them. The also seemed to forget that certain guns at the time(let alone futuristic guns) already had flashlights built into them for dark environments, so it didn't even make sense from a practical standpoint.
I'm playing the BFG version but no mods. The flashlight so far has been fine although the areas are pretty dark so it might become an issue later maybe.

I've read other people complain that BFG is darker than the OG version. I also read the flashlight being on the pistol was a design decision by Carmack to stabilize the frame rate and then it was moved to your left shoulder in the remaster.

Welllll, spent some time in the Far East and decided to boot up Lost Judgment (the Yakuza RGG studio game) and sequel to Judgment.

It's (i think?) the last Yakuza game that isn't turn based combat.

Anyhow, it's fricken' great. Love the story, they reduced the amount of totally unrelated short side missions replaced somewhat with a series of related mini-quest lines which is a huge improvement (more akin to Witcher 3). There's not as much grinding. More mature subject matter.

I think I'm about half way through and so far it's a 9/10. The one off is simply the combat is too mindless (like all Yakuza games, too many short fights against mundane weak enemies that you can just spam attack and destroy them in no time). Everything else is GREAT. Will give an updated review upon completion. I've been totally hooked.... today got dragged away to fix a shower. If the risk of getting yelled at wasn't there, I would have preferred to just play it all day lol.

Ok this game is pretty cool.

Made it to Communications where you finally go back outside and see your first cacodemon. Are there any breaks in the story? Or do you march your way through this facility to the end? It's been relentless tension and ambushes so far.

I really need to stop going for evey armor shard and pickup I see. It usually doesn't work out for me lol

Welllll, spent some time in the Far East and decided to boot up Lost Judgment (the Yakuza RGG studio game) and sequel to Judgment.

Anyhow, it's fricken' great. Love the story, they reduced the amount of totally unrelated short side missions replaced somewhat with a series of related mini-quest lines which is a huge improvement (more akin to Witcher 3). There's not as much grinding. More mature subject matter.

I think I'm about half way through and so far it's a 9/10. The one off is simply the combat is too mindless (like all Yakuza games, too many short fights against mundane weak enemies that you can just spam attack and destroy them in no time). Everything else is GREAT. Will give an updated review upon completion. I've been totally hooked.... today got dragged away to fix a shower. If the risk of getting yelled at wasn't there, I would have preferred to just play it all day lol.
If for nothing else, the Yakuza games are severely underrated for hooking you with their stories and cut scenes. They're always MGS quality and it's seemingly effortless, as they just pump game after game out with the same generic gameplay setup. What always keeps you going are their Hollywood worthy cut scenes. It's one of a small, VERY small handful of games I could actually watch a Youtube compilation of their cut scenes, just to soak in the story. They're so well acted and told.

Honestly, I thought that the story was the weaker part of Lost Judgment, and I started identify less with Yagami as the game went on. Everything else was fantastic though. Great combat, a lot to do, a lot of side stories and mini games, looks great...

The last Yakuza game to not be turn based is Man Who Erased His Name. It's also very good but a lot smaller in scale, and I'd argue that you should play the previous Yakuza titles to get a good grasp of Kiryus history. It's on Game Pass.

I'd like there to be another Judgment, but apparently there are issues with Yagamis actor and his talent agency. It's a real shame.

Honestly, I thought that the story was the weaker part of Lost Judgment, and I started identify less with Yagami as the game went on. Everything else was fantastic though. Great combat, a lot to do, a lot of side stories and mini games, looks great...

The last Yakuza game to not be turn based is Man Who Erased His Name. It's also very good but a lot smaller in scale, and I'd argue that you should play the previous Yakuza titles to get a good grasp of Kiryus history. It's on Game Pass.

I'd like there to be another Judgment, but apparently there are issues with Yagamis actor and his talent agency. It's a real shame.

I don't know what Game Pass is lol, but I've added the game to my Steam Wish List. Thanks.

I am not a big fan of Yagami - it's annoying how you can't change his outfits except only for specific undercover missions. Very annoying. I've played a lot of the other Yakuza games but got annoyed with the pattern of over bloated plot twist stories moving very fast with too many characters to keep track of. The games tend to get more crazy with their plot lines as they progress so Lost Judgment might follow the same fate, but right now I'm finding it very easy to follow and well paced.

When I first played the Dead Space Remake I played on medium, and then upped the difficulty for the three times I played on New Game Plus. But that was cheating because I'm playing on the hard difficulty with upgraded weapons and suit, so it was quite easy.

In my latest playthrough I played on Hard, but on a new game with default weapons & suit and..... since I played through it four times before I knew the gist of everything, and ammo & health drops are still extremely generous. So at no point was I desperate for ammo for any of my main weapons (Rivet Gun, Flamethrower, & Forcegun) and upgraded them almost fully by the end of the game.

So I wish there was a 'very hard' difficulty like in Resident Evil games in which there's barely enough ammo to kill the enemies you. come across and you're forced to utilize more than one weapon because they're constantly running out of ammo, and enemy hits take a big chunk of your health off.

I know there's an 'impossible mode' in which you play though on the Hard difficulty, but if you're killed your save is erased and have to start all over from the beginning... but that doesn't interest me for now.

Perhaps in the future.

I don't know what Game Pass is lol, but I've added the game to my Steam Wish List. Thanks.

I am not a big fan of Yagami - it's annoying how you can't change his outfits except only for specific undercover missions. Very annoying. I've played a lot of the other Yakuza games but got annoyed with the pattern of over bloated plot twist stories moving very fast with too many characters to keep track of. The games tend to get more crazy with their plot lines as they progress so Lost Judgment might follow the same fate, but right now I'm finding it very easy to follow and well paced.

Don't ask me to recap Yakuza 4...

I tend to find that with Yakuza, even if the story goes a little mad, their ability to apply humour, characters and emotional moments, can really carry through.

Let us know how it goes.

Ended up starting Wo Long

ZjwnMnR.jpeg

Such a badass fucking game. Nioh x Sekiro in the best of ways. Genuinely don't understand the hate.

1 ~ 2 hours into the playthrough, and I'm enjoying the hell out of this !

Back