What are you playing? v.10 (Red Falcon Edition)

Your Super Contra gun of choice?

• Machine gun (Highest ROF, 6-bullet on-screen cap)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A week or two ago I was thinking 'Video Games have as many genres as movies, actually more, but the comedy genre in games are extremely underdeveloped.' Couldn't say I ever played a 'comedy game' or one that was worth remembering...
Have you tried older adventure games, like Leisure Suit Larry & Monkey Island series, Day of the Tentacle etc ?

Reactions: Zer
Apparently Stardew Valleys 1.6 update drops today.

I've put in a lot of time into that game and I'm not entirely sold on replaying it, but if the new farm is good...

I played it on PC. It was fun. It's a pretty basic shooter with some light RPG mechanics, but it's satisfying with its combat and makes you feel like Robocop. There are plenty of nods to the movies and it stays pretty close to their aesthetic and mood while feeling like a sincere effort from fans rather than a cashgrab
Played on PlayStation and a had a good time. Lots of funny, deadpan one-liners and like Z says, the whole game plays like a love letter to the RoboCop franchise and not a cash grab.

Biggest win is you feel like RoboCop at outset; your power fantasy isn't nickel-and-dimed into existence some 10h into campaign. The fall animation + audio FX when dropping from heights is also baller AF – and same for the Terminator-class grab mechanic. The story actually takes place after the first film and before the second.

I've had some back and forth elsewhere with developers Teyon; they were super nice and deeply appreciated the positive aura around the game. Just bear in mind it's holistically a AA title. RoboCop himself looks AAA but so much so that he makes everything and everyone else in his scenes look out-of-place minor league.
Thanks guys. A buddy was telling me he's enjoying it too. Next time we hang I'm gonna try it, He's playing it on steam with a controller.

Sounds enjoyable that you can just throw chairs to take some baddies out, or even write a traffic ticket if you feel like a break in action. Smart of the developers to have a respect o meter so you can try and be an upstanding cop. The Detroit locale appeals to me. I don't recall biker gangs living in abandoned buildings there irl - it was more like artists and entrepreneurs lol.

Cool hearing the developers are so enthusiastic about the game. I enjoy supporting indies. From what I've heard they do the movies a solid. Love the first two. The third is a bit of a 'so bad it's good' movie.

Haven't mentioned but for the last two months since launching on PS Plus I've been on-off playing Session: Skate Sim.

Really did not like at first. A control scheme I've never seen before + engine unpredictability made for a rough ice-breaking. Terrible music auto-playing is something I had to mute too. One thing I'll say is skateboarding, IMO, has to be one of the most difficult things to code for given the physics, rapid surface contact and transitions, angles et cetera inherent to the sport.

Fast-forward some 40h now and I'm logging in every day for a dose of street gnar. I love it.

The game's proven polarising with two camps: worst skater ever, or a reawakener in an otherwise neglected subgenre. I'm in the latter camp now.

Developers Create-ture and iLLOGIKA just released a new map too that's the best to date, IMO – called Schoolyard. It has the leap of faith drop that Jamie Thomas skated back when plus the famous 1994 gap from Jeremy Wray's Plan B part in Second Hand Smoke. I've been filming parts while recreating legendary lines amongst various freeroam.

Good stuff. One more thing: The Platinum trophy is ridiculous and will not be getting. *Slog Sim

As far as comedy games go one of these days I want to play through Beavis and Butthead: Virtual Stupidity. When my Dad got a new PC for Christmas in 1995 I think my oldest brother had a CD from PC Gamer magazine which had the demo for the Beavis and Butthead game. I must have played through the demo about dozen times over Christmas break that year. More than 28 years later I still think about wanting to play the full version. I actually did download it a few years ago from an Abandonware site, but have yet to play it.

i got a leisure suit larry love for sail demo from one of the pc gamer mags.

it was messed up.

Dark Souls 3

So far so good. I'm actually trying to learn how to parry lol. Melting early game with my fire infused straight sword.

In my experience, I found it best to ignore what you miss from 3/NV, and let it breathe on it's own. I initially didn't care for it either. The early game is kind of tough, as the game's new real time combat isn't really tailored for your low level character, and you don't have much in the way of AP for VATS. That doesn't last for too long, and you will quickly gain some armor and weapons(along with experience of course) that will even things out. Just scrape and claw your way through the early game. It won't take long to get up to snuff.

As for the dialogue wheel, it seems limited and kind of lame at first, because the descriptions can be vague and you sometimes feel like the game is making choices for you. You get used to it though, and I eventually came to like it quite a bit, as it lends itself to a more cinematic presentation with your character actually participating in the cut scenes, and you are still getting the same basic options you got in the other games. I went from hating the dialogue wheel, to wanting it back when I played "Starfield".

The crafting is what it is, but I suggest you try to get into it and focus on making some structures every now and then. It's way more robust than it appears, and you can get into a very addictive loop, where you're going out and scrounging and dungeon crawling for certain materials. Maybe even go on youtube and see what others have done with it, for a bit of inspiration. It's not for everyone though, and it's not a huge deal if you ignore it. Don't ignore the weapon/armor crafting, though.

The weight limit thing is as stupid as it is in every other RPG(I fucking HATE that mechanic), but you can dump some points into "Strength" to make life a little easier, and power armor(which is everywhere in this game) will always give you a lot of extra carry capacity. There's a few perks on the strength tree that will mitigate the effect as well. Still a very dumb mechanic that should die, though.

The perk system isn't nearly as overwhelming as it seems. Just look at it like a chart with (eight?) main sections to build on, instead of one big random spreadsheet. It's your typical main/sub perk system, just presented in a weird way. Once you understand it and get into a flow, it all comes together, and it's so big that you'll never get completely maxed out and always have a reason to gain more experience.

The story(or stories) are hit and miss. The main story is a bit unfocused and random at first, but some faction quests get interesting, the more you unravel and settle in. Like most Fallout games, though, the real good ones are the side stories, since it allows you to focus on them a lot more, than the one big main story that you're always getting distracted from.

In general, stick with it for at least 25 hours. Get some experience and perks, and then treat it like any other fallout game and just start exploring and discovering. It's a HUGE game that might take some time to settle in with and get used to, as the early game is a little rough and unbalanced(and jarring if you were expecting more of same). Oh' and whatever you do, ignore the alerts to "protect settlements". It's an obnoxious part of the game that really doesn't mean much, unless you're a completionist. The "Minutemen" suck in general. Just do their main quests, and ignore their bullshit missions.

Well, I sunk quite a few more hours into it. Lot of nights out this past bit that required something to do during recovery. Your advice was really good. The game grew on me considerably, though I don't consider it great by any stretch, but it got a lot more fun than the awful beginning. Some things I did to make it better was google where the best early weapons were and with a few upgrades my bullet sponge combat annoyances went down considerably. My character is closer to God mode now lol. Unfortunately I have had some real bad crashes in the game at very bad times, which is annoying for a game so old.

Anyhow, another game that goes into the far cry and AC frustration of too much low level stuff to do and not enough focus on a cohesive main story. Lot of overkill with the amount of settlements, and allies who can join you. Impossible to keep track and care for everyone. I apparently bought the DLC as part of the package, and the Far Harbor is pretty good. Anyhow, I'll upgrade it to 6.7 out of 10, up dramatically from the 3.5. I'm getting kind of bored of it now though and may muscle through to end it, or maybe take a break and pick it up later.

after all these years i just discovered the sacred chime hammer in dark souls 2. this thing is hilariously filthy.

Last edited:
Been trying different games to see what exactly my PC can handle while I wait for my new one to arrive. Apparently, Silent Hunter 3 is still on the menu! Now to remember how the hell to even PLAY the damn game.

Reactions: Zer
Well, I sunk quite a few more hours into it. Lot of nights out this past bit that required something to do during recovery. Your advice was really good. The game grew on me considerably, though I don't consider it great by any stretch, but it got a lot more fun than the awful beginning. Some things I did to make it better was google where the best early weapons were and with a few upgrades my bullet sponge combat annoyances went down considerably. My character is closer to God mode now lol. Unfortunately I have had some real bad crashes in the game at very bad times, which is annoying for a game so old.

Anyhow, another game that goes into the far cry and AC frustration of too much low level stuff to do and not enough focus on a cohesive main story. Lot of overkill with the amount of settlements, and allies who can join you. Impossible to keep track and care for everyone. I apparently bought the DLC as part of the package, and the Far Harbor is pretty good. Anyhow, I'll upgrade it to 6.7 out of 10, up dramatically from the 3.5. I'm getting kind of bored of it now though and may muscle through to end it, or maybe take a break and pick it up later.
Well, it is what it is. I've gone threw so many phases with that game, that I understand all sides. Sometimes, I think it's one the best Fallout games ever made, and at other times, I thought it was the worst. To me, it's a game that is as good as you want it to be, if that makes any sense. I have a love/hate relationship with almost every aspect of it. I didn't like the crafting until I did. I didn't like real time gun play until I did. I didn't like the dialogue wheel until I did. I didn't the story until I did...and on and on.

If for nothing else, it's unique

Well, it is what it is. I've gone threw so many phases with that game, that I understand all sides. Sometimes, I think it's one the best Fallout games ever made, and at other times, I thought it was the worst. To me, it's a game that is as good as you want it to be, if that makes any sense. I have a love/hate relationship with almost every aspect of it. I didn't like the crafting until I did. I didn't like real time gun play until I did. I didn't like the dialogue wheel until I did. I didn't the story until I did...and on and on.

If for nothing else, it's unique

Yeah, it has ups and downs for sure.

There's so much annoying inventory management; so many items. The crafting is alright, but you need to perk up. I'm maxed on armorer and gun nut and science so can craft most everything and I got some almost God like armor.

I have enjoyed Nick Valentine as a sidekick, but not so much the others and how they "like" or "hate" your actions. There's just too many of them for things to feel cohesive. The game would also benefit with like more perk points early for skills, and less levels of skills. I mean 3 or 4 levels for hacking and lock picking is over the top annoying. The rads thing is for the most part annoying. Being short on your favorite ammo is annoying, and having to barter away your shitload of guns through long menus. All that said, once it gets its hooks into you, you kinda feel compelled to see it through, which I do now. I have no idea how much more of the game I have left and I havne't touched the Nuka Cola part.

Oddly enough, the central purpose of the game of finding your kid quickly becomes "who gives a shit" and completely forgotten because there's so much side fare.

I was playing Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun but it's dragging, I need a break. Game is gonna give me a fucking brain aneurysm lol.

I started Neon White and it's gangster as hell. Fun/silly story, I really like the art style and graphical style and the main voice actor, and it's a fast paced time trial kinda game with so far short but very enjoyable levels. I really like trying to get the platinum times and beat my bud's scores, super addicting for me. Great game thus far, should've played it sooner. It's pure fun.

If you're into shooting/puzzle/platforming/time trials I'd check it out.

Neon_White_cover_art.jpg

Been trying different games to see what exactly my PC can handle while I wait for my new one to arrive. Apparently, Silent Hunter 3 is still on the menu! Now to remember how the hell to even PLAY the damn game.

Man, I loved the shit out of Silent Hunter 3, what a classic. Nothing like chilling around the Carribbean sinking oil tankers with your deck gun. Other sub sim games haven't done it for me (Although I have UBOAT on my Steam wishlist and it seems to be well regarded). Just remember to get the GWX mod (If it is still available)

I'd like to take a deep breath and get into X-Com 2.

I've had it for years, but I get obsessed with making characters that represent all classes and skill paths, and ensuring that one of the beginning characters is me, a sniper, with high will.

I also have to play the tutorial, every time.

It's frustrating as hell and incredibly time costly.

I'm also curious about War of the Chosen. It's odd, as it seems like a stand alone add on that meshes with the main game, but I don't know how well it does it.

Loved Enemy Within on iPad, years ago...

I'd like to take a deep breath and get into X-Com 2.

I've had it for years, but I get obsessed with making characters that represent all classes and skill paths, and ensuring that one of the beginning characters is me, a sniper, with high will.

I also have to play the tutorial, every time.

It's frustrating as hell and incredibly time costly.

I'm also curious about War of the Chosen. It's odd, as it seems like a stand alone add on that meshes with the main game, but I don't know how well it does it.

Loved Enemy Within on iPad, years ago...

WOTC is a superb expansion. I bought XCOM2 on release and was very disappointed (Having loved both the XCOM Reboot and Enemy Within). Mainly because it performed like dogshit. But WOTC not only fixed all my issues but the content it adds is brilliant. It is definitely on the level of Enemy Within

Also if you're on Steam, check out the Workshop because there is a ton of awesome stuff in there. From big gameplay overhauls like Long War to cosmetic things like adding AK's and Mass Effect characters to the game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back