What are some of the reasons why people are giving Korean Zombie close to no chance of beating Max?

Davidjacksonjones

Archbishop of Church of Saint Jones
@Black
Reaction score
Just checked the sports betting pages just to see the odds on this fight. I don't think i have seen an MMA fight this year with odds this lopsided. Its even worse than Stipe-Jones and Izzy-Strickland.. Betting $1000 for Max to win will only win you $110 on some sites.

I have not seen many fights of the Korean Zombie in the past, and I know Max is one of the greatest ever at FW

Looking up his record, he does have recent losses to Alexander Volk, Brian Ortega, Yair and Jose Aldo (in 2013), who are all pretty elite fighters and are highly ranked in the division.

KZ does have a 5 inch reach advantage, but he is also 5 years older than Max

Are people counting out KZ because he is that washed up, too old and not that great?

082623-ufc-fight-night-holloway-vs-the-korean-zombie-EVENT-ART.jpg

KZ has losses to those high ranked guys, but he also wasn't really that competitive in a lot of them.

He wasn't even really supposed to fight Volk, and he wasn't even a threat to him in the end.

He got outstruck by Ortega, who isn't much of a striker.

KZ's problem is he's way too predictable now. All he does is throw step in 1-2s over and over. Even Ortega had no issues with figuring that out and beating him easily.

His age and wear and tear doesn't help.

Max is just a way better striker, even if he doesn't hit quite as hard.

Too old, took too much damage in his career and is coming off a year lay off. I just can't trust Zombie to win against someone as good as Max on the twilight of his career
I would love to see an upset here, I'm a fan of Zombie and I want his retirement fight to go well for him, but the fact that they matched him up against Max makes it an almost zero chance of that happening, absolutely baffling match making.

Holloway has the age and speed advantage, and he looked better in his last few fights than has KZ. Still pretty surprised by those odds. As Max said at the press conference, KZ is still a dangerous striker and the odds don't mean much as you've still gotta go out there and perform your very best or you may get smoked.

^ what those guys said.

Plus, I feel like Max is a terrible match up for him. Great takedown defense so it’s unlikely they grapple much, very good footwork and angles, adamantium chin, great volume striking, quick, cardio for days… It just looks grim for KZ. I feel like he’s behind on everything, pretty much.

He is old, slow, and his style never matched up well against Max even in his prime. I love KZ, but if Max is still Max, he is going to get beaten down. It's not going to be remotely close. The problem being KZ's only chance for victory is a KO/SUB, and as we have seen time and time again, Max has one of, if not the BEST chin in the game. So betting on a KO is a long shot to say the least.

Only other chance is a lucky sub, but again Max has pretty good defensive wrestling, and KZ's offensive wrestling isn't the best, so again I doubt KZ can get this to the ground.

In my opinion, if you are betting on a KZ victory, you are betting on a lucky sub. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of a KO/TKO.

Ergo, KZ is fucked.

His fights with Ortega and Volk were not even remotely competitive. Yeah Max's last fight with Volk wasn't either but KZ got straight up wrecked. Only guy to beat Max at 145 in the last 10 years is Volk.
That's insane, just rechecked Max's record. His last loss at FW apart from Volk was against Conor which was 10 years and 1 week ago, when he was still a kid

Reminds me of DC in a way. Can beat everyone else, and would have been a dominant champion if it wasn't for one person

Just checked the sports betting pages just to see the odds on this fight. I don't think i have seen an MMA fight this year with odds this lopsided. Its even worse than Stipe-Jones and Izzy-Strickland.. Betting $1000 for Max to win will only win you $110 on some sites.

I have not seen many fights of the Korean Zombie in the past, and I know Max is one of the greatest ever at FW

Looking up his record, he does have recent losses to Alexander Volk, Brian Ortega, Yair and Jose Aldo (in 2013), who are all pretty elite fighters and are highly ranked in the division.

KZ does have a 5 inch reach advantage, but he is also 5 years older than Max

Are people counting out KZ because he is that washed up, too old and not that great?

082623-ufc-fight-night-holloway-vs-the-korean-zombie-EVENT-ART.jpg
KZ specializes in getting punched in the face.
Max specializes in punching in the face.

Max is far too clinical and technical, KZ is on the decline, anything can happen in MMA but Max by dec/ko/tko is the most likely depending on how durable KZ is and Max's output/precision.

I might go out on a limb and predict Max by sub at like +1500 if KZ is getting out struck and beaten up and scrambles for takedowns, gets taken down on the cage and caught in a guillotine or gives up his back for a rnc.

KZ had the first twister submission in UFC history. Did he kind of stop relying on his grappling at some point?

The biggest thing is how much Zombie has slowed, while not having stellar defense in the first place. This fight is tailor made for Max to go off with his combos, and Zombie doesn't have the ability to get Max's respect and slow down the onslaught at this stage. I expect it to look like Max/Kattar, with Zombie landing even less strikes and likely not making it the full 5.

Edit: also Zombie does have some grappling chops, but he's too worn to have any chance of getting this to the mat.

KZ has always been a slow plodding striker, Max will always be a bad matchup for him, Max by UD 50-43, might win beatdown of the year or close to it, KZ was losing to Yair until that last second hail mary elbow, yair cooks him in a rematch

KZ had the first twister submission in UFC history. Did he kind of stop relying on his grappling at some point?
seems so. he's a serviceable striker now. if he had tried to implement some grappling vs Volk and Ortega those fights might have gone differently. "fell in love with his hands" so to speak at the expense of the rest of his arsenal.

but even with grappling i doubt he could submit Max. KZ either gonna get tko'd late or lose by a wide UD

Prime vs. Prime Max would still be a big favorite.

But Zombie has lost a few steps and Holloway hasn't. The odds are fair, KZ could get a big KO but Max has a hell of a chin.

KZ has slowed down a lot in recent years and is not very dynamic anymore. I think Holloway will beat him up. Holloway is too fast and accurate.

Since 2013 KZ has had 7 fights, let that sink in lol, 7 fights since 2013, we are in 2023 now. I feel like he is not really a pro fighter. Far too inactive and he is only part time. He was fun to watch back in the day and entertaining, but its passed him by now I feel. I think its gonna be a one sided fight

Back