• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What are some examples of “lucky” occurrences…

PlasticFishBowl

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
that totally changed how a fighter is viewed.

For example, in a slightly different world, Yan doesn’t knee a downed Aljo and goes on to win a dominant 50-45 and everyone here is saying Aljo is trash and not champ level.

Another recent one would be the Leon headkick KO of Usman. If he doesn’t get that he loses the decision fairly decisively and would be thought of totally differently as a fighter.

Anderson not getting that last-minute triangle on Chael in their first fight.

Although I suppose Chael probably would’ve been stripped for having T levels higher than the Liver King, so maybe Silva’s reputation wouldn’t have suffered so badly.

Lucky for Bisping that Weidman got injured and had to pull out of the Rockhold fight.

Lucky for GSP that the MW champion around the time of his comeback was Bisping.

Lucky for Moreno that Garbrandt had to pull out of the Figgy fight. Also lucky for Moreno that the ref took a point from Figgy which lead to the draw.

As far as upsets, i don't like to call those lucky. Edwards timed that headkick with the intent of knocking Usmans head off. Not luck.

Lucky for Bisping that Weidman got injured and had to pull out of the Rockhold fight.

Lucky for Moreno that Garbrandt had to pull out of the Figgy fight. Also lucky for Moreno that the ref took a point from Figgy which lead to the draw.

As far as upsets, i don't like to call those lucky. Edwards timed that headkick with the intent of knocking Usmans head off. Not luck.
Perez filled in for Garbrandt not Moreno, if that's the circumstance you're referring to.

Are we talking about hypothetical scenarios in the past that would dramatically change how fighter(s) are viewed?

In a slightly different world, Aldo doesn't rush in during the opening seconds of the Mcgregor fight, and wins the fight while utilizing deadly leg kicks. Conor would never have become a champion let alone dual champion. Aldo would not have been destroyed mentally and would have continued to remain unbeaten for more than a decade. He would then retire as a top 4 GOAT.

Are we talking about hypothetical scenarios in the past that would dramatically change how fighter(s) are viewed?

In a slightly different world, Aldo doesn't rush in during the opening seconds of the Mcgregor fight, and wins the fight while utilizing deadly leg kicks. Conor would never have become a champion let alone dual champion. Aldo would not have been destroyed mentally and would have continued to remain unbeaten for more than a decade. He would then retire as a top 4 GOAT.

Yes, I liked that timeline.

Although I didn't mind Conor being champion, I liked his style back then.
But the 13 second stuff really hurt...

Aldo wasn't using leg kicks anymore at that point though.

Lucky for Bisping that
the ref didn't stop it when Anderson Silva knocked him out with a jumping switch knee.

2be9icbcz4b31.gif

t_y_z_.gif

Mighty Mouse vs. Uncle Creepy
If they would have went to a deciding round Ian probably would have won (dominated the 3rd) and both careers could have changed drastically

that totally changed how a fighter is viewed.

For example, in a slightly different world, Yan doesn’t knee a downed Aljo and goes on to win a dominant 50-45 and everyone here is saying Aljo is trash and not champ level.

Another recent one would be the Leon headkick KO of Usman. If he doesn’t get that he loses the decision fairly decisively and would be thought of totally differently as a fighter.
if Yan doesn't knee Sterling, he mightve still lost the first fight.

That fight was competitive and Sterling, albeit starting to slowdown, had been winning up until the knee

Yiar Rodriguez Headbut/Elbow vs TKZ is easily the biggest lucky move to ever be pulled off in the UFC
Not a luck move at all.
If you watched the fight, you would notice Yair attempted it several times previously.
TKZ rushes forward with his chin in the air. Yair was looking to move out the center line and strike down it

Last edited:

garbrandt was supposed to get a fly weight title shot?

Sterling's entire championship run has had chance, to an extent I can not remember in any other case, work in his favor: Clearly lost first, Yan's corner lacking visas and winning a split decision in the second, Dillashaw being injured, Cejudo being unmerited and of questionable preparedness, and once again O'Malley being unmerited (will have to see whether this works in his favor or not though). Honestly the strangest sequence of occurrences I can think of that ever happened in MMA.

Everything is lucky, even if it took loads of skill and training to do it.

We all recognize that the same two opponents could fight to a million different results, but everyone's so hard up about avoiding any connection to the word "fluke" that they'll just straight up deny that result A happened instead of result B just cuz that's how the dice rolled that instant. It's a ridiculous pet peeve of mine in MMA fandom

lol what? Aljo was getting outboxed and thrown around on his head.
He was not getting outboxed, Yan was having issues with the length and pace of early rnds.
Thrown on his head? Those TDs did no damage and amounted to absolutely nothing. They looked cool for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuralAttacker25
Back