What are some common Muay Thai leg stretches?

bate18

White Belt
Reaction score
i tried searching but nothing came up. what are some essential muay thai leg stretches? pictures would help as well

Why not search for Karate or TKD stretches?

daigoro said:
Why not search for Karate or TKD stretches?

because i assume muay thai does more intense leg work and kicking. i may be utterly wrong though

why doesnt this forum find any search results when i simply search for the word ''stretching''? ive searched titles and posts

Watch JCVD in Kickboxer for the secrets of Muay Thai stretching that are deviously hidden from the farang.

Are you sure youre ready for this?

Well, actually stretching in most thai Camps is left up to the individual and they don't do scientific things (PNF, etc.). The trainers will grab fighters between pad rounds and stick the fighter's leg up to the head.

Actually, just kicking is how they develop what they have.

Thais are tough but the training is not very scientific--let me tell you. And, yeah, I am in Thailand.

teep said:
Well, actually stretching in most thai Camps is left up to the individual and they don't do scientific things (PNF, etc.). The trainers will grab fighters between pad rounds and stick the fighter's leg up to the head.

Actually, just kicking is how they develop what they have.

Thais are tough but the training is not very scientific--let me tell you. And, yeah, I am in Thailand.

Exactly, teep is right on about this. It's ironic but Muay Thai fightes do not actively do any specifiec stretches other than the partner stretch he described. No groin, hamstring or quad stretches, and no attempts at splits either.

Don't let this fact hold you back from stretching yourself however.

That's awesome - They just kick until it stretches! That's ballistic.

Do dynamic stretches where you lift your leg up in the air straight forwards, to the side, and to the back. You'll be kicking head height cold in no time.

No that is not what I meant.

Just come here to find out---it's more basic than what you think--not scientific at all.

mikelw said:
Do dynamic stretches where you lift your leg up in the air straight forwards, to the side, and to the back. You'll be kicking head height cold in no time.

good point. ive read about dynamic, but it would take months to kick head height

Read "stretching scientifically" by Thomas Kurz, best book around, but does go into a lot of unneccessary detail (unless you rellay want to know about the physiology behind the exercises). Used his program of stretches for 2 months and was able to go from decently flexible, could just about high kick, to being able to do full split, kick stuff off the top of friends heads when bored etc.

Back