• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What am I missing? - Jones' Asking Price

So if they both make 15m, that's 30 million in only fighter compensation from the main event. If you exclude other fighter costs, going by UFC 200 numbers, and you add around 13m, you are looking at 43m in costs between the main event and non-fighter pay. If the event makes 60m in revenue that leaves you 17m for fighter pay and for company profit. Assuming you leave the rest of the card with low draws and spend 2m in the other 12 fights...
That’s not taking into account passive income that’s not directly attributed to the card. I.E. cable deals, espn deals, etc...

That’s not taking into account passive income that’s not directly attributed to the card. I.E. cable deals, espn deals, etc...

I understand that. I am talking about direct compensation for the fight, which is what Jones is bargaining for.

So if they both make 15m, that's 30 million in only fighter compensation from the main event. If you exclude other fighter costs, going by UFC 200 numbers, and you add around 13m, you are looking at 43m in costs between the main event and non-fighter pay. If the event makes 60m in revenue that leaves you 17m for fighter pay and for company profit. Assuming you leave the rest of the card with low draws and spend 2m in the other 12 fights...
I say Auntie Dana needs to play hardball and offer BOTH:

15k to show and 16k win bonus. Take it or leave it.

I understand that. I am talking about direct compensation for the fight, which is what Jones is bargaining for.
Someone else mentioned it already, but I just assumed it was bigger points. So like NFL contracts that are $80m, but are really $20m guaranteed and $30 in performance bonuses and $30 more if the team extends it after 4 years.

If he gets $3/$3m and $9/ppv after 500k, and it sells 1.5k, he would earn $15m. Or it wouldn’t sell and he’d earn $6m ;)

He has previously said he makes about $5 million per fight.

A fight with Jones vs Ngannou would sell extremely well, easily over 1 million buys.

I can't see Jones making less than $7.5 million under his current contract.

Fighters in general should be paid more. Period. But the guy making more than everyone else probably shouldn't be the one complaining about his pay.

He doesn't want the fight. That's all there is to it. Winklejohn said recently Jones should get $50 million for the fight.

Fifty million fucking dollars.

Absolutely absurd. They don't want the fight and it's more and more obvious each and every day.

Jones is ducking and anyone defending him is an idiot

I missed him saying $8m-$10m is not enough. Do you have a source for that?

He confirmed he makes $5m and wants more than that. He denied he ever asked as high as $30m. I thought that's all we had so far.

I assumed $15m-$20m was his middle ground, but I hadn't heard he flat out said $10m was too low.

Just type "Jon Jones 50 million dollars" into Google.

Once you do the table math, you expose how much of a bitch Jon is. I've been laughing at all the people foaming at the mouth claiming Jon deserves at least $20 million if not more.

{<jordan}

If Dana can give Conor 20-30 Mill, why not give Jones 15?

Conor generates several times more money for the UFC than Jones. Not twice as much, many times over. He sells far more ppvs, his media appearances generate more viewership than anything Jones does, he is enormous.

They don’t negotiate in good faith. I’m not saying that I know for a fact that Jones does either, but I think we all know the UFC pushes these guys around.

On top of that, if Jones loses, the UFC can break ties with him and throw him under the bus, in the same way that GSP said he thinks the UFC wants Khabib to come back and lose.

It's easier for the UFC to spin that they have the best fighters when the last champ loses the belt before retiring. This way, the UFC remains the key brand, not the fighter.

On top of that, if Jones loses, the UFC can break ties with him and throw him under the bus, in the same way that GSP said he thinks the UFC wants Khabib to come back and lose.

It's easier for the UFC to spin that they have the best fighters when the last champ loses the belt before retiring. This way, the UFC remains the key brand, not the fighter.
Yeah there’s definitely the contact popularity effect. Here’s a great example

Conor fought nate. Nate became a huge star instantly. Nate fought Jorge, Jorge became a big star. If at any point someone dips out, you lose the “chain”. Right? It’s the same thing with guys like jones and Khabib.

The thing is I don’t think you could put khabib in an event to make him look bad because I don’t think he’d ever lose, at least not In his present state.

Jones on the other hand has looked vulnerable and possibly a bit weak compared to the world beater jones were used to. My observation is that when he rehydrates he’s not filling out like he used to. He weirdly looks very tiny.

Im not sure if it’s the weight cut that’s gotten harder and he’s trying to avoid missing weight or tough cuts...or if it’s lack of peds. Idk. But he looks small. Moving up to HW is either brilliant or stupid. I haven’t figured out which it is. I’m leaning towards stupid.

The UFC are the ones taking the financial risk. They are the ones who know what pencils and what doesn't for them. Jon demanding more than $10 million just because it's a risky fight for him and he thinks he's worth more because he compares himself to boxers and NFL players (apples to oranges) doesn't mean he is WORTH that much TO THE UFC. Would it be a big fight? Probably. Does that automatically mean the UFC can just hand him and Francis $20 million each and still be profitable enough to make it worth their while? No, not necessarily.

Also, fuck Jon Jones. Give it to Black Beast.

Because Conor can sell a fight and Jon can't. Conor would get more PPV buys fighting a cardboard cutout of Jon then Jon could ever pull.

These days, it's probably true! :D

The UFC are the ones taking the financial risk. They are the ones who know what pencils and what doesn't for them. Jon demanding more than $10 million just because it's a risky fight for him and he thinks he's worth more because he compares himself to boxers and NFL players (apples to oranges) doesn't mean he is WORTH that much TO THE UFC. Would it be a big fight? Probably. Does that automatically mean the UFC can just hand him and Francis $20 million each and still be profitable enough to make it worth their while? No, not necessarily.

Also, fuck Jon Jones. Give it to Black Beast.
Can you point me to which PPVs the UFC ever lost money on? Because a million buy PPV generates $50 to $75 million for the UFC. There is more than enough space in there for huge purses and UFC profit.

I don’t know if Jones actually wants this fight or not but he definitely is going about this all wrong. He’s looking like a nervous wreck once more.

Jones - juice is just a really good 205er. His last few fights without his penis pills were really close. He wanted nothing to do with a Reyes rematch and he is trying to leverage one more big payday before anyone notices he is the same fraud that Vitor was without back door medicine.

You have no idea what those fighters got paid. Pure speculation. For top level fighters the majority of the money they make is from the PPV side.
Jones has said on record he got 5 odd million his last fight. Unless he’s lying we have a reasonable idea of his finances. The UFC offers him double that for the Ngannou fight and he says it’s way too low. If it walks talks and quacks like a duck odds on it’s a duck.

See when he says 8-10 million is too low.. if he is referring to a base salary excluding ppv points then he is out of his damn mind.. I think that is the perfect amount with a PPV % based on how well the fight does.. If he really thinks the fight will be that big than he will accept a sliding scale payment along with a hefty base salary which I thought 7.5million would be fair, plus %'s that could pay him anywhere of up to 20-25 million total if it did like over 2m buys.. So if the UFC did a flat 8-10 million and nothing else I get his point... He is a great fighter one of the Greatest but he's not the model champion, he's failed drug tests, been stripped several times, and he's coming into the fight basically as the bad guy Heel.. so he deserves to get paid, but it can't be in openly diclosed amounts if it includes ppv points, that will open a can of worms the UFC won't allow with all fighters demanding unreasonably high pay..

If jones wants to treat this like his last Hoorah!! I get it, but if he is expecting $20 million+ plus PPV points he's insane.. he could easily try to setup a fight with Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua and he would make 100 million plus....But he's pushing his luck if he thinks he is getting $30-50 million plus

Back