~ Western Art ~

This almost seems to be the consensus. I refer to Da Vinci as the greatest polymath, Michelangelo as the greatest visual artist and Caravaggio as the greatest painter.
If those masters are facets of MMA, Bernini might be there protege. He wasn't as good as them in their own field but he's good enough to compete among those three. Could beat Michelangelo in sculpture if he has that look in his eye.

I hate Donatello's renowned bronze sculpture of David; or at least the physical features and posture of it. An ideal male body is not slender, unmuscular and androgynous-looking.
He was woke.

Athlete Wrestling Python (1877) [F. Leighton]

Pyth.jpg

Idyll (1952) [G. Quaintance]

Idyll.jpg

White Captive (1953) [G. Quaintance]

WC.png

Hercules (1957) [G. Quaintance]

Herc.png

On A Pedestal (1990) [T. Bianchi]

Ped.jpg

Family Values (1995) [S. Walker]

S3.png

David And Me (2001) [S. Walker]

S4.png

Mercure (2001) [Pierre et Gilles]

MercMasc.png

I guess the python/snake thing is like in Japan where the dick is censored so they started using tentacles

I don't really know anything about gay art, but on one of my favourite podcasts David Hockney was a big topic recently

davidhockneyb1937portraitofanartistpoolwithtwofigures19722400.jpg

Last edited:
I kind of got the motivation for this from the MBS Da Vinci thread. Included are five of the most revered historical figures along with examples of their work (only allowed a max of 20 images!). Vermeer, Monet and Renoir created some spectacular stuff as well. Obviously, there's a history of heavy Christianity-laced themes.

Do you have a fave movement, or artist?

Discuss... Err, enjoy? :confused:

Da Vinci (1452-1519)
Vitruvian Man (1490)

Vitruvian-Man.jpg

Mona Lisa (1506)

MonaLisa.jpg

Michelangelo (1475-1564)
David (1504)

David.jpg

Moses (1515)

Moses.jpg

Creation & Judgment (1512/1541)

Creation-Judgment.jpg

Last Judgment [Closer] (1541)

Last-Judgment.jpg

Raphael (1483-1520)
School of Athens (1510)

School-Athens.jpg

Sistine Madonna (1513)

Sistine-Madonna.jpg

Transfiguration (1520)

Transfiguration.jpg

Caravaggio (1571-1610)
Boy With Fruit Basket (1593)

Boy-Fruit-Basket.jpg

Judith Beheading Holofernes (1599)

Judith-Holofernes.jpg

David and Goliath (1599)

David-Goliath.jpg

Calling of Saint Matthew (1600)

Calling-Saint-Matthew.jpg

Incredulity of Saint Thomas (1602)

Thomas-Incredulity.jpg

Beheading of Saint John (1608)

Beheading-Saint-John.jpg

Rembrandt (1606-1669)
Raising of Lazarus (1632)

Raising-Lazarus.jpg

Abduction of Europa (1632)

Abduction-Europa.jpg

Storm on the Sea of Galilee (1633)

Storm-Sea-Galilee.jpg

Night Watch (1642)

Nightwatch.jpg

art-timenlines-IG-1.jpg

The MOMA and Barns are two of my fav medium to small museums

I guess the python/snake thing is like in Japan where the dick is censored so they started using tentacles

I don't really know anything about gay art, but on one of my favourite podcasts David Hockney was a big topic recently

$90.3 million? Was it donated to a museum as a tax write off?

I've seen Ugandan movie posters made with better technique.

I always liked much of the murals/graffiti I saw while living in Europe

For instance, this dope image about the exceedingly high price of Fuel in Cologne, Germany
Blu_Cologne_June11_1.jpg

18th century Japanese art was really kinky and graphic.
HokusaiDreamFishermansWife.jpg

ca1c01373f5c720b693594534d703f7b.jpg

These are some of the tamer examples cuz ya know how the mods get.

And that's a big reason why, @Gutter Chris lol. Re: Visual Arts. The Mona Lisa doesn't do shit for me either though.

Ive seen some old paintings that look like bad ass metal covers that I thought were kinda cool but I have no idea who the painters were , the name of the works or what years they come from . Any idea what im talking about ?

And that's a big reason why, @Gutter Chris lol. Re: Visual Arts like sculpture, painting, photography. The Mona Lisa doesn't do shit for me either though.
How do you feel about the most expensive nudes ever sold all being female nudes by Modigliani?
1280px-Modigliani_-_Nu_couch%C3%A9.jpg

$170.4 million

1280px-Amedeo_Modigliani_014.jpg

$157.2 million

1280px-Amedeo_Modigliani_Nu_Couch%C3%A9_au_coussin_Bleu.jpg

$118 million

800px-Amedeo_Modigliani_063.jpg

$69.0 million

Honestly? I think the structure and shape of the female form is laughably inferior. It's almost completely devoid of any real aesthetic detail, and so a poor subject of artistic expression. All of that estrogen production creates an overabunance of subcutaneous tissue.
<Oku02>
Appreciate the honesty, but as a heterosexual man I must disagree. And even putting sexual attraction aside, how can one not appreciate the striking proportions of a female athlete?
h4IYorNJlt3yD_fcl_dnTkHef0cLLBDF25WAVD4M9v4.jpg

Back in art school, we had a rotating cast of regulars for nude sessions. They came in all body types but our favorite was always the obese woman. Everyone got excited when she was assigned. Those big soft lumps of fat are surprisingly fun to paint. That's probably why Lucian Freud loved using them. Also, his Benefits Supervisor Sleeping set the record for most expensive painting sold by a living artist- 56 million.
lucian-freuds-benefits-supervisor-sleeping.jpg

I like contemporary art.

One of my faves, Timur Si-Qin:

PremierMachinicFuneraryPartII_B_2014_15_10241.jpg

The Premier Machinic Funerary Part II is the second installation in a series depicting a form of hyper-commercial ancestral worship. The installations present abstracted funerals for the 3D printed scans of ancient hominid fossils set in contemporary retail or commercial environments.

Arising before art, and marking a transition in the emergence of humans, intentional burial is the oldest of all rituals, as well as evidence of a complex cognition capable of the abstraction required for thinking about the afterlife. Dating back 60,000 years it has also been observed among the closely related Neanderthals, who decorated their transitions into the afterlife with flowers and antlers.

Perhaps more appropriately understood as anti-funerals, these installations mark the re-emergence of a lifeform as it transitions through various phases from organism to fossil, or from CT scan to 3D print. Phase transitions are said to occur at critical thresholds, switching a physical system from one state to another, like the critical points of temperature at which water changes from solid to liquid, or from liquid to gas. These critical thresholds structure the topological space of possibilities within any physical system and thereby define its expression into the physical world.

In this installation, the phase transitions undergone by this Homo Habilis (1.9 mya) and Paranthropus Aethiopicus (2.52 mya), which themselves originate at the threshold of humanness, provide an example of how being itself exists primarily in the topological realm of possibilities, and only in the secondary emerging into the physical through a given media.

PremierMachinicFuneraryPartII_B_2014_03_1024.jpg

PremierMachinicFuneraryPartII_B_2014_09_1024.jpg

PremierMachinicFuneraryPartII_B_2014_11_1024.jpg

PremierMachinicFuneraryPartII_B_2014_14_1024.jpg

PremierMachinicFuneraryPartII_B_2014_21_1024.jpg

PremierMachinicFuneraryPartI_A_2014_04_1024.jpg

PremierMachinicFuneraryPartI_A_2014_02_1024.jpg

PremierMachinicFuneraryPartI_A_2014_01_1024.jpg

Back