~ Western Art ~

NoDak

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I kind of got the motivation for this from the MBS Da Vinci thread. Included are five of the most revered historical figures along with examples of their work (only allowed a max of 20 images!). Vermeer, Monet and Renoir created some spectacular stuff as well. Obviously, there's a history of heavy Christianity-laced themes.

Do you have a fave movement, or artist?

Discuss... Err, enjoy? :confused:

Da Vinci (1452-1519)
Vitruvian Man (1490)

Vitruvian-Man.jpg

Mona Lisa (1506)

MonaLisa.jpg

Michelangelo (1475-1564)
David (1504)

David.jpg

Moses (1515)

Moses.jpg

Creation & Judgment (1512/1541)

Creation-Judgment.jpg

Last Judgment [Closer] (1541)

Last-Judgment.jpg

Raphael (1483-1520)
School of Athens (1510)

School-Athens.jpg

Sistine Madonna (1513)

Sistine-Madonna.jpg

Transfiguration (1520)

Transfiguration.jpg

Caravaggio (1571-1610)
Boy With Fruit Basket (1593)

Boy-Fruit-Basket.jpg

Judith Beheading Holofernes (1599)

Judith-Holofernes.jpg

David and Goliath (1599)

David-Goliath.jpg

Calling of Saint Matthew (1600)

Calling-Saint-Matthew.jpg

Incredulity of Saint Thomas (1602)

Thomas-Incredulity.jpg

Beheading of Saint John (1608)

Beheading-Saint-John.jpg

Rembrandt (1606-1669)
Raising of Lazarus (1632)

Raising-Lazarus.jpg

Abduction of Europa (1632)

Abduction-Europa.jpg

Storm on the Sea of Galilee (1633)

Storm-Sea-Galilee.jpg

Night Watch (1642)

Nightwatch.jpg

art-timenlines-IG-1.jpg

Newton (1805) [William Blake]

624px-Newton-WilliamBlake.jpg

Interesting story behind this one, @InternetHero. Francis Bacon, Isaac Newton and John Locke may very well all be among my ten favorite persons of all-time and I regard the Enlightenment as the greatest intellectual movement in human history, after the Scientific Revolution. Of course, I would.

Isaac Newton is shown sitting naked and crouched on a rocky outcropping covered with algae, apparently at the bottom of the sea. His attention is focused upon diagrams he draws with a compass upon a scroll. Blake's opposition to the Enlightenment was deeply rooted. In his annotation to his own engraving of the classical character Laocoön, Blake wrote "Art is the Tree of Life. Science is the Tree of Death."

The deistic view of God as a distant creator who played no role in daily affairs was anathema to Blake, who claimed to regularly experience visions of a spiritual nature. He contrasts his "four-fold vision" to the "single vision" of Newton, whose "natural religion" of scientific materialism he characterized as sterile. Newton was incorporated into Blake's infernal trinity along with the philosophers Francis Bacon and John Locke.

Ironic.

51uQozdQQaL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So we just post any western art/artists we like? That's a broad category, bud. I'll post some of my favorites later when I have the time.

@Bacco

Degas is my personal fave. Impressionism my favorite movement.
Caravaggio is the epitome of a great artist.

@Bacco

Degas is my personal fave. Impressionism my favorite movement.
Caravaggio was also impressive because he was a very violent man, the brutality on his works does'nt feel idealized because violence was his true nature

Check his life... dude got in countless brawls, killed a man, escape from his city to go live in Naples, caused troubles there too, end up murdered himself (recent theory was'nt fever but poison)

He was truly authentic

So we just post any western art/artists we like? That's a broad category, bud. I'll post some of my favorites later when I have the time.

Yeah - discuss, post, observe, whatever. There isn't really any goal or particular direction of the thread in mind other than I just felt like starting it lol. Art = Culture.

Caravaggio was also impressive because he was a very violent man, the brutalità on his works does'nt feel idealized because violence was his true nature

Check his life... dude got in countless brawls, killed a man, escape from his city to go live in Naples, caused troubles there too, end up murdered himself (recent theory was'nt fever but poison)

He was truly authentic

Yeah, I couldn't hide my bias in the OP. I think Michelangelo was the greatest artist of all-time bar none, but he was a sculptor first and foremost (which make his frescoes fucking baffling) but Caravaggio is my favorite painter specifically.

It's not just the artistic integrity but the style; they call it "Baroque", to me it's Chiaroscuro. He was the master of sex, violence, death and chiaroscuro painting. The light/shadow contrast was and is notably used extensively in the Film (Neo)-Noir subgenre. Like Blade Runner.

Yeah - discuss, post, observe, whatever. There isn't really any goal or particular direction of the thread in mind other than I just felt like starting it lol. Art = Culture.

Yeah, I couldn't hide my bias in the OP. I think Michelangelo was the greatest artist of all-time bar none, but he was a sculptor first and foremost (which make his frescoes fucking baffling) but Caravaggio is my favorite painter specifically.

It's not just the artistic integrity but the style; they call it "Baroque", to me it's Chiaroscuro. He was the master of sex, violence, death and chiaroscuro painting. The light/shadow contrast was and is notably used extensively in the Film (Neo)-Noir subgenre. Like Blade Runner.

Baroque is the movement that included music and architecture. Chiaroscuro is an art technique.

Caravaggio was also impressive because he was a very violent man, the brutality on his works does'nt feel idealized because violence was his true nature

He was truly authentic
It shows in his work. Even if you don't know anything about the artist, his works exudes passion.

Baroque is the movement that included music and architecture. Chiaroscuro is an art technique.

I'm also selling short the numerous different elements and techniques that went into Baroque painting, but not as any intended slight. I just refer to the era as that because it's such a striking, definitive and personally favored feature. :p

My fav are

Caravaggio
Tintoretto
Michelangelo
Leonardo (for the sketches)
De Chirico
Dalí
Hayez
Goya

That looks like a professional artist did a "kid" drawing. Kids don't use add black lines to emphasize the sun's rays.
I know, it's kinda weird type in kid drawing and it's all professional work. This was actually the least pro looking.

I know, it's kinda weird type in kid drawing and it's all professional work. This was actually the least pro looking.
They did this on the Office. Pam brought in a picture and someone noted the cross hatching and shading on the house. Not buying it Pam!

I thoroughly enjoy and respect the old masters, no doubt about it; but the art that I enjoy the most, the art that I buy and adorn my home with, comes mostly from the Fluxus movement.

Fluxus is an international movement, but it was born out from ideas on the process of creating art being more important than the actual final product had by Lithuanian-American artist George Maciunas.

Al Hansen, the grandfather of Beck, is one of my favorites.

Big fan of Caravaggio, Bruneleschi's work
I've personally seen many of Giotto's Frescos, pretty dope IRL

I liked Turner's paintings as well, not even sure why.

The sculptures of Mikey are pretty insane also. Shit i even enjoy the old Hesten movie The Agony and the Ecstasy for that very reason

Back