Wes Craven, Creator of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and SCREAM, Dies at the Age of 76

RIP

As a kid/teen my room was devoted to scream and anoes series.

I agree about his interviews. The scope of his intentions within the genre may be unmatched. When he had creative control he was probably the best director in the genre, or at least top 3. The psychological aspects of his best films truly made them more memorable. .

Wasn't he a philosophy teacher before he was a director? If you listen to NOES commentary he gets all philosophical and shit on that.

Wasn't he a philosophy teacher before he was a director? If you listen to NOES commentary he gets all philosophical and shit on that.

I think that's true, for his commentary on the People Under the Stairs he talks about the wealth gap, the perception of the American dream gone wrong, family values, empowerment

he was a very intelligent man

wat? nooooooooooooooooooooooo

how can this happen? theres already a shortage of good scary movie directors :(

RIP

Guy is a legend.

A great loss to the horror movie genre, R.I.P good sir.

He was incredibly creative and changed the genre multiple times throughout his career.

I love his last two films, My Soul to Take and Scream 4. Highly entertaining.

Yes, same.

Even his sub par films, were better than most generic horror garbage out there.

Wow; very interesting. To even use a real-life unexplained mystery as a basis for a horror film concept is pretty smart.

As a character, Freddie Krueger ended up making the most amount of sense out of the typical slasher villains, even though his concept requires the most amount of suspension of disbelief.

Both Michael Myers and Jason Vorhees become zombie-like as their films progressed, whereas Krueger has his own unique environment (dreams), where it makes sense that he's invincible and can make his own rules as he pleases.

Freddy is also terrifying and set apart from his contemporaries in the fact that he was the most supernatural, and the most human at the same time. We never hear Michael Myers or Jason speak. Like you said, they're zombie-like, or almost robotic. No emotion, nothing. With Freddy, we see a demon-like child killer/molester, who takes absolute joy in what he does. He jokes about it, he toys with his victims. While the other characters have a trademark weapon, butcher knife, machete, chainsaw, Freddy's glove is by far the most unique, and has become almost as iconic as the character itself, as well as a universal symbol for horror and fear. He even almost becomes "alive," in a sense, when people go to his unique domain, as you stated, dreams. While as children, especially, we had nightmares about all kinds of terrible things, when we were being chased by Freddy was there anything more frightening? It was where he was supposed to get us, and the only place were it seemed as though he really could.

Yeah, Craven was a very intelligent guy. So intelligent that I believe a lot of what he did is absolutely lost on the majority of his audience.

Last edited:
Legendary. Rest in Peace Wes Craven.

R.I.P "Fresh" Wes Craven. :(

I think that's true, for his commentary on the People Under the Stairs he talks about the wealth gap, the perception of the American dream gone wrong, family values, empowerment

he was a very intelligent man

It's true. He studied the hell out of certain philosophies for NOES. Probably many of his other films as well. That's the boon he was to the genre. He understood the mind more than the average Joe filmmaker. Guys like him are almost alien to the genre. There are good or great filmmakers in the genre, but there was one philosophy professor.

Imo the remake elm st was downright pitiful.

The original, even with its dated practical effects still stands far above the shit horribly acted and over cgi'd remake.

I can watch the original and still get chills, the remake just annoyed me.

It's true. He studied the hell out of certain philosophies for NOES. Probably many of his other films as well. That's the boon he was to the genre. He understood the mind more than the average Joe filmmaker. Guys like him are almost alien to the genre. There are good or great filmmakers in the genre, but there was one philosophy professor.

The whole "don't fall asleep" had a deeper meaning. Also, one by one anyone who can help nancy gets removed until only she is left to confront him.

Ok, I am watching NOES with commentary before the Ambien walrus takes me to the antarctic sea where the half woman, half fish Siren calls for me every night.

Imo the remake elm st was downright pitiful.

The original, even with its dated practical effects still stands far above the shit horribly acted and over cgi'd remake.

I can watch the original and still get chills, the remake just annoyed me.

The Tina kill is probably the best kill in movie history. Glen's kill is great too.

and don't forget
I'm your bf now, nancy
A-Nightmare-on-Elm-Street-Heather-Langenkamp.jpg

The whole "don't fall asleep" had a deeper meaning. Also, one by one anyone who can help nancy gets removed until only she is left to confront him.

Ok, I am watching NOES with commentary before the Ambien walrus takes me to the antarctic sea where the half woman, half fish Siren calls for me every night.

I wish I had NOES with commentary :(

Like some of the posters here, I don't particularly care for many horror movies, but Wes Craven made the ones I almost always wanted to see.

RIP you legend.

As a horror buff who considers Nightmare On Elm Street series his favorite.....this fucking sucks.

Back