Went to first Jiu Jitsu/Judo class today-feel worried

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a "Goshin-Ryu Ju Jitsu" dojo then it's not MMA. The latest trend is for traditional martial arts schools who teach styles that are "mixed" to claim that they are teaching MMA. Yes, technically they are teaching a mixture of martial arts, but they are not teaching Mixed Martial Arts.

Exactly like my dojo for kickboxing-kickboxing is obviously American Freestyle Karate but we wear gis, do our "kelow" and "sezat" bows and say "matay" to stop. We have kata too. But you can tell our club is based on a mixture of martial arts due to the fact that we teach Jiu Jitsu techniques at Black belt and also because Lau Gar Kung Fu is Chinese, not Japanese (Lau Gar Kickboxing is what we actually do though-it's pretty much kickboxing in a Lau Gar organisation)

I'm not sure what to do-many of you say leave this dojo but this club can't be all bad if my instructors at kickboxing/the other MMA/Ju Jitsu club learned from him.

The club is shutting down for the Summer in 2 weeks so i'll do 2 more sessions-the ppl I asked say that the guy knows what he's doing/that they bully beginners to discipline them (Cobra Kai wannabes?)

However, if I choose to NOT do this, is it wise that I boycott the Goshin Ryu Ju Jitsu club since one of their members started swearing at/insulting my kickboxing sensei?

Also, my home club sometimes does 8 week courses in MMA for approx $40 (1 hour session a week); do you think it's too expensive or that 8 weeks won't be enough? I decided to go to the JJJ class because I thought i'd get humiliated in MMA class since they are a nasty looking bunch at MMA and i'm not comfortable with face punches/takedowns (I assumed JJJ was easier to begin with since I already have over half the striking nailed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back