Went to first Jiu Jitsu/Judo class today-feel worried

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ronki23, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronki23

ronki23 White Belt

Hey,

i've been doing Lau Gar style kickboxing on-and-off since 2005 and have got a blue belt (halfway to black) in it. I have been training pretty solidly for the last year.

In March I fought in a light-continuos kickboxing tournament in the intermediate section and was pretty much pwned by a Chinese guy; considering this tournament (with my University club) is on again next year and I am on 21 months official experience; I can't do much kickboxing because 25 months and over puts me in Advanced category (if I still fight in Beginner's in the local tournaments, i'll be K.Od in National if they put me in advanced!)

Anyway, I decided to go to Japanese Ju Jitsu class (called Bushido Judo) to keep my martial arts training up without doing kickboxing. I had done 6-10 hours Ju Jitsu with my local club but they don't teach it as part of syllabus until Black Belt and they only do one 3 hour session a month (they did approx 45 mins once a week back in '07 but they stopped).

At this Ju Jitsu club I was pretty much humiliated and thrown in at the deep end :/ I didn't know any Japanese and when Sensei told me to throw a technique, he put me in a lock,threw me down and put me in a submission. In my first demo, he even fish hooked me to get me up!

^I'm worried about 3 things

a) My cheek being torn by fish hooking
    b) My collarbone snapping from sub-standard breakfalling (I know it but haven't mastered it)
    c) My head recoiling back from a throw/me getting K.Od by hitting the matt

^Next class is next week :/ I want to be ready

One of the reasons I did this was to learn how to take the pain (i've only just learned to keep fighting/absorb the blows in stand up kickboxing but this is something else!)

P.S

How do Cung Le/Sakruba manage to deal with these fighters :/ My friend from the rival club is 10x British Kickboxing Champion and he's managed to beat a few Ju Jitsu fighters (a strange type of fight-it's like San Shou but points are scored)

2. JohnathanWF**

JohnathanWF** Banned Banned

Can't help you on much, but as for how to use striking to survive BJJ guys, master working at range. Front kicks, jabs, etc. If they go in for a takedown, make sure you're far enough away to either slam a knee in or get out of the way. Make them fight where you want them.

Watch Semmy Schilt for an idea.

3. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Okay first of all, Cung Le and Sakuraba are polar opposites as far as their fighting styles.

Second of all, any reputable judo school will put heavy emphasis on proper falling, especially for beginners. I would find somewhere new if this continues.

4. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

Wow. Awesome thread...

5. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Do BJJ instead. Just say no to JJJ.

6. MaiaBJJ

MaiaBJJ Green Belt

Go to a better school...

7. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

This. Why pay money to have someone mop you up.

8. Doctor Venture

Doctor Venture Black Belt

Youre an idiot for being fish hooked by your instructor and planning on going back.

9. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

if my instructor fish hooked me to pick me up from the ground, he'd never see me or the finger he used for hooking ever again.

10. ManilaIce

ManilaIce Orange Belt

if any instructor put a finger in my mouth I'd be gone.

as far as preparing for the next session, work on bite strength. chew leather or jerky non-stop. get your jaw muscles jakt. then, when your instructor reaches into your mouth to pull you off the mat, bite his finger. bite that bitch off.

then find a BJJ school.

11. BSFT

BSFT Brown Belt

fish hook? seriously? F that.

12. stile0

stile0 Purple Belt

this seems pretty odd.

13. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Fixed

14. DemonEffigy

DemonEffigy Yellow Belt

this... and LOL :icon_chee

15. supersuk

supersuk White Belt

IMHO, if you're being fishhooked and royally humiliated, you probably deserved it.

Although we dont fishhook or abuse new people, but I see this kinda thing all the time at my dojo. New guy with little martial arts background comes in more interested in selling what he knows and proving himself than coming in as a student.

You probably told them you've trained in other martial arts, mma, judo, jiu jitsu, pretty good at a few throws but not in a humble way, so they toss you around to see if you really can back up what your mouth is cashing.

That would be my guess.... only a guess because I wasn't there to witness it. I can't imagine any other reason why any reputable school looking to keep students and a good reputation would thrash and humiliate a total beginner unless he was asking for it.

16. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

Japanese Jujutsu guys are still living in the past. They practice techniques that would get you assault charges. Look for a reputable Judo place in your area they're everywhere. If you're lookin to be a serious grappler take up BJJ.

If you're shit out of luck stay at this place but ask why you're being treated harshly as you're just a beginner. Did they even teach you how to fall properly by using ukemi (breakfalls)?

If you're being forced to know technique after mere months of training then getting punished if you don't you need to get outta there.

17. ronki23

ronki23 White Belt

Blimey-it must be pretty dangerous going back if you all say that I should do BJJ and stay way from somewhere that fish hooks you.

This place can't be that bad tho-the instructor here taught my kickboxing instructors,a good friend of mine,a work colleague and for 2 months,taught JJJ to my friend who's British champion.

Oh yeah-the reason he fish hooked me/put me in these intricate locks- he asked me if I did JJ before and I said I did 2x 3 hour lessons once a month BUT I said that I was by no means an expert.
    He expected me to know all the Japanese

The instructor's son told me that they put me in the deep end because they knew that I had MA experience/knew strikes

18. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

Doesn't matter what MA experience you had, you're not familiar with their curriculum and/or terminalogy and you shouldn't have been fish hooked lol.

19. Billy_kruel

Billy_kruel Guest

Fish hooking is a legitimate technique... at a soccer riot.

20. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Bring some needles, lava, and some friends with you next time and show him how shit goes down on the street

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.